Affiliation: London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- Trends in the prevalence of smoking in Russia during the transition to a market economyFrancesca Perlman
ECOHOST, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Tob Control 16:299-305. 2007..Changes in smoking, particularly an increase in women, were predicted to follow the aggressive campaigns of multinational tobacco companies in transitional Russia. However, such changes have not yet been demonstrated unequivocally...
- Socioeconomic and behavioral determinants of mortality in posttransition Russia: a prospective population studyFrancesca Perlman
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Ann Epidemiol 18:92-100. 2008..Previous research has demonstrated a widening educational mortality gradient, widespread deprivation, and harmful health behaviors...
- Determinants of self rated health and mortality in Russia - are they the same?Francesca Perlman
ECOHOST, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Int J Equity Health 7:19. 2008..abstract:..
- Trends in family planning in Russia, 1994-2003Francesca Perlman
European Centre on Health of Societies in Transition, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 41:40-50. 2009..Although Russian women have adequate knowledge of modern contraceptives, their level of use of these methods has been low, and abortion rates remain relatively high...
- An analysis of trends and determinants of health insurance and healthcare utilisation in the Russian population between 2000 and 2004: the 'inverse care law' in actionFrancesca Perlman
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E7HT, UK
BMC Health Serv Res 9:68. 2009..This paper describes subsequent trends and determinants of healthcare insurance coverage in Russia, and its relationship with health service utilisation, as well as the role of the private sector...
- Assessing the contribution of unstable employment to mortality in posttransition Russia: prospective individual-level analyses from the Russian longitudinal monitoring surveyFrancesca Perlman
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, UK
Am J Public Health 99:1818-25. 2009..We used the Russia Longitudinal Monitoring Survey (RLMS) to investigate associations between employment, socioeconomic position, and mortality...
- Diabetes during the Russian transitionFrancesca Perlman
ECOHOST, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, United Kingdom
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 80:305-13. 2008..To study trends in diabetes awareness and care in post-transition Russia, at a time of increased all-cause and diabetic mortality and disrupted health care...
- Do health control beliefs predict behaviour in Russians?Francesca Perlman
International Centre for Health and Society, University College, London, UK
Prev Med 37:73-81. 2003..Unhealthy lifestyles contribute substantially to Russia's high mortality. Health control beliefs influence lifestyles to some extent in the West but this relationship is not well studied in Russia...
- Prescription for change: accessing medication in transitional RussiaFrancesca Perlman
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Health Policy Plan 26:453-63. 2011..Ongoing research into access is needed, due to recent national changes in prescription drug subsidies, and into doctor- and patient-related influences on access and prescribing for individual conditions...