W G McCluggage
Affiliation: Northern Ireland
- McCluggage W, Oliva E, Connolly L, McBride H, Young R. An immunohistochemical analysis of ovarian small cell carcinoma of hypercalcemic type. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2004;23:330-6 pubmed..Germ cell and neuroendocrine origins seem highly unlikely. ..
- McCluggage W, Ganesan R, Hirschowitz L, Miller K, Rollason T. Ectopic prostatic tissue in the uterine cervix and vagina: report of a series with a detailed immunohistochemical analysis. Am J Surg Pathol. 2006;30:209-15 pubmed..Possible theories of histogenesis include a developmental anomaly, metaplasia of preexisting endocervical glands, and derivation from mesonephric remnants. ..
- McCluggage W, Strand K, Abdulkadir A. Immunohistochemical localization of metallothionein in benign and malignant epithelial ovarian tumors. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2002;12:62-5 pubmed..Whether high MT expression is an independent prognostic factor and increased expression indicates chemotherapy resistance in ovarian cancer, as has been previously suggested, should be determined by further studies. ..
- McCluggage W. Recent advances in immunohistochemistry in gynaecological pathology. Histopathology. 2002;40:309-26 pubmed..A newly developed monoclonal antibody HMGIC which is expressed in vulvovaginal aggressive angiomyxoma may prove to be of value in the often difficult distinction of this lesion from its histological mimics. ..
- McCluggage W. Lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma of the vagina. J Clin Pathol. 2001;54:964-5 pubmed..In situ hybridisation and immunohistochemistry for Epstein-Barr virus were negative. A review of the literature reveals that such neoplasms appear to be extremely rare within the female genital tract outside of the cervix. ..
- McCluggage W, Boyde A. Uterine angioleiomyomas: a report of 3 cases of a distinctive benign leiomyoma variant. Int J Surg Pathol. 2007;15:262-5 pubmed..Uterine angioleiomyoma has a close morphological resemblance to the similarly named skin tumor. We review uterine smooth-muscle and other mesenchymal neoplasms in which prominent vascular channels are a feature. ..
- McCluggage W, Shah R, Connolly L, McBride H. Intestinal-type cervical adenocarcinoma in situ and adenocarcinoma exhibit a partial enteric immunophenotype with consistent expression of CDX2. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2008;27:92-100 pubmed
- McCluggage W, Ganesan R, Hirschowitz L, Rollason T. Cellular angiofibroma and related fibromatous lesions of the vulva: report of a series of cases with a morphological spectrum wider than previously described. Histopathology. 2004;45:360-8 pubmed..We believe these lesions fall within the broad spectrum of fibromatous lesions of the vulva...
- McCluggage W, Oliva E, Herrington C, McBride H, Young R. CD10 and calretinin staining of endocervical glandular lesions, endocervical stroma and endometrioid adenocarcinomas of the uterine corpus: CD10 positivity is characteristic of, but not specific for, mesonephric lesions and is not specific for endome. Histopathology. 2003;43:144-50 pubmed..In this study the specificity of these two antibodies in evaluating cervical and uterine glandular lesions and the value of CD10 in determining whether stroma is endometriotic or not were investigated...
- McCluggage W. Uterine carcinosarcomas (malignant mixed Mullerian tumors) are metaplastic carcinomas. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2002;12:687-90 pubmed..Prospective studies should be performed to ascertain whether such adjuvant therapies are more effective than traditional sarcoma based therapies in the treatment of these aggressive neoplasms...
- McCluggage W, Young R. Ovarian sertoli-leydig cell tumors with pseudoendometrioid tubules (pseudoendometrioid sertoli-leydig cell tumors). Am J Surg Pathol. 2007;31:592-7 pubmed..The presence of more typical Sertoli cell elements and Leydig cells, an absence of squamous elements, endometriosis or associated adenofibroma, and the characteristic immunophenotype assist in diagnosis...
- McCluggage W, Young R. Tubulo-squamous polyp: a report of ten cases of a distinctive hitherto uncharacterized vaginal polyp. Am J Surg Pathol. 2007;31:1013-9 pubmed