Anthony J Strong
Affiliation: King's College London
- Spreading and synchronous depressions of cortical activity in acutely injured human brainAnthony J Strong
Departments of Neurosurgery, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Stroke 33:2738-43. 2002..This study sought clear evidence for the occurrence and propagation of CSD in the injured human brain...
- Application of rapid-sampling, online microdialysis to the monitoring of brain metabolism during aneurysm surgeryRobin Bhatia
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Kings College London, GKT School of Medicine, Kings Denmark Hill Campus, London, England
Neurosurgery 58:ONS-313-20; discussion ONS-321. 2006..To introduce rapid-sampling microdialysis for the early detection of adverse metabolic changes in tissue at risk during aneurysm surgery...
- Repetitive cortical spreading depolarizations in a case of severe brain traumaJed A Hartings
Division of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Neurol Res 30:876-82. 2008..Here we performed multi-modal cerebral monitoring to investigate pathologies associated with CSD occurrence in a case of severe traumatic brain injury...
- Dr. Bernice Grafstein's paper on the mechanism of spreading depressionAnthony J Strong
J Neurophysiol 94:5-7. 2005
- Treatment of critical care patients with substantial acute ischemic or traumatic brain injuryAnthony J Strong
Crit Care Med 33:2147-9; author reply 2149. 2005
- Cortical spreading ischemia in the absence of proximal vasospasm after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: evidence for a dual mechanism of delayed cerebral ischemiaAnthony J Strong
King s College London, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 32:201-2. 2012..That such events can occur in the substantial absence of proximal vasospasm is compatible with this concept, but the preliminary evidence needs support from more extensive studies...
- Peri-infarct depolarizations lead to loss of perfusion in ischaemic gyrencephalic cerebral cortexAnthony J Strong
King s College London, Department of Clinical Neurosciences Neurosurgery, UK
Brain 130:995-1008. 2007..The findings suggest that such events play a central rather than a subsidiary role in cerebral infarction in the gyrencephalic brain...
- Cortical spreading depression: an adverse but treatable factor in intensive care?Anthony J Strong
King s College London, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, London, UK
Curr Opin Crit Care 13:126-33. 2007....
- Evaluation of laser speckle flowmetry for imaging cortical perfusion in experimental stroke studies: quantitation of perfusion and detection of peri-infarct depolarisationsAnthony J Strong
King s College London, Department of Clinical Neurosciences Neurosurgery, London, UK
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 26:645-53. 2006....
- Transient changes in cortical glucose and lactate levels associated with peri-infarct depolarisations, studied with rapid-sampling microdialysisSarah E Hopwood
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Section of Neurosurgery, King s College, London, UK
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 25:391-401. 2005..001). The results also characterise a metabolic signature for PIDs for possible application in clinical work, and emphasise potential risks in the use of insulin to control plasma glucose in patients with brain injury...
- Dynamic metabolic response to multiple spreading depolarizations in patients with acute brain injury: an online microdialysis studyDelphine Feuerstein
Department of Bioengineering, Imperial College London, London, UK
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 30:1343-55. 2010..Such a failure would compromise cellular repolarization and hence tissue viability. The findings offer a new mechanism to account for otherwise unexplained instances of depletion of brain microdialysate glucose...
- Persisting depletion of brain glucose following cortical spreading depression, despite apparent hyperaemia: evidence for risk of an adverse effect of Leão's spreading depressionParastoo Hashemi
Department of Bioengineering, Imperial College, London, UK
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 29:166-75. 2009....
- Dynamic changes in brain glucose and lactate in pericontusional areas of the human cerebral cortex, monitored with rapid sampling on-line microdialysis: relationship with depolarisation-like eventsMark Parkin
Department of Chemistry, Kings College London, Strand, London, UK
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 25:402-13. 2005..76, P=0.0004, n=11). It is proposed that the recently documented adverse impact of low dialysate glucose on clinical outcome may be because of recurrent, spontaneous spreading-depression-like events in the perilesion cortex...
- Detection of spreading depolarization with intraparenchymal electrodes in the injured human brainToby Jeffcote
Department of Neurosurgery, King s College Hospital, London, UK
Neurocrit Care 20:21-31. 2014..This study examined whether these events can be detected using intra-cortical electrodes, opening the way for electrode insertion via burr hole...
- Association of seizures with cortical spreading depression and peri-infarct depolarisations in the acutely injured human brainMartin Fabricius
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Glostrup Hospital, Nordre Ringvej, 2600 Glostrup, Denmark
Clin Neurophysiol 119:1973-84. 2008....
- Spreading depolarizations occur in human ischemic stroke with high incidenceChristian Dohmen
Department of Neurology, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Ann Neurol 63:720-8. 2008..For decades it has been questioned whether CSD or PID occur in human ischemic stroke. Here, we describe CSD and PID in patients with malignant middle cerebral artery infarction detected by subdural electrocorticography (ECoG)...
- Delayed ischaemic neurological deficits after subarachnoid haemorrhage are associated with clusters of spreading depolarizationsJens P Dreier
Department of Experimental Neurology and Neurology, Charite University Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Brain 129:3224-37. 2006..In view of experimental evidence and the present clinical results, we suggest that spreading depolarizations with prolonged depressions are a promising target for treatment development in SAH and ischaemic stroke...
- Cortical spreading depression and peri-infarct depolarization in acutely injured human cerebral cortexMartin Fabricius
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Glostrup Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Brain 129:778-90. 2006..We hypothesize that the depolarization events might contribute to tissue damage in acute disorders in the human brain...