Lorna M Williamson
Affiliation: National Blood Service
- Screening programmes for foetomaternal alloimmune thrombocytopeniaL M Williamson
University of Cambridge, Division of Transfusion Medicine, East Anglia Centre, Cambridge, UK
Vox Sang 74:385-9. 1998....
- Methylene blue-treated fresh-frozen plasma: what is its contribution to blood safety?Lorna M Williamson
University of Cambridge and National Blood Service, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Transfusion 43:1322-9. 2003
- Leucocyte-depleted blood in prevention of post-operative infections following elective orthopaedic and cardiac proceduresL M Williamson
National Blood Service, and University of Cambridge
Vox Sang 83:457-60. 2002
- Transfusion triggers in the UKLorna M Williamson
University of Cambridge/National Blood Service, Cambridge, UK
Vox Sang 83:217-9. 2002
- Using haemovigilance data to set blood safety prioritiesLorna M Williamson
University of Cambridge, National Blood Service, England
Vox Sang 83:65-9. 2002
- The impact of universal leukodepletion of the blood supply on hemovigilance reports of posttransfusion purpura and transfusion-associated graft-versus-host diseaseLorna M Williamson
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge, and NHS Blood and Transplant, Long Road, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Transfusion 47:1455-67. 2007....
- Correcting haemostasisL M Williamson
University of Cambridge, Division of Transfusion Medicine/National Blood Service, Long Road, Cambridge CB2 2PT, UK
Vox Sang 87:51-7. 2004
- The natural history of fetomaternal alloimmunization to the platelet-specific antigen HPA-1a (PlA1, Zwa) as determined by antenatal screeningL M Williamson
Division of Transfusion Medicine, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Blood 92:2280-7. 1998..HPA-1a and HLA-DRB3*0101 typing combined with anti-HPA-1a titration allows selection of the majority of pregnancies at risk of severe thrombocytopenia...
- Evaluation of plasma and red cells obtained after leucocyte depletion of whole bloodL M Williamson
National Blood Service, East Anglia Centre, Cambridge, UK
Transfus Med 9:51-61. 1999..There was no evidence of complement or coagulation activation with significant removal of preformed C3a in cold hold units. Plasma storage parameters were maintained at control levels for 12 months...
- Systems contributing to the assurance of transfusion safety in the United KingdomL M Williamson
Division of Transfusion Medicine, University of Cambridge National Blood Service, East Anglia Centre, Cambridge, UK
Vox Sang 77:82-7. 1999..A number of other initiatives exist in the UK which also have importance in contributing to transfusion safety. This article reviews these other key contributors, allowing SHOT to be placed in context...
- A randomized trial of solvent/detergent-treated and standard fresh-frozen plasma in the coagulopathy of liver disease and liver transplantationL M Williamson
Division of Transfusion Medicine, University of Cambridge, UK
Transfusion 39:1227-34. 1999..This study aimed to assess the efficacy of SD-treated plasma in correcting the coagulopathy associated with liver disease and liver transplantation...
- HPA-1a antibody potency and bioactivity do not predict severity of fetomaternal alloimmune thrombocytopeniaCedric Ghevaert
National Blood Service, Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Transfusion 47:1296-305. 2007..The antenatal management of fetomaternal alloimmune thrombocytopenia (FMAIT) due to HPA-1a antibodies remains controversial, and a test identifying pregnancies that do not require therapy would be of clinical value...
- Developing recombinant HPA-1a-specific antibodies with abrogated Fcgamma receptor binding for the treatment of fetomaternal alloimmune thrombocytopeniaCedric Ghevaert
NHS Blood and Transplant, Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 118:2929-38. 2008..These results provide rationale for human clinical studies...
- The effect of methylene blue photoinactivation and methylene blue removal on the quality of fresh-frozen plasmaMargaret Garwood
National Blood Service, England and North Wales, United Kingdom
Transfusion 43:1238-47. 2003..CONCLUSION: MB removal, by either of the available filters, has little impact on the coagulation factor content of plasma, but freezing of plasma before MB treatment results in a small additional loss...
- The effect of universal leukoreduction on postoperative infections and length of hospital stay in elective orthopedic and cardiac surgeryCharlotte A Llewelyn
National Blood Service, Cambridge and Oxford Centres, England, UK
Transfusion 44:489-500. 2004..A before and after study was undertaken to investigate the effect of universal leukoreduction (ULR) in the UK on postoperative length of hospital stay (LOS) and infections...
- Management and outcome of 200 cases of fetomaternal alloimmune thrombocytopeniaCedric Ghevaert
National Blood Service Cambridge, Cambridge and Oxford, Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Transfusion 47:901-10. 2007..Fetomaternal alloimmune thrombocytopenia (FMAIT) is the commonest cause of severe thrombocytopenia in term neonates but its management remains controversial...
- Assessment of removal of human cytomegalovirus from blood components by leukocyte depletion filters using real-time quantitative PCRMicaela Rios Visconti
Division of Transfusion Medicine, National Blood Service, Long Rd, Cambridge CB2 2PT, England
Blood 103:1137-9. 2004..81(10)log reduction) and from 3.8 x 10(2) to 4.77 copies per microliter (1.9(10)log reduction) in platelets. These results suggest that LD by filtration reduces viral burden but does not completely remove CMV from blood components...
- Intravascular survival of red cells coated with a mutated human anti-D antibody engineered to lack destructive activityKathryn L Armour
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 2PT, United Kingdom
Blood 107:2619-26. 2006..These findings suggest that G1Deltanab-coated RBCs were not hemolysed but temporarily sequestered in the spleen and that our approach merits investigation in larger studies...
- Variables determining blockage of WBC-depleting filters by Hb sickle cell trait donationsMartin J Beard
National Blood Service, Crescent Drive, Brentwood, Essex CM15 8DP, UK
Transfusion 44:422-30. 2004..Sickle cell trait donations can block leukodepletion (LD) filters or fail to LD, but the variables affecting blockage are unclear...
- The quality of fresh-frozen plasma produced from whole blood stored at 4 degrees C overnightRebecca Cardigan
National Blood Service, England and North Wales, UK
Transfusion 45:1342-8. 2005..The aim of this study was to assess whether the quality of FFP produced from whole blood stored at 4 degrees C overnight is adequate for its intended purpose...
- Tracking and characterisation of transfused platelets by two colour, whole blood flow cytometryDarren L Hughes
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Br J Haematol 130:791-4. 2005..1 +/- 6.7 to 7.3 +/- 3.3% at 6 h. This method avoids radio or chemical labelling, and could be used to assess novel platelet preparations post-transfusion...
- Serious hazards of transfusion: a decade of hemovigilance in the UKDorothy Stainsby
Transfus Med Rev 20:273-82. 2006..The UK blood services have developed strategies to reduce these risks. Future SHOT data will evaluate the success of these and other blood safety improvements...
- Tracing blood units to their recipients: results of a two-centre studyS Ballard
National Blood Service Medical Research Council Clinical Studies Unit, Cambridge, UK
Transfus Med 13:127-30. 2003..These results have implications for 'lookback studies' involving blood transfusion. Further efforts are required to educate those involved in transfusing blood about the need for accurate documentation...
- Risks of fresh frozen plasma and plateletsSheila MacLennan
National Blood Service, Leeds Centre, England
J Trauma 60:S46-50. 2006..Amotosalen is also licensed for platelet concentrates, with the added benefit of bacterial killing. In the UK, concern regarding vCJD has led to importation of US FFP for children...
- Persistence of HTLV-I in blood components after leukocyte depletionJoanne Pennington
Department of Haematology, Division of Transfusion Medicine, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
Blood 100:677-81. 2002..These results suggest that LD alone may not provide complete protection from HTLV-I transmission by transfusion...
- The Transfusion Alternatives Preoperatively in Sickle Cell Disease (TAPS) study: a randomised, controlled, multicentre clinical trialJo Howard
Department of Haematology, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Lancet 381:930-8. 2013..No consensus exists on whether preoperative blood transfusions are beneficial in patients with sickle-cell disease. We assessed whether perioperative complication rates would be altered by preoperative transfusion...
- The effect of recombinant IgG antibodies against the leucine-33 form of the platelet beta3 integrin (HPA-1a) on platelet functionLotta Joutsi-Korhonen
University of Cambridge Department of Haematology, National Blood Service Cambridge, Long Road, Cambridge, UK
Thromb Haemost 91:743-54. 2004..As the effect on platelet function is modest with HPA-1a1b (fetal type) platelets, the mutated HPA-1a antibodies described here could be developed further for FMAIT therapy...
- Transfusion hazard reporting: powerful data, but do we know how best to use it?Lorna M Williamson
Transfusion 42:1249-52. 2002