Jamie Hugo Macdonald
- Kidney transplantation: a systematic review of interventional and observational studies of physical activity on intermediate outcomesJamie Hugo Macdonald
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences, Bangor University, Bangor, United Kingdom
Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 16:482-500. 2009..In kidney transplant patients, physical activity intervention is warranted to enhance physical functioning. Whether exercise impacts on outcomes associated with longevity of life requires further study...
- Exertional fatigue in patients with CKDJamie H Macdonald
College of Health and Behavioural Sciences, Bangor University, Bangor, United Kingdom
Am J Kidney Dis 60:930-9. 2012..However, fatigue mechanisms are poorly understood due in part to nonspecific definitions. This study investigates exertional fatigue during simulated activities of daily living, focusing on oxygen delivery and utilization...
- Physiological demands of mountain rescue workNigel Callender
Newcastle Medical School, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Emerg Med J 29:753-7. 2012..To characterise the physical fitness of mountain rescue (MR) volunteers and the physical demands of a typical MR callout...
- Athletic profile of highly accomplished boulderersJamie H Macdonald
Extremes Research Group, School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences, Bangor University, Bangor, UK
Wilderness Environ Med 22:140-3. 2011..Bouldering is a discipline of rock climbing completed at low height. Despite its popularity, scientific description of this sport remains sparse. This study aims to characterize the athletic profile of highly accomplished boulderers...
- Matched-cohort study of body composition, physical function, and quality of life in men with idiopathic vertebral fractureJamie H Macdonald
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences, Bangor University, Bangor, Gwynedd, UK
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 64:92-100. 2012..To determine the effect of 6 years of routine management on body composition, physical functioning, and quality of life, and their interrelationships, in men with idiopathic vertebral fracture...
- Response of electromyographic variables during incremental and fatiguing cyclingJamie Hugo Macdonald
Renal Unit, Ysbyty Gwynedd, Penrhosgarnedd, Bangor, UK
Med Sci Sports Exerc 40:335-44. 2008..Recent methodological advances permit the estimation of muscle fiber-conduction velocity (MFCV) from EMG signals recorded during dynamic exercise. However, EMG responses to incremental and fatiguing cycling are poorly understood...
- Nandrolone decanoate as anabolic therapy in chronic kidney disease: a randomized phase II dose-finding studyJamie H Macdonald
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences, University of Wales Bangor, Bangor, UK
Nephron Clin Pract 106:c125-35. 2007..In patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) receiving adequate erythropoietin therapy, the ideal dose of nandrolone decanoate (ND) to enhance muscle mass is not known...
- Muscle mass deficits are associated with bone mineral density in men with idiopathic vertebral fractureJ H MacDonald
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences, University of Wales, George Building, Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 2PZ, UK
Osteoporos Int 18:1371-8. 2007..The causes of idiopathic vertebral fractures (IVF) in men are poorly understood. We hypothesised that in IVF, areal bone mineral density (aBMD) deficits would be associated with reduced muscle mass...
- GFR estimation using cystatin C is not independent of body compositionJamie MacDonald
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences, University of Wales Bangor, Gwynedd, LL57 2PZ, UK
Am J Kidney Dis 48:712-9. 2006..Cystatin C (CysC) is an endogenous marker of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) that is claimed to be unaffected by body composition. In this study, we tested this speculation...
- Bioelectrical impedance can be used to predict muscle mass and hence improve estimation of glomerular filtration rate in non-diabetic patients with chronic kidney diseaseJamie H Macdonald
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences, University of Wales Bangor, George Building, Bangor, Gwynedd, LL57 2PZ
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:3481-7. 2006....
- The relationship between estimated glomerular filtration rate, demographic and anthropometric variables is mediated by muscle mass in non-diabetic patients with chronic kidney diseaseJamie Hugo Macdonald
Health and Exercise Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor, George Building, Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 2PZ, UK
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:3488-94. 2006..e. age, gender, height and weight) employed in current creatinin (Cr)-based glomerular filtration rate (GFR) estimation equations and actual GFR is mediated by muscle mass...
- Body composition at high altitude: a randomized placebo-controlled trial of dietary carbohydrate supplementationJamie H Macdonald
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences, Bangor University, George Building, Bangor, Gwynedd, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 90:1193-202. 2009..Body mass loss is inevitable with chronic hypoxic exposure. However, the exact body-composition changes, their causes, and possible treatments remain unknown...
- Muscle insulin-like growth factor status, body composition, and functional capacity in hemodialysis patientsJamie H Macdonald
School of Sport, Health, and Exercise Sciences, University of Wales Bangor, Bangor, Gwynedd, Wales
J Ren Nutr 14:248-52. 2004....
- Intradialytic exercise as anabolic therapy in haemodialysis patients -- a pilot studyJamie H Macdonald
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences, University of Wales Bangor, UK
Clin Physiol Funct Imaging 25:113-8. 2005....
- Muscle-damaging exercise increases heat strain during subsequent exercise heat stressMatthew Benjamin Fortes
1College of Health and Behavioural Sciences, Bangor University, Gwynedd, UNITED KINGDOM and 2Department of Biomedical Sciences and Technologies, University of L Aquila, Coppito, Italy
Med Sci Sports Exerc 45:1915-24. 2013..g., interleukin-6 [IL-6]) and 24 h after EIMD to coincide with the delayed muscle inflammatory response when a higher rate of metabolic energy expenditure (M˙) and thus decreased economy might also increase heat strain...
- Optic nerve sheath diameter is not related to high altitude headache: a randomized controlled trialJustin Stevan Lawley
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences, Bangor University, Gwynedd, United Kingdom
High Alt Med Biol 13:193-9. 2012..39, p<0.01) but not with ONSD (β=0.59, p=0.57). These data do not support that intracranial pressure is associated with the development or amelioration of mild HAH. Clinical trial registration NCT01288781...
- Beetroot juice does not enhance altitude running performance in well-trained athletesJosh Timothy Arnold
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences, Bangor University, George Building, Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 2PZ, Centre for Health, Exercise and Sport Science, Southampton Solent University, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 40:590-5. 2015..NO3(-) also did not alter oxygen cost, arterial oxygen saturation, heart rate, or RPE. Acute dietary NO3(-) supplementation did not consistently enhance running performance of well-trained athletes in normobaric hypoxia. ..