- Vitamin A and preterm infants: what we know, what we don't know, and what we need to knowH Mactier
Princess Royal Maternity and Division of Developmental Medicine, University of Glasgow, 8 16 Alexandra Parade, Glasgow G31 2ER, Scotland, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 90:F103-8. 2005..There is an urgent need for studies in preterm infants that include quantification of hepatic stores and functional assessment of vitamin A status as well as long term outcome...
- Ocular biometry in preterm infants: implications for estimation of retinal illuminanceHelen Mactier
Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Yorkhill, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:453-7. 2008....
- Visual evoked potentials in infants exposed to methadone in uteroL McGlone
Princess Royal Maternity Hospital, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Arch Dis Child 93:784-6. 2008..Future research should address the specific effects of maternal methadone and/or other illicit drug misuse on infant VEPs, and associations between neonatal VEPs and subsequent visual development...
- Maturation of rod function in preterm infants with and without retinopathy of prematurityRuth Hamilton
Department of Clinical Physics, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, and Princess Royal Maternity, Glasgow, United Kingdom
J Pediatr 153:605-11. 2008..To establish normal development of rod electroretinograms in preterm infants and to assess the effects of retinopathy of prematurity (ROP)...
- Vitamin A supplementation improves retinal function in infants at risk of retinopathy of prematurityHelen Mactier
Princess Royal Maternity, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
J Pediatr 160:954-9.e1. 2012..Preterm infants show reduced retinal sensitivity at term corrected age compared with newborn term infants. We tested the hypothesis that retinal sensitivity in preterm infants is improved by early, high-dose vitamin A...
- Neonatal visual evoked potentials in infants born to mothers prescribed methadoneLaura McGlone
Princess Royal Maternity, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 131:e857-63. 2013..This large cohort study aimed to clarify the effects on neonatal flash VEPs of maternal drug misuse in pregnancy, including prescription of substitute methadone and subsequent development of neonatal abstinence syndrome...
- Ophthalmic, clinical and visual electrophysiological findings in children born to mothers prescribed substitute methadone in pregnancyR Hamilton
Department of Clinical Physics, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Glasgow, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 94:696-700. 2010..We describe the combined ophthalmology and visual electrophysiology findings in 20 infants and children who had been exposed to substitute methadone and other drugs of misuse in utero...
- Postnatal weight loss in substitute methadone-exposed infants: implications for the management of breast feedingCarol Dryden
Neonatal Unit, Princess Royal Maternity, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 97:F214-6. 2012..These data suggest that excessive neonatal weight loss among breastfed infants of drug-misusing mothers does not necessarily reflect poorly established lactation and may help to guide management of breast feeding in this population...
- Drug misuse in pregnancy: losing sight of the baby?L McGlone
Neonatal Unit, Princess Royal Maternity, 8 16 Alexandra Parade, Glasgow G31 2ER, UK
Arch Dis Child 94:708-12. 2009....
- Dark-adapted oscillatory potentials in preterm infants with and without retinopathy of prematurityHelen Mactier
Neonatal Unit, Princess Royal Maternity, 8 16, Alexandra Parade, Glasgow, G31 2ER, Scotland, UK
Doc Ophthalmol 127:33-40. 2013..To describe the appearance and maturation of dark-adapted oscillatory potentials (OPs) in electroretinograms (ERGs) recorded from preterm infants, and to determine any effect of retinopathy of prematurity (ROP)...
- Prevalence and characteristics of rib fractures in ex-preterm infantsAngela Lucas-Herald
Section of Child Health, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Yorkhill, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 130:1116-9. 2012..This study aimed to identify the prevalence and characteristics of rib fractures in ex-preterm infants...
- The management of heroin misuse in pregnancy: time for a rethink?Helen Mactier
Neonatal Unit, Princess Royal Maternity, 8 16 Alexandra Parade, Glasgow G31 2ER, Scotland
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 96:F457-60. 2011..Well-controlled studies of the treatment of heroin misuse in pregnancy that take account of both neonatal and longer term outcomes for the child are urgently required...
- Development of the electroretinogram between 30 and 50 weeks after conceptionRuth Hamilton
Department of Clinical Physics, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Dalnair Street, Glasgow G3 8SJ, UK
Early Hum Dev 81:461-4. 2005..Serial ERGs recorded from a preterm infant between 30 and 50 weeks after conception showed rapid maturation. A transient loss of retinal sensitivity coincided with clinical signs of stage 2 retinopathy of prematurity (ROP)...
- Maternal methadone use in pregnancy: factors associated with the development of neonatal abstinence syndrome and implications for healthcare resourcesC Dryden
Neonatal Unit, Princess Royal Maternity, Glasgow, UK
BJOG 116:665-71. 2009..The objectives of this study were to investigate factors associated with the development of neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) and to assess the implications for healthcare resources of infants born to drug-misusing women...
- Visual electrophysiological findings in CHARGE syndrome with bilateral colobomas: a case reportR Hamilton
Department of Clinical Physics, University of Glasgow and Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Glasgow, UK
Doc Ophthalmol 121:63-7. 2010..Electrophysiology can provide valuable information on visual function when behavioural testing is limited by the child's ability to co-operate, such as during the early weeks of life...
- Contact lens electroretinography in preterm infants from 32 weeks after conception: a development in current methodologyH Mactier
Department of Child Health, Royal Hospital for Sick Children and Queen Mother s Hospital, Yorkhill NHS Trust and University of Glasgow, Glasgow G3 8SJ, Scotland, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 82:F233-6. 2000..To assess the feasibility of using a contact lens electrode to record the electroretinogram (ERG) in preterm infants less than 35 weeks after conception...
- Outcome in infants exposed to methadone in uteroLaura McGlone
BMJ 337:a1774. 2008
- Inadequacy of IV vitamin A supplementation of extremely preterm infants?Helen Mactier
J Pediatr 146:846-7; author reply 847-8. 2005