Affiliation: Manchester Royal Infirmary
- Influence of diabetes on the maintenance of sinus rhythm after a successful direct current cardioversion in patients with atrial fibrillationH Soran
Department of Endocrinology, Central Manchester University Hospitals, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9WL, UK
QJM 101:181-7. 2008..To determine independent risk factors for recurrence of atrial fibrillation (AF) after a successful direct current (DC) cardioversion in patients with and without diabetes...
- The role of the renin angiotensin system blocking in the management of atrial fibrillationHandrean Soran
Central Manchester University Hospitals, Manchester, UK
Acta Cardiol 63:457-65. 2008..The objective of the study was to review the current available clinical evidence for the role of renin-angiotensin system (RAS) blockade in the treatment of atrial fibrillation (AF)...
- Is there a role for low carbohydrate diets in the management of type 2 diabetes?J Worth
Manchester Diabetes Centre, 193 Hathersage Road, Manchester M13 OJE, UK
QJM 100:659-63. 2007
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol raising: does it matter?Jonathan D Schofield
Cardiovascular Trials Unit, Central Manchester University Hospitals, Manchester, UK
Curr Opin Cardiol 28:464-74. 2013....
- Effects of bariatric surgery on human small artery function: evidence for reduction in perivascular adipocyte inflammation, and the restoration of normal anticontractile activity despite persistent obesityReza Aghamohammadzadeh
Cardiovascular Research Group, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 62:128-35. 2013..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of bariatric surgery on small artery function and the mechanisms underlying this...
- Small dense LDL is more susceptible to glycation than more buoyant LDL in Type 2 diabetesNahla N Younis
Cardiovascular Research Group, School of Biomedicine, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Clin Sci (Lond) 124:343-9. 2013..In conclusion, greater susceptibility of SD-LDL to glycation is likely to contribute to the raised levels of circulating glyc-apoB in diabetes. Statins are associated with lower levels of both SD-LDL and glyc-apoB...
- HDL functionalityHandrean Soran
University Department of Medicine, Central Manchester and Manchester Children University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, School of Biomedicine, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Curr Opin Lipidol 23:353-66. 2012..The purpose of this review is to summarize HDL functionality, its relevance to atherosclerosis and factors affecting HDL functions...
- Lipoprotein (a): gene geniePaul N Durrington
aCardiovascular Research Group, School of Biomedicine, University of Manchester bCardiovascular Trials Unit, University Department of Medicine, Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
Curr Opin Lipidol 25:289-96. 2014..We review barriers to progress, and discuss areas of controversy which are important to future research...
- The importance of considering LDL cholesterol response as well as cardiovascular risk in deciding who can benefit from statin therapyHandrean Soran
aCardiovascular Research Group, School of Biomedicine, University of Manchester, bCardiovascular Trials Unit, University Department of Medicine, Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
Curr Opin Lipidol 25:239-46. 2014..We question whether this is an effective strategy unless the LDL-cholesterol (LDL-C) response is also considered...
- Body fat distribution in relation to smoking and exogenous hormones in British womenSee Kwok
School of Biomedicine, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 77:828-33. 2012..We examined the interrelation between smoking, exogenous hormones and fat distribution in premenopausal and postmenopausal women...
- Dapagliflozin: a review on efficacy, clinical effectiveness and safetyAngela N Paisley
Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Stott Lane, Salford, Manchester, M6 8HD, UK
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 22:131-40. 2013..By blocking glucose reabsorption in the kidney they lead to an increase in urinary glucose excretion with reduction in plasma glucose levels...
- Extended-release niacin with laropiprant : a review on efficacy, clinical effectiveness and safetyRahul Yadav
University of Manchester, School of Biomedicine, Cardiovascular Research Group, Core Technology Facility, 46, Grafton Street, Manchester, UK
Expert Opin Pharmacother 13:1345-62. 2012..Interest in niacin has re-emerged because of its HDL-C raising effects. The flushing associated with niacin which has previously affected patient compliance can now be significantly blocked with laropiprant (LRPT)...
- Vildagliptin in clinical practice: a review of literatureMoulinath Banerjee
Central Manchester University Hospitals Foundation Trust, Department of Medicine, Manchester, M13 9WL, UK
Expert Opin Pharmacother 10:2745-57. 2009..This review undertakes to examine the clinical studies published to date, with the aim of evaluating the position of vildagliptin among the drugs that are now available to treat this common dysmetabolic state...
- Aspirin therapy and primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in diabetes mellitusNaveed Younis
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, University Hospital South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust, Southmoor Road, Wythenshawe, Manchester, UK
Diabetes Obes Metab 11:997-1000. 2009..This article reviews the results of two recently published large randomized clinical trials that have looked at primary prevention of cardiovascular events using aspirin in patients with DM...
- Insulin glargine: a new basal insulin analogueN Younis
Department of Endocrinology, Arrowe Park Hospital, Wirral, UK
QJM 95:757-61. 2002
- A case of haemangiopericytoma-associated hypoglycaemia: Beneficial effect of treatment with radiotherapyH Soran
Department of Medicine, Wirral Hospital NHS Trust, Wirral, Cheshire, UK
Int J Clin Pract 60:1319-22. 2006..Clinically and biochemically, radiotherapy was more effective than GH therapy...
- The benefits of insulin therapy following acute myocardial infarction revisitedH Soran
Specialist Registrar in Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, South Manchester University Hospital, Manchester
QJM 99:635-7. 2006
- The prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus: recent advancesN Younis
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, UK
QJM 97:451-5. 2004..Other pharmacological interventions are currently being examined in large prospective studies. It is likely that one or a combination of these approaches could make diabetes prevention a reality in the near future...
- Inflammatory pseudotumour of the liver associated with diabetes mellitusN Younis
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, UK
Int J Clin Pract 55:717-9. 2001..The clinical outcome was good and both patients had an uneventful recovery. We believe these to be the first two cases of inflammatory liver pseudotumours to be described in patients with diabetes mellitus...