Affiliation: King's College London
- Maladaptive cognitive appraisals mediate the evolution of posttraumatic stress reactions: A 6-month follow-up of child and adolescent assault and motor vehicle accident survivorsRichard Meiser-Stedman
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, England
J Abnorm Psychol 118:778-87. 2009..g., subjective threat, memory processes) may have an effect only in the acute phase. The implications of this study for the treatment of PTSS in youths are discussed...
- War exposure and maternal reactions in the psychological adjustment of children from Bosnia-HercegovinaP Smith
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 42:395-404. 2001..59). Although evidence exists for an association between maternal mental health and mother rating errors, there is also a substantive association between maternal mental health and children's adjustment following war...
- War exposure among children from Bosnia-Hercegovina: psychological adjustment in a community samplePatrick Smith
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, Camberwell, London, United Kingdom
J Trauma Stress 15:147-56. 2002..Girls reported more distress than boys, but there were few meaningful age effects within the age band studied. Results are discussed in the context of service development for children in war...
- Parent and child agreement for acute stress disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and other psychopathology in a prospective study of children and adolescents exposed to single-event traumaRichard Meiser-Stedman
Department of Psychology P77, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London, UK
J Abnorm Child Psychol 35:191-201. 2007..The findings support the need to directly interview children and adolescents, particularly for the early screening of posttraumatic stress, and suggest that other anxiety disorders may have a clearer presentation post-trauma...
- The posttraumatic stress disorder diagnosis in preschool- and elementary school-age children exposed to motor vehicle accidentsRichard Meiser-Stedman
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, De Crespigny Park, London SE58AF, UK
Am J Psychiatry 165:1326-37. 2008..The authors examined these issues in a prospective longitudinal assessment of preschool- and elementary school-age children who were exposed to a traumatic event...
- Dissociative symptoms and the acute stress disorder diagnosis in children and adolescents: a replication of the Harvey and Bryant (1999) studyRichard Meiser-Stedman
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, London
J Trauma Stress 20:359-64. 2007..The implications of these findings for how ASD is applied to youth are discussed...
- Treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder in children and adolescentsPatrick Smith
Department of Psychology, King s College London, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Curr Opin Psychiatry 26:66-72. 2013....
- Development and validation of the Child Post-Traumatic Cognitions Inventory (CPTCI)Richard Meiser-Stedman
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 50:432-40. 2009..The measure was devised as an age-appropriate version of the adult Post-Traumatic Cognitions Inventory (Foa et al., 1999)...
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy for PTSD in children and adolescents: a preliminary randomized controlled trialPatrick Smith
Kings College London, Institute of Psychiatry, UK
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 46:1051-61. 2007..To evaluate the efficacy of individual trauma-focused cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) for treating posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in children and young people...
- The role of the family in child and adolescent posttraumatic stress following attendance at an emergency departmentRichard A Meiser-Stedman
Department of Psychology P77, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London, SE5 8AF, United Kingdom
J Pediatr Psychol 31:397-402. 2006..To evaluate the role of family factors in posttraumatic stress symptomatology (PTSS) in children and adolescents who have attended an emergency department following assaults or motor vehicle accident...
- Diagnostic, demographic, memory quality, and cognitive variables associated with acute stress disorder in children and adolescentsRichard Meiser-Stedman
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London, United Kingdom
J Abnorm Psychol 116:65-79. 2007..The results are discussed with respect to assessment and treatment for the acute traumatic stress responses of children and young people...
- The Trauma Memory Quality Questionnaire: preliminary development and validation of a measure of trauma memory characteristics for children and adolescentsRichard Meiser-Stedman
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Memory 15:271-9. 2007..The TMQQ was found to possess good internal consistency, criterion validity, and construct validity, but test-retest reliability has yet to be established...
- A twin study of anxiety-related behaviours in pre-school childrenThalia C Eley
Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Research Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 44:945-60. 2003..However, little is known about the genetics of these categories and especially about the phenotypic and genetic structure of related behaviours in pre-school children...
- Prevalence and genetic and environmental influences on anxiety disorders in 6-year-old twinsDerek Bolton
Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London, UK
Psychol Med 36:335-44. 2006..The present study reports prevalence estimates in a community sample of 6-year-old twins, and patterns of genetic and environmental influences on these early-onset anxiety disorders...
- Mood regulation in youth: research findings and clinical approaches to irritability and short-lived episodes of mania-like symptomsEleanor Leigh
King s College London, Institute of Psychiatry, Mood Disorder Clinic, Michael Rutter Centre for Children and Young People, Maudsley Hospital, London, UK
Curr Opin Psychiatry 25:271-6. 2012..Here, we review the most recent findings about these two presentations and discuss the approaches to their treatment...
- Acute stress disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder in children and adolescents involved in assaults or motor vehicle accidentsRichard Meiser-Stedman
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF, U K
Am J Psychiatry 162:1381-3. 2005..The authors investigated acute stress disorder and later posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in children and adolescents who had been involved in assaults or motor vehicle accidents...
- Early psychological intervention for auditory hallucinations: an exploratory study of young people's voices groupsElizabeth Newton
Early Intervention Service and Department of Psychology, Mental Health Services, Wulstan Unit, Newtown Hospital, Newtown Road, Worcester WR5 1JG, UK
J Nerv Ment Dis 193:58-61. 2005..Significant reductions in auditory hallucinations occurred over the total treatment phase, but not over the waiting period. Further investigations in the form of randomized controlled trials are warranted...
- Post-traumatic stress reactions of children and adolescents exposed to the Athens 1999 earthquakeIoanna Giannopoulou
NHS Community Mental Health Centre of Peristeri, Ploutonos and Ifaistou, 121 35 Athens, Greece
Eur Psychiatry 21:160-6. 2006..The severity of anxiety symptoms was most strongly predicted by female gender. These findings are discussed in relation to the need for screening and intervention following earthquake events...
- Predictive validity of acute stress disorder in children and adolescentsTim Dalgleish
Medical Research Council Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, Cambridge, UK
Br J Psychiatry 192:392-3. 2008..Furthermore, thresholds of either three or more re-experiencing symptoms, or six or more re-experiencing/hyperarousal symptoms, were as effective at predicting PTSD as the full acute stress disorder diagnosis...
- The staufen/pumilio pathway is involved in Drosophila long-term memoryJosh Dubnau
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1 Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
Curr Biol 13:286-96. 2003..To date, little is known about the molecular-genetic mechanisms that contribute to this process during memory formation...