Affiliation: King's College London
- Ocular presentation of the SAPHO syndromeM Smith
Br J Ophthalmol 89:1069-70. 2005
- First- v. second-generation antipsychotics and risk for diabetes in schizophrenia: systematic review and meta-analysisM Smith
Department of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London SE5 9RJ, UK
Br J Psychiatry 192:406-11. 2008..The increased prevalence of diabetes in schizophrenia is partly attributed to antipsychotic treatment, in particular second-generation antipsychotics, but the evidence has not been systematically reviewed...
- [18F]2-fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography (FDG PET) as a diagnostic tool for neurofibromatosis 1 (NF1) associated malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumours (MPNSTs): a long-term clinical studyR E Ferner
Department of Neurology, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, Kings College London, London, UK
Ann Oncol 19:390-4. 2008....
- Down-regulation of leucocyte immunoglobulin-like receptor expression in the synovium of rheumatoid arthritis patients after treatment with disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugsO A Huynh
Inflammatory Diseases Research Unit, Wallace Wurth Building, University of New South Wales, Sydney 2052, Australia
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:742-51. 2007....
- History of illness prior to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder or schizoaffective disorderM Berk
Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences, Barwon Health, The University of Melbourne, PO Box 281, Geelong, Victoria 3220, Australia
J Affect Disord 103:181-6. 2007..There are obstacles to early identification of bipolar disorder. Identifying and treating illness early in its time course may be associated with a better prognosis...
- ALS incidence in Nova Scotia over a 20-year-period: a prospective studyJ P Bonaparte
Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 34:69-73. 2007..This study was performed to determine the current incidence of ALS in Nova Scotia and to compare this to data collected in 1984 and 1995...
- Free insulin-like growth factor-I and breast cancer riskB D Li
Feist-Weiller Cancer Center, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana, USA
Int J Cancer 91:736-9. 2001..The findings of this study suggest that measuring free IGF-I in circulation is more useful than measuring total IGF-I with respect to evaluation of an association between IGF-I and breast cancer risk...
- Can attribution theory explain carers' propensity to help men with intellectual disabilities who display inappropriate sexual behaviour?P Willner
Learning Disabilities Directorate, Bro Morgannwg NHS Trust, Bridgend, UK
J Intellect Disabil Res 52:79-88. 2008....
- Viral respiratory infections at the Hajj: comparison between UK and Saudi pilgrimsH Rashid
Academic Unit of Child Health, Barts and The London Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:569-74. 2008..Overall, a significantly higher proportion of the UK pilgrims had detectable respiratory infections (25% vs. 13%, p 0.01). Influenza rates were similar in both groups, but the reported rates of influenza vaccination differed...
- Major clinical outcomes in antiretroviral therapy (ART)-naive participants and in those not receiving ART at baseline in the SMART studySean Emery
Therapeutic and Vaccine Research Program, National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of New South Wales, 376 Victoria St, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
J Infect Dis 197:1133-44. 2008..In the DC group, participants started ART when the CD4+ cell count was <250 cells/microL. Clinical outcomes in participants not receiving ART at entry inform the early use of ART...
- Head injuries: a study evaluating the impact of the NICE head injury guidelinesZ Hassan
Emergency Medicine, Hope Hospital Salford, Urmston, Manchester
Emerg Med J 22:845-9. 2005..We wished to determine the impact of NICE on SXR, CT scan, and admission on all patients with head injury presenting to the ED setting and estimate the cost effectiveness of these guidelines, which has not been quantified to date...
- The epidemiology of genital infection with herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2 in genitourinary medicine attendees in inner LondonM Ramaswamy
Department of Virology, Royal Free Hospital and Royal Free and University College Medical School, Rowland Hill Street, London NW3 2PF, UK
Sex Transm Infect 81:306-8. 2005..HSV-2 specific serology improves diagnostic accuracy in GUM populations where most genital infections are caused by HSV-2...
- Manometric squeeze pressure difference parallels functional outcome after overlapping sphincter reconstructionH T Ha
Section of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 44:655-60. 2001..37; P = 0.007). CONCLUSIONS: Overlapping sphincter reconstruction improved anal function in the majority of patients. The most important factor in the return to normal sphincter function is an increase in squeeze pressure...
- Improving general practitioners' assessment and management of suicide riskR Paxton
Northumberland Mental Health NHS Trust, Morpeth, Northumberland, UK
Int J Health Care Qual Assur Inc Leadersh Health Serv 14:133-8. 2001..Given the importance of the topic and the small size of this study, further research is needed, examining changes in professional practice, knowledge and attitudes...
- Morbidity and mortality in rheumatoid arthritis patients with prolonged and profound therapy-induced lymphopeniaJ D Isaacs
University of Leeds, UK
Arthritis Rheum 44:1998-2008. 2001..These data are also relevant to patients receiving lymphocytotoxic mAb therapy for other indications, and to patients receiving other lymphodepleting therapies such as autologous stem cell transplantation...
- Adrenal myelolipoma - clinical, radiological and cytological findings: a case reportM Osborn
St Mary's Hospital, London, UK
Cytopathology 13:242-6. 2002
- Postnatal depression across countries and cultures: a qualitative studyM R Oates
Division of Psychiatry, University of Nottingham, UK
Br J Psychiatry Suppl 46:s10-6. 2004..However, anthropologists question the cross-cultural equivalence of depression, particularly at a life stage so influenced by cultural factors...
- Unintended effects and their detection in genetically modified cropsF Cellini
Metapontum Agrobios, SS Jonica Km 448.2, I-75010 Metaponto Matera, Italy
Food Chem Toxicol 42:1089-125. 2004..Importantly, the significance of unintended effects on consumer health are discussed and conclusions and recommendations presented on the various approaches outlined...
- Long-term faecal incontinence following the use of botulinum toxinM Smith
Colorectal Dis 6:526-7. 2004
- Axonal pathology in subarachnoid and intracerebral hemorrhageA Petzold
Department of Neuroimmunology, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London, United Kingdom
J Neurotrauma 22:407-14. 2005..CSF NfH phosphoforms might emerge as a putative surrogate marker for monitoring the development for secondary axonal degeneration in neurocritical care and guiding targeted neuroprotective strategies...
- Changes in arterial oxygenation and self-reported oxygen use after lung volume reduction surgeryMargaret L Snyder
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 6522, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 178:339-45. 2008..Lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS) is inconsistently reported to improve arterial oxygenation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...