Matthew R Sydes
Affiliation: National Institute for Medical Research
- Flexible trial design in practice - stopping arms for lack-of-benefit and adding research arms mid-trial in STAMPEDE: a multi-arm multi-stage randomized controlled trialMatthew R Sydes
MRC Clinical Trials Unit, London, UK
Trials 13:168. 2012..We describe methodological and practical issues arising with (1) stopping recruitment to research arms following a pre-planned intermediate analysis and (2) adding a new research arm during the trial...
- Adjuvant therapy with oral sodium clodronate in locally advanced and metastatic prostate cancer: long-term overall survival results from the MRC PR04 and PR05 randomised controlled trialsDavid P Dearnaley
Royal Marsden Foundation Trust and Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Lancet Oncol 10:872-6. 2009..We report the final analyses of long-term survival data with additional follow-up in both trials...
- Interim monitoring of efficacy data is important and appropriateMatthew R Sydes
MRC Clinical Trials Unit, Cancer Group, 222 Euston Road, London NWI 2DA, UK
J Clin Epidemiol 61:203-4. 2008
- Issues in applying multi-arm multi-stage methodology to a clinical trial in prostate cancer: the MRC STAMPEDE trialMatthew R Sydes
MRC Clinical Trials Unit, London, UK
Trials 10:39. 2009..The MAMS design will potentially facilitate evaluation and testing of new therapies in this and other diseases...
- Potential pitfalls in the design and reporting of clinical trialsMatthew R Sydes
Cancer Group, Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Unit, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 11:694-700. 2010..The areas covered include: assessing the scientific idea; trial design; size and duration of the trial; analysis; and reporting and presentation...
- Systematic qualitative review of the literature on data monitoring committees for randomized controlled trialsMatthew R Sydes
MRC Clinical Trials Unit, 222 Euston Rd, London NW1 2DA, UK
Clin Trials 1:60-79. 2004..To systematically review the published literature on data monitoring committees (DMCs) for randomized controlled trials (RCT) and summarize information and opinions on best practice. This was part of the DAMOCLES project...
- Reported use of data monitoring committees in the main published reports of randomized controlled trials: a cross-sectional studyMatthew R Sydes
MRC Clinical Trials Unit, 222 Euston Road, London NW1 2DA, UK
Clin Trials 1:48-59. 2004..We describe a review of published main reports of randomized controlled trials (RCTs), in order to measure the frequency of reported use of data monitoring committees (DMCs) and factors associated with reported DMC use...
- Improvement in histologic response but not survival in osteosarcoma patients treated with intensified chemotherapy: a randomized phase III trial of the European Osteosarcoma IntergroupIan J Lewis
Paediatric Oncology and Haematology, St James University Hospital, Leeds, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:112-28. 2007..It was then proposed that survival could be improved by increasing the planned dose intensity of cisplatin and doxorubicin...
- Escalated-dose versus standard-dose conformal radiotherapy in prostate cancer: first results from the MRC RT01 randomised controlled trialDavid P Dearnaley
Institute of Cancer Research and Royal Marsden Hospitals, Sutton and London, UK
Lancet Oncol 8:475-87. 2007..We aimed to present the first analyses of effectiveness from the MRC RT01 randomised controlled trial...
- Implementing the UK Medical Research Council (MRC) RT01 trial (ISRCTN 47772397): methods and practicalities of a randomised controlled trial of conformal radiotherapy in men with localised prostate cancerMatthew R Sydes
Cancer Division, MRC Clinical Trials Unit, London, UK
Radiother Oncol 72:199-211. 2004..Radiotherapy is the most frequently used treatment for men with localised prostate cancer. Conformal radiotherapy (CFRT) is a relatively new development. MRC RT01 was set-up to explore optimum CFRT dose...
- Presence of chemotherapy-induced toxicity predicts improved survival in patients with localised extremity osteosarcoma treated with doxorubicin and cisplatin: a report from the European Osteosarcoma IntergroupAnne McTiernan
Department of Oncology, University College Hospital, London, UK
Eur J Cancer 48:703-12. 2012..We undertook a retrospective analysis of patients treated within three consecutive randomised controlled trials (RCTs) of the European Osteosarcoma Intergroup...
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial of oral sodium clodronate for metastatic prostate cancer (MRC PR05 Trial)David P Dearnaley
Institute of Cancer Research and Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:1300-11. 2003....
- The early toxicity of escalated versus standard dose conformal radiotherapy with neo-adjuvant androgen suppression for patients with localised prostate cancer: results from the MRC RT01 trial (ISRCTN47772397)David P Dearnaley
Institute of Cancer Research and Royal Marsden Hospitals, Sutton, UK
Radiother Oncol 83:31-41. 2007..Conformal radiotherapy (CFRT) raises the possibility that radiotherapy doses can be increased and long-term efficacy outcomes improved, with safety an important consideration...
- Comparison of outcomes in studies of advanced Hodgkin's lymphomaPeter W M Johnson
J Clin Oncol 24:3309; author reply 3309-10. 2006
- Comparison of ABVD and alternating or hybrid multidrug regimens for the treatment of advanced Hodgkin's lymphoma: results of the United Kingdom Lymphoma Group LY09 Trial (ISRCTN97144519)Peter W M Johnson
Cancer Research UK Clinical Centre, Somers Cancer Research Building, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 23:9208-18. 2005..To perform an open-label, randomized, controlled trial comparing treatment with doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine (ABVD) with two multidrug regimens (MDRs) for advanced Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL)...
- High-dose therapy improves progression-free survival and survival in relapsed follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: results from the randomized European CUP trialHarry C Schouten
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 21:3918-27. 2003....
- Oral sodium clodronate for nonmetastatic prostate cancer--results of a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial: Medical Research Council PR04 (ISRCTN61384873)Malcolm D Mason
Velindre Hospital, Department of Oncology and Palliative Medicine, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:765-76. 2007..Adjuvant bisphosphonate treatment improves outcomes of patients with bone metastasis-negative breast cancer, but the effects of bisphosphonates on bone metastases in prostate cancer are not known...
- Resolving the optimal timing of radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy: the need for further researchChristopher Parker
J Clin Oncol 26:e3. 2008
- Evaluating the relationship between erectile dysfunction and dose received by the penile bulb: using data from a randomised controlled trial of conformal radiotherapy in prostate cancer (MRC RT01, ISRCTN47772397)Stephen A Mangar
Academic Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology, The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust and The Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Radiother Oncol 80:355-62. 2006..To evaluate the relationship between erectile function and the radiation dose to the penile bulb and other proximal penile structures in men receiving conformal radiotherapy (CFRT) for prostate cancer (PCa)...
- Radiotherapy and androgen deprivation in combination after local surgery (RADICALS): a new Medical Research Council/National Cancer Institute of Canada phase III trial of adjuvant treatment after radical prostatectomyChris Parker
Academic Unit of Radiotherapy and Oncology, Institute of Cancer Research and the Royal, Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, Surrey, UK
BJU Int 99:1376-9. 2007