David F Horrobin
Affiliation: Laxdale Ltd
- A new category of psychotropic drugs: neuroactive lipids as exemplified by ethyl eicosapentaenoate (E-E)David F Horrobin
Laxdale Ltd, Kings Park House, Laurelhill Business Park, Stirling, FK7 9JQ Scotland
Prog Drug Res 59:171-99. 2002..It is extremely well tolerated with none of the usual side-effects of either antidepressants or neuroleptics. It probably works by modulating postreceptor signal transduction processes...
- omega-3 Fatty acid for schizophreniaDavid F Horrobin
Am J Psychiatry 160:188-9; author reply 189. 2003
- Are large clinical trials in rapidly lethal diseases usually unethical?David F Horrobin
Laxdale Ltd, Stirling, UK
Lancet 361:695-7. 2003
- A low toxicity maintenance regime, using eicosapentaenoic acid and readily available drugs, for mantle cell lymphoma and other malignancies with excess cyclin D1 levelsDavid F Horrobin
Laxdale Ltd, Stirling, Scotland, UK
Med Hypotheses 60:615-23. 2003..The mechanisms of action of these various agents are discussed, and specific suggestions are made for low toxicity maintenance therapy of mantle cell lymphoma and of other tumours which overexpress cyclin D1...
- Effective clinical innovation: an ethical imperativeDavid F Horrobin
Laxdale, Park House, Laurelhill Business Park, Polmaise Road, Stirling FK7 9QL, UK
Lancet 359:1857-8. 2002
- Eicosapentaenoic acid and arachidonic acid: collaboration and not antagonism is the key to biological understandingD F Horrobin
Laxdale Ltd, King Park House, LaurelhiIl Business Park, Stirling FK7 9JQ, Scotland
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 66:83-90. 2002..We suggest that elevation of concentrations of both AA and EPA in cell membranes may be important for health...
- The effects on plasma, red cell and platelet fatty acids of taking 12 g/day of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate for 16 months: dihomogammalinolenic, arachidonic and docosahexaenoic acids and relevance to Inuit metabolismDavid Horrobin
Laxdale Ltd, Kings Park House, Laurelhill Business Park, Stirling, FK7 9JQ, Scotland, UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 68:301-4. 2003..The implications for understanding of fatty acid metabolism in humans are discussed...
- Ethyl-eicosapentaenoate and dexamethasone resistance in therapy-refractory depressionHarald Murck
Laxdale Ltd, Stirling, Scotland, UK, FK7 9JQ
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 7:341-9. 2004..EPA may, furthermore, enhance the action of antidepressants, like many SSRIs that are p-gp substrates, which are actively transported out of the intracerebral space at the level of the blood-brain barrier...
- Evidence-based medicine and the need for non-commercial clinical research directed towards therapeutic innovationDavid F Horrobin
Laxdale Limited, Kings Park House, Laurelhill Business Park, Polmaise Road, Stirling, FK79JQ Scotland, UK
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 227:435-7. 2002
- Modern biomedical research: an internally self-consistent universe with little contact with medical reality?David F Horrobin
Laxdale Ltd, Kings Park House, Laurelhill Business Park, Stirling FK7 9JQ, Scotland
Nat Rev Drug Discov 2:151-4. 2003
- Dietary ethyl-eicosapentaenoic acid but not soybean oil reverses central interleukin-1-induced changes in behavior, corticosterone and immune response in ratsCai Song
Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Stress 7:43-54. 2004..Food enriched with ethyl-EPA but not soybean oil, significantly attenuated most of these changes. These results demonstrate that ethyl-EPA has anti-inflammatory, anti-stress and anti-anxiety effects in rats...
- Ethyl-EPA in Alzheimer's disease--a pilot studyPaul F Boston
Michael Carlisle Centre, Nether Edge Hospital, 75 Osborne Road, Sheffield, S Yorks S11 9BF, UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 71:341-6. 2004..A longer treatment period may be necessary to demonstrate efficacy of ethyl-EPA in this disorder...
- A dose-ranging exploratory study of the effects of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate in patients with persistent schizophrenic symptomsMalcolm Peet
Swallownest Court, Aughton Road, S26 4TH, Sheffield, UK
J Psychiatr Res 36:7-18. 2002..This effect was greatest at 2 g/day. There was a positive relationship between improvement on rating scales and rise in red blood cell arachidonic acid concentration...
- Effects of dietary n-3 or n-6 fatty acids on interleukin-1beta-induced anxiety, stress, and inflammatory responses in ratsCai Song
Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Canada
J Lipid Res 44:1984-91. 2003..Ethyl-GLA only antagonised IL-1-induced inflammatory changes, whereas AA caused an increase in the secretion of corticosterone and PGE2, and induced anxiety-like behavior without enhancing the effects of IL-1...
- Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids modulate interleukin-1beta-induced changes in behavior, monoaminergic neurotransmitters, and brain inflammation in ratsCai Song
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada C1A 4P3
J Nutr 138:954-63. 2008..01). AA did not counteract any of the changes induced by IL-1. These results suggest that EPA, GLA, and AA play different roles in the neuroendocrine-immune network...
- A dose-ranging study of the effects of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate in patients with ongoing depression despite apparently adequate treatment with standard drugsMalcolm Peet
Swallownest Court Hospital, Sheffield, England
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:913-9. 2002..In depressed patients, low blood levels of eicosapentaenoic acid are seen. We tested the antidepressive effect of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate in these patients...
- Eicosapentaenoic acid in treatment-resistant depressionBasant K Puri
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:91-2. 2002
- Neuroprotective actions of eicosapentaenoic acid on lipopolysaccharide-induced dysfunction in rat hippocampusPeter E Lonergan
Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Physiology, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
J Neurochem 91:20-9. 2004..We propose that the neuroprotective effect of EPA may be dependent on its ability to inhibit the downstream consequences of JNK activation...
- A pilot open case series of ethyl-EPA supplementation in the treatment of anorexia nervosaAgnes K Ayton
Hull and East Riding Hospitals Trust, UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 71:205-9. 2004..Three of them recovered and four improved. Randomised controlled trials are warranted to examine the effectiveness of E-EPA in AN further...
- Rapid improvement of severe anorexia nervosa during treatment with ethyl-eicosapentaenoate and micronutrientsAgnes K Ayton
Huntercombe Stafford Hospital, Ivetsey Bank, Wheaton Aston, Stafford, ST17 0XA, UK
Eur Psychiatry 19:317-9. 2004
- Neuroprotective effect of eicosapentaenoic acid in hippocampus of rats exposed to gamma-irradiationPeter E Lonergan
Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Physiology, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
J Biol Chem 277:20804-11. 2002..Significantly, when the compromise in cell viability induced by irradiation was prevented by eicosapentaenoic acid, long term potentiation was sustained in a manner similar to that in the sham-treated control group...
- Dr. David F. HorrobinMehar Manku
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 69:1-26. 2003
- MRI and neuropsychological improvement in Huntington disease following ethyl-EPA treatmentBasant K Puri
Magnetic Resonance Unit, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Hammersmith Hospital, London UK
Neuroreport 13:123-6. 2002..We conclude that treatment with ethyl-EPA is associated with beneficial motor and MRI changes...
- Ideas in biomedical science: reasons for the foundation of Medical HypothesesDavid F Horrobin
Med Hypotheses 62:3-4. 2004
- Cytosolic phospholipase A2 type IVA is present in human red cellsDonald J Macdonald
Biochemistry Department, Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow, G42 9TY, United Kingdom
Blood 103:3562-4. 2004..We show that IVAPLA(2) is present in red cells as a 90-kDa protein...
- Apoptotic changes in the aged brain are triggered by interleukin-1beta-induced activation of p38 and reversed by treatment with eicosapentaenoic acidDarren S D Martin
Department of Physiology, Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
J Biol Chem 277:34239-46. 2002....
- Peer review of statistics in medical research. Rationale for requiring power calculations is neededDavid F Horrobin
BMJ 325:491; author reply 491. 2002
- Food, micronutrients, and psychiatryDavid F Horrobin
Int Psychogeriatr 14:331-4. 2002
- Essential polyunsaturated fatty acid and lipid peroxide levels in never-medicated and medicated schizophrenia patientsMeena Arvindakshan
Division of Biochemical Sciences, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India
Biol Psychiatry 53:56-64. 2003..To minimize these confounds, their levels were compared among never-medicated patients in early illness, medicated patients and control subjects with similar lifestyle and common ethnic background...