Affiliation: National Institute for Medical Research
- Which behavioral, emotional and school problems in middle-childhood predict early sexual behavior?Alison Parkes
CSO Medical Research Council Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow, 4 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow, G12 8RZ, UK
J Youth Adolesc 43:507-27. 2014..Implications for the identification of children at risk and targeted intervention are discussed, as well as suggestions for further research...
- Are sexual media exposure, parental restrictions on media use and co-viewing TV and DVDs with parents and friends associated with teenagers' early sexual behaviour?Alison Parkes
Medical Research Council Chief Scientist Office Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, 4 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8RZ, United Kingdom Electronic address
J Adolesc 36:1121-33. 2013..Specific parental restrictions on sexual media may offer more protection against early sex than other restrictions or parental co-viewing. Further research is required to establish causal mechanisms...
- Parenting interventions for male young offenders: a review of the evidence on what worksK Buston
MRC Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, 4 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8RZ, UK
J Adolesc 35:731-42. 2012..Future evaluations should collect longer-term behavioural parent and child outcome data and should use comparison groups and, ideally, randomization...
- Do television and electronic games predict children's psychosocial adjustment? Longitudinal research using the UK Millennium Cohort StudyAlison Parkes
Medical Research Council CSO Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8RZ, UK
Arch Dis Child 98:341-8. 2013..Most research is from North America and focuses on television. Few longitudinal studies have compared the effects of TV and electronic games, or have investigated gender differences...
- Abortion incidence and access to services in the United States, 2008Rachel K Jones
Guttmacher Institute, New York, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 43:41-50. 2011..Access to abortion services is a critical issue, particularly since the number of abortion providers has been falling for the last three decades...
- Is parenting associated with teenagers' early sexual risk-taking, autonomy and relationship with sexual partners?Alison Parkes
Sexual Health and Families Team, Medical Research Council Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, Glasgow, Scotland
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 43:30-40. 2011..Extensive research has explored the relationship between parenting and teenagers' sexual risk-taking. Whether parenting is associated with wider aspects of teenagers' capacity to form satisfying sexual relationships is unknown...
- Comparison of teenagers' early same-sex and heterosexual behavior: UK data from the SHARE and RIPPLE studiesAlison Parkes
Medical Research Council, Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow, 4 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow, UK
J Adolesc Health 48:27-35. 2011....
- Does early sexual debut reduce teenagers' participation in tertiary education? Evidence from the SHARE longitudinal studyAlison Parkes
Medical Research Council Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow, Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow, United Kingdom
J Adolesc 33:741-54. 2010..Early sexual experience may predict disengagement from tertiary education, although further research is needed to explore causal pathways...
- Contraceptive method at first sexual intercourse and subsequent pregnancy risk: findings from a secondary analysis of 16-year-old girls from the RIPPLE and SHARE studiesAlison Parkes
Medical Research Council Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
J Adolesc Health 44:55-63. 2009..This study examined associations between contraceptive method at first intercourse and subsequent pregnancy in 16-year-old girls...
- The quality of young people's heterosexual relationships: a longitudinal analysis of characteristics shaping subjective experienceDaniel Wight
Sexual and Reproductive Health Programme, Medical Research Council, Social Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow, Scotland
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 40:226-37. 2008..Perceived quality of sexual relationships may be related to gender, background characteristics, circumstances of first intercourse and subsequent sexual history...
- Explaining associations between adolescent substance use and condom useAlison Parkes
MRC Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
J Adolesc Health 40:180.e1-18. 2007....
- Do sexual health services encourage teenagers to use condoms? A longitudinal studyAlison Parkes
MRC Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care 31:271-80. 2005..This study investigated whether 15/16-year-olds who attended sexual health services used condoms more and had different beliefs about condoms compared to those who did not use these services...
- Teenagers' use of sexual health services: perceived need, knowledge and ability to accessAlison Parkes
Medical Research Council Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care 30:217-24. 2004..This paper presents the first UK large-scale quantitative analysis of these factors, comparing those who use services with those who do not...
- The multi-dimensional neighbourhood and health: a cross-sectional analysis of the Scottish Household Survey, 2001Alison Parkes
ESRC Centre for Neighbourhood Research, Department of Urban Studies, University of Glasgow, 25 Bute Gardens Glasgow G12 8RS, UK
Health Place 12:1-18. 2006..There was also some evidence that the relationship between neighbourhood factors and health varied according to the population subgroup, although not in a consistent manner...