- Development of a framework for person-centred nursingBrendan McCormack
Professor of Nursing Research Director of Nursing Research and Practice Development, University of Ulster and Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
J Adv Nurs 56:472-9. 2006..This paper presents the development and content of a person-centred nursing framework...
- A conceptual framework for person-centred practice with older peopleBrendan McCormack
University of Ulster, Jordanstown and Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Int J Nurs Pract 9:202-9. 2003..The factors that enable person-centredness to operate in practice are identified as the patient's values, the nurse's values and the context of the care environment. Considerations for implementing the model in practice are highlighted...
- The development and pilot testing of an instrument to measure nurses' working environment: the Nursing Context IndexPaul Slater
Royal Hospitals Trusts Institute of Nursing Research, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Northern Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 6:173-82. 2009..However, few studies have attempted to quantify the outcomes from the adoption of person-centered nursing. The lack of outcome measurement is in part influenced by the lack of a standardized instrument to measure person-centered nursing...
- Developing person-centred practice: nursing outcomes arising from changes to the care environment in residential settings for older peopleBrendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Antrim, Northern Ireland
Int J Older People Nurs 5:93-107. 2010..To present the nursing outcomes from the evaluation of developments in the care environment in residential settings for older people...
- Blending critical realist and emancipatory practice development methodologies: making critical realism work in nursing researchRandal Parlour
Nursing Midwifery Planning and Development Unit, Health Service Executive, Ballyshannon, Ireland University of Ulster, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Nurs Inq 19:308-21. 2012..This augments the existing theoretical bases for both these approaches by contributing new theoretical and methodological understandings of causation...
- Development of a model of situational leadership in residential care for older peopleBrighide M Lynch
HSE Dublin North East, Primary, Community and Continuing Care Services, Dundalk, County Louth, UK
J Nurs Manag 19:1058-69. 2011..The aim of the present study was to present the process used to develop a composite model of situational leadership enacted within a person-centred nursing framework in residential care...
- An exploration of the factor structure of the nursing work indexPaul Slater
School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Jordanstown and Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 4:30-9. 2007..Within the NWI-R a four-factor model has been reported as being important in determining good organisational context, yet researchers have recently questioned the stability of the four-factor structure...
- Testing of the factor structure of the nursing work index-revisedPaul Slater
Institute of Nursing Research, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Co Antrim, Northern Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 7:123-34. 2010....
- Using the caring dimensions inventory as an indicator of person-centred nursingTanya McCance
Belfast Trust, Nursing R and D, University of Ulster, Belfast, UK
J Clin Nurs 18:409-17. 2009..This paper reports findings from a large-scale quasi-experimental study that used a measure of caring as a means of evaluating person-centred nursing and aims to illustrate the synergy between the concepts of caring and person-centredness...
- Evaluating the context within which continence care is provided in rehabilitation units for older peopleJayne Wright
Research Associate, Nursing Development Centre, Royal Hospital, University of Ulster, Belfast, UKDirector of Nursing Research University of Ulster and Royal Hospital Trust, Victoria Australia Nursing Development Centre, Royal Hospital, Adjunct Prof Monash University, Belfast, UKResearch Associate, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of College Cork, Cork, Republic of IrelandHead of School, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of College Cork, Cork, Republic of Ireland
Int J Older People Nurs 2:9-19. 2007..This process has thus, added to our understanding of the importance of context to the provision of person-centred care...
- Development and testing of the Context Assessment Index (CAI)Brendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, County Antrim, Northern Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 6:27-35. 2009..To test the psychometric properties of the Context Assessment Index (CAI)...
- Determining older people's needs for care by Registered Nurses: the Nursing Needs Assessment ToolPaul Slater
School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Belfast, UK
J Adv Nurs 52:601-8. 2005....
- Opening doors of perception. Creativity, learning and developing practiceBrendan McCormack
Nursing Research and Practice Development, University of Ulster Hospital Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Br J Perioper Nurs 14:439-41, 443-6. 2004..The article aims to challenge issues about nurse education and explore ways in which the nursing profession can move debates about the values underpinning the preparation of undergraduate nurses...
- Appreciating the 'person' in long-term careBrendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research, School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
Int J Older People Nurs 7:284-94. 2012....
- "The way we do things around here": an international comparison of treatment culture in nursing homesCarmel M Hughes
School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland
J Am Med Dir Assoc 13:360-7. 2012..Responses between nurse managers and registered nurses were also compared...
- Older persons' experiences of whole systems: the impact of health and social care organizational structuresBrendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, UK
J Nurs Manag 16:105-14. 2008..An in-depth case study of whole systems working...
- Determining factors that have an impact upon effective evidence-based pain management with older people, following colorectal surgery: an ethnographic studyDonna Brown
Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
J Clin Nurs 15:1287-98. 2006..The aim of this project was to examine pain management practices with older people admitted to the colorectal unit of an acute hospital trust...
- Re-defining nursing expertise in the United kingdomSally Hardy
Nursing and Midwifery Research Unit, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of East Anglia, Norwich, London
Nurs Sci Q 19:260-4. 2006..The Expertise in Practice Project demonstrates that nurses affect change and facilitate performance and organizational development...
- Critical realism as emancipatory action: the case for realistic evaluation in practice developmentValerie Wilson
Nursing Research and Practice Development Unit, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, NSW, Australia
Nurs Philos 7:45-57. 2006....
- Person-centredness in gerontological nursing: an overview of the literatureBrendan McCormack
University of Ulster and Director of Nursing Research and Practice Development, Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
J Clin Nurs 13:31-8. 2004..There is a need for further research and development work in gerontological nursing to distinguish between person-centred practice and good quality care for older people...
- Developing practice: individual and organisational responsibilitiesBrendan McCormack
Aust J Adv Nurs 20:6-7. 2002
- Practice development: purpose, methodology, facilitation and evaluationKim Manley
Royal College of Nursing Institute, Royal College of Nursing, 20 Cavendish Square, London W1M 0RN
Nurs Crit Care 8:22-9. 2003..Emancipatory practice development underpinned by critical social science is argued as synonymous to emancipatory action research...
- The characteristics, qualities and skills of practice developersBrendan McCormack
University of Ulster, Jordanstown, UK
J Clin Nurs 12:317-25. 2003..Four role functions are presented in the paper, as well as qualities and skills needed to operationalize the identified role functions. A clear picture of the skills and qualities required by practice developers emerges from the data...
- The meaning of practice development: evidence from the fieldBrendan McCormack
University of Ulster
Collegian 10:13-6. 2003..Finally, the consequences of practice development activity will be outlined and the need for further research in this area highlighted...
- What counts as evidence in evidence-based practice?Jo Rycroft-Malone
Royal College of Nursing Institute, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, Oxfordshire, UK
J Adv Nurs 47:81-90. 2004....
- Editorial: the involvement of service users in care, services and policy - comments and implications for nursing developmentJan Reed
J Clin Nurs 14:41-2. 2005
- Hearing voices? Don't be afraidBrendan McCormack
Nurs Older People 17:3. 2005
- An evaluation of the role of the clinical education facilitatorBrendan McCormack
School of Nursing, University of Ulster Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
J Clin Nurs 15:135-44. 2006..The objective of the study was to identify whether clinical education facilitators made a difference to the learning experiences of nurses in a large teaching hospital...
- Integrated care for older people: methodological issues in conducting a systematic literature reviewJan Reed
Centre for Care of Older People, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 4:78-85. 2007..The review was conducted as one strand of a research project aiming to inform the development of locality-based integrated care for older people in Northern Ireland, a development driven by observations of user needs...
- Developing a qualitative approach to 360-degree feedback to aid understanding and development of clinical expertiseRobert Garbett
Nursing Development Centre, University of Ulster and Royal Hospitals Trust, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, UK
J Nurs Manag 15:342-7. 2007..Part of the process consisted of the exploration, critique and refinement of qualitative 360-degree feedback as a tool for peer review...
- Getting evidence into practice: the role and function of facilitationGill Harvey
Quality Improvement Programme, RCN Institute, Oxford, UK
J Adv Nurs 37:577-88. 2002..This paper presents the findings of a concept analysis of facilitation in relation to successful implementation of evidence into practice...