- Can additional histopathological examination of ultrasound-guided axillary lymph node core biopsies improve preoperative diagnosis of primary breast cancer nodal metastasis?R Mullen
Department of Breast Surgery, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
Clin Radiol 68:704-7. 2013..To assess whether an additional histopathological examination of ultrasound-guided core biopsy (USCB)/fine-needle aspiration (FNA) of abnormal axillary lymph nodes (ALN) can improve the preoperative diagnosis of axillary nodal metastasis...
- Involved anterior margins after breast conserving surgery: is re-excision required?R Mullen
East of Scotland Breast Service, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 38:302-6. 2012..However, the importance of an involved anterior margin (IAM) is less clear. The purpose of this study was to review an aggressive approach to IAM and hence assess whether anterior margin re-excision (RE) yields clinical benefit...
- Death within 48 h--adverse events after general surgical proceduresRussell Mullen
Department of Surgery, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Surgeon 10:1-5. 2012..Comorbidity and emergency intervention are established risk factors for post-operative mortality. This study sought to identify adverse events associated with death within 48 h of general surgical procedures...
- MR imaging of fistula in ano: indications and contribution to surgical assessmentR Mullen
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Queen Margaret Hospital, Dunfermline, UK
Acta Chir Belg 111:393-7. 2011..Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is the imaging modality of choice for fistula in ano. The purpose of this study was to analyse the use of MRI, and to assess its contribution towards the assessment of this sometimes difficult condition...
- Volvulus of the sigmoid colon treated by percutaneous endoscopic colostomyRussell Mullen
Department of General Surgery, Queen Margaret Hospital, Dunfermline, UK
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 19:e64-6. 2009..There are various complications associated with PEC, the most serious of which is tube migration and fecal peritonitis. Our experience supports the use of PEC to treat sigmoid volvulus in those too frail for colonic resection...
- Microcoil embolisation of mycotic cystic artery pseudoaneurysm: a viable option in high-risk patientsRussell Mullen
Department of General Surgery, Queen Margaret Hospital, Whitefield Road, Dunfermline, KY12 0SU, UK
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 32:1275-9. 2009..We highlight our experience with successful coil embolisation of this condition without the need for surgical intervention. This is followed by a comprehensive review of the literature regarding management of this unusual condition...
- Mortality associated with the treatment of gallstone disease: a 10-year contemporary national experienceJohn M Scollay
Department of Surgery, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee D1 9SY, UK
World J Surg 35:643-7. 2011..Gallstones remain a common clinical problem requiring skilled operative and nonoperative management. The aim of the present population-based study was to investigate causes of gallstone-related mortality in Scotland...