John J V McMurray
- Kristensen S, Jhund P, KÃ¸ber L, McKelvie R, Zile M, Anand I, et al. Relative Importance of History of Heart Failure Hospitalization and N-Terminal Pro-B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Level as Predictors of Outcomes in Patients With Heart Failure and Preserved Ejection Fraction. JACC Heart Fail. 2015;3:478-486 pubmed publisher..18; 95% CI: 4.96 to 7.69). Recent hospitalization for HF or an elevated level of NT-proBNP identified patients at higher risk forÂ cardiovascular events, and this risk was increased further when both factors were present. ..
- Rørth R, Jhund P, Mogensen U, Kristensen S, Petrie M, Køber L, et al. Risk of Incident Heart Failure in Patients With Diabetes and Asymptomatic Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction. Diabetes Care. 2018;41:1285-1291 pubmed publisher..In patients with ALVSD, diabetes is associated with an increased risk of developing HF. Development of HF is associated with an increased risk of death irrespective of diabetes status. ..
- Jhund P, Fu M, Bayram E, Chen C, Negrusz Kawecka M, Rosenthal A, et al. Efficacy and safety of LCZ696 (sacubitril-valsartan) according to age: insights from PARADIGM-HF. Eur Heart J. 2015;36:2576-84 pubmed publisher..LCZ696 was more beneficial than enalapril across the spectrum of age in PARADIGM-HF with a favourable benefit-risk profile in all age groups. ..
- Damman K, Gori M, Claggett B, Jhund P, Senni M, Lefkowitz M, et al. Renal Effects and Associated Outcomes During Angiotensin-Neprilysin Inhibition in Heart Failure. JACC Heart Fail. 2018;6:489-498 pubmed publisher..38). Compared with enalapril, sacubitril/valsartan led to a slower rate of decrease in the eGFR and improved cardiovascular outcomes, even in patients with chronic kidney disease, despite causing a modest increase in UACR. ..
- Abdul Rahim A, Perez A, Fulton R, Jhund P, Latini R, Tognoni G, et al. Risk of Stroke in Chronic Heart Failure Patients Without Atrial Fibrillation: Analysis of the Controlled Rosuvastatin in Multinational Trial Heart Failure (CORONA) and the Gruppo Italiano per lo Studio della Sopravvivenza nell'Insufficienza Cardiaca-. Circulation. 2015;131:1486-94; discussion 1494 pubmed publisher..A small number of demographic and clinical variables identified a subset of patients who have heart failure without AF at a high risk of stroke. ..
- Docherty K, McMurray J. Angiotensin receptor-neprilysin inhibitors: A new paradigm in heart failure with reduced ejection fraction. Int J Cardiol. 2019;281:179-185 pubmed publisher..This article will review the development of sacubitril/valsartan, the evidence for its use and its current and future role in the management of HFrEF. ..
- Badar A, Perez Moreno A, Jhund P, Wong C, Hawkins N, Cleland J, et al. Relationship between angina pectoris and outcomes in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction: an analysis of the Controlled Rosuvastatin Multinational Trial in Heart Failure (CORONA). Eur Heart J. 2014;35:3426-33 pubmed publisher..Whether these patients would benefit from more aggressive medical therapy or percutaneous revascularization is not known and merits further investigation. ..
- Green J, Hernandez A, D Agostino R, Granger C, Janmohamed S, Jones N, et al. Harmony Outcomes: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of the effect of albiglutide on major cardiovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus-Rationale, design, and baseline characteristics. Am Heart J. 2018;203:30-38 pubmed publisher..Harmony Outcomes will provide information critical to our understanding of this heterogenous class of glucose-lowering agents. ..
- Rush C, Campbell R, Jhund P, Connolly E, Preiss D, Gardner R, et al. Falling Cardiovascular Mortality in Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction and Implications for Clinical Trials. JACC Heart Fail. 2015;3:603-14 pubmed publisher..001). In trials of patients with HF-REF, the proportion of deaths adjudicated as cardiovascular has decreased. Cardiovascular mortality, and not all-cause mortality, should be used as an endpoint for trials of new treatments for HF-REF. ..
- Badar A, Perez Moreno A, Hawkins N, Jhund P, Brunton A, Anand I, et al. Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes of Patients With Coronary Artery Disease and Angina: Analysis of the Irbesartan in Patients With Heart Failure and Preserved Systolic Function Trial. Circ Heart Fail. 2015;8:717-24 pubmed publisher..01). Patients with heart failure and preserved ejection fraction and CAD are at higher risk of all-cause mortality and sudden death when compared with those without CAD. URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00095238. ..
- Okumura N, Jhund P, Gong J, Lefkowitz M, Rizkala A, Rouleau J, et al. Importance of Clinical Worsening of Heart Failure Treated in the Outpatient Setting: Evidence From the Prospective Comparison of ARNI With ACEI to Determine Impact on Global Mortality and Morbidity in Heart Failure Trial (PARADIGM-HF). Circulation. 2016;133:2254-62 pubmed publisher..URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT01035255. ..
- Campbell R, Willox G, Jhund P, Hawkins N, Huang F, Petrie M, et al. Reporting of Lost to Follow-Up and Treatment Discontinuation in Pharmacotherapy and Device Trials in Chronic Heart Failure: A Systematic Review. Circ Heart Fail. 2016;9: pubmed publisher..All study participants should be accounted for within a CONSORT diagram in any RCT to enable the practicing cardiologist to interpret how the results should influence his/her clinical practice. ..
- Simpson J, Jhund P, Silva Cardoso J, Martinez F, Mosterd A, Ramires F, et al. Comparing LCZ696 with enalapril according to baseline risk using the MAGGIC and EMPHASIS-HF risk scores: an analysis of mortality and morbidity in PARADIGM-HF. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;66:2059-2071 pubmed publisher..LCZ696's benefit was consistent across the spectrum of risk. (PARADIGM-HF trial [Prospective Comparison of ARNI With ACEI to Determine Impact on Global Mortality and Morbidity in Heart Failure]; NCT01035255). ..
- Kristensen S, Mogensen U, Jhund P, Petrie M, Preiss D, Win S, et al. Clinical and Echocardiographic Characteristics and Cardiovascular Outcomes According to Diabetes Status in Patients With Heart Failure and Preserved Ejection Fraction: A Report From the I-Preserve Trial (Irbesartan in Heart Failure With Preserved Eje. Circulation. 2017;135:724-735 pubmed publisher..URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00095238. ..
- Okumura N, Jhund P, Gong J, Lefkowitz M, Rizkala A, Rouleau J, et al. Effects of Sacubitril/Valsartan in the PARADIGM-HF Trial (Prospective Comparison of ARNI with ACEI to Determine Impact on Global Mortality and Morbidity in Heart Failure) According to Background Therapy. Circ Heart Fail. 2016;9: pubmed publisher..URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT01035255. ..
- Abdul Rahim A, MacIsaac R, Jhund P, Petrie M, Lees K, McMurray J. Efficacy and safety of digoxin in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction according to diabetes status: An analysis of the Digitalis Investigation Group (DIG) trial. Int J Cardiol. 2016;209:310-6 pubmed publisher..5% versus 5.8%), as was hospitalisation for digoxin toxicity (1.4% versus 0.8%). Added to an ACE inhibitor, digoxin reduced HF hospitalisation in HF-REF patients with and without diabetes without a substantial risk of toxicity. ..
- Kristensen S, Preiss D, Jhund P, Squire I, Cardoso J, Merkely B, et al. Risk Related to Pre-Diabetes Mellitus and Diabetes Mellitus in Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction: Insights From Prospective Comparison of ARNI With ACEI to Determine Impact on Global Mortality and Morbidity in Heart Failure Trial. Circ Heart Fail. 2016;9: pubmed publisher..0%). LCZ696 was beneficial compared with enalapril, irrespective of glycemic status. URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT01035255. ..
- McMurray J, Packer M, Desai A, Gong J, Lefkowitz M, Rizkala A, et al. Dual angiotensin receptor and neprilysin inhibition as an alternative to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition in patients with chronic systolic heart failure: rationale for and design of the Prospective comparison of ARNI with ACEI to Determine I. Eur J Heart Fail. 2013;15:1062-73 pubmed publisher..PARADIGM-HF will determine the place of the ARNI LCZ696 as an alternative to enalapril in patients with systolic HF. PARADIGM-HF may change our approach to neurohormonal modulation in HF. NCT01035255. ..
- McMurray J. CONSENSUS to EMPHASIS: the overwhelming evidence which makes blockade of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system the cornerstone of therapy for systolic heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail. 2011;13:929-36 pubmed publisher..In this article I will give a brief, historical overview of this exciting quarter-century of discovery related to the RAAS. My focus is on the treatment of heart failure in patients with a low left ventricular ejection fraction. ..
- Kristensen S, Jhund P, Mogensen U, RÃ¸rth R, Abraham W, Desai A, et al. Prognostic Value of N-Terminal Pro-B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Levels in Heart Failure Patients With and Without Atrial Fibrillation. Circ Heart Fail. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..URL: https://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier NCT00853658 (ATMOSPHERE) and NCT01035255 (PARADIGM-HF). ..
- McMurray J, Gerstein H, Holman R, Pfeffer M. Heart failure: a cardiovascular outcome in diabetes that can no longer be ignored. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2014;2:843-51 pubmed publisher..As such, we believe that heart failure should be systematically evaluated in cardiovascular outcome trials of all new glucose-lowering drugs. ..
- McMurray J, Ponikowski P, Bolli G, Lukashevich V, Kozlovski P, Kothny W, et al. Effects of Vildagliptin on Ventricular Function in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Heart Failure: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial. JACC Heart Fail. 2018;6:8-17 pubmed publisher..Effect of Vildagliptin on Left Ventricular Function in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes and Congestive Heart Failure; NCT00894868). ..
- Shen L, Jhund P, Mogensen U, Køber L, Claggett B, Rogers J, et al. Re-Examination of the BEST Trial Using Composite Outcomes, Including Emergency Department Visits. JACC Heart Fail. 2017;5:591-599 pubmed publisher..The value of broader composite endpoints and inclusion of recurrent events needs further investigation. (Beta Blocker Evaluation in Survival Trial [BEST]; NCT00000560). ..
- Mogensen U, Køber L, Kristensen S, Jhund P, Gong J, Lefkowitz M, et al. The effects of sacubitril/valsartan on coronary outcomes in PARADIGM-HF. Am Heart J. 2017;188:35-41 pubmed publisher..Additional studies on the effect of sacubitril/valsartan on atherothrombotic outcomes in high-risk patients are merited. ..
- Bethel M, Hyland K, Chacra A, Deedwania P, Fulcher G, Holman R, et al. Updated risk factors should be used to predict development of diabetes. J Diabetes Complications. 2017;31:859-863 pubmed publisher..Diabetes risk calculations should be routinely updated to inform discussions about diabetes prevention at both the patient and population health levels. ..
- Shen L, Ramires F, Martinez F, Bodanese L, Echeverría L, Gómez E, et al. Contemporary Characteristics and Outcomes in Chagasic Heart Failure Compared With Other Nonischemic and Ischemic Cardiomyopathy. Circ Heart Fail. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..We aimed to compare clinical characteristics and outcomes in patients with heart failure (HF) with reduced ejection fraction caused by Chagas' disease, with other etiologies, in the era of modern HF therapies...
- McMurray J, Dunselman P, Wedel H, Cleland J, Lindberg M, Hjalmarson A, et al. Coenzyme Q10, rosuvastatin, and clinical outcomes in heart failure: a pre-specified substudy of CORONA (controlled rosuvastatin multinational study in heart failure). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;56:1196-204 pubmed publisher..Controlled Rosuvastatin Multinational Study in Heart Failure [CORONA]; NCT00206310). ..
- McMurray J, Adamopoulos S, Anker S, Auricchio A, Bohm M, Dickstein K, et al. ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012: The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2012 of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed in collaboration with the . Eur J Heart Fail. 2012;14:803-69 pubmed publisher
- McMurray J, Adamopoulos S, Anker S, Auricchio A, Bohm M, Dickstein K, et al. ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012: The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2012 of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed in collaboration with the . Eur Heart J. 2012;33:1787-847 pubmed publisher