S O Shaheen
Affiliation: King's College London
- Frequent paracetamol use and asthma in adultsS O Shaheen
Department of Public Health Sciences, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, London SE1 3QD, UK
Thorax 55:266-70. 2000..Since paracetamol (acetaminophen) depletes the lung of glutathione in animals, a study was undertaken to investigate whether frequent use in humans was associated with asthma...
- Dietary antioxidants and asthma in adults: population-based case-control studyS O Shaheen
Department of Public Health Sciences, King s College, Capital House, London, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:1823-8. 2001..The associations between apple and red wine consumption and asthma may indicate a protective effect of flavonoids. The findings for dietary selenium could have implications for health policy in Britain where intake has been declining...
- Paracetamol use in pregnancy and wheezing in early childhoodS O Shaheen
Department of Public Health Sciences, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College, London, SE1 3QD, UK
Thorax 57:958-63. 2002..We recently reported links between frequent paracetamol (acetaminophen) use and wheezing and asthma in adults and children, but data are lacking on possible effects of prenatal exposure on wheezing in early childhood...
- Umbilical cord trace elements and minerals and risk of early childhood wheezing and eczemaS O Shaheen
Dept of Public Health Sciences, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College, London, UK
Eur Respir J 24:292-7. 2004..The level of foetal exposure to selenium and iron may possibly influence the risk of wheezing and eczema in early childhood although, in view of the multiple analyses carried out, it is possible that the main findings occurred by chance...
- Prenatal paracetamol exposure and risk of asthma and elevated immunoglobulin E in childhoodS O Shaheen
Department of Public Health Sciences, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College London, London, UK
Clin Exp Allergy 35:18-25. 2005..We recently found that paracetamol (acetaminophen) use in late pregnancy was associated with an increased risk of early wheezing in the offspring...
- Maternal testosterone in pregnancy and atopic outcomes in childhoodS O Shaheen
Respiratory Epidemiology and Public Health Group, National Heart and Lung Institute at Imperial College, London, UK
Allergy 62:25-32. 2007..In mice, androgens downregulate Th2 cytokine responses, but whether androgen levels during pregnancy might influence the development of allergy in the offspring has not been studied...
- Dietary intake of flavonoids and asthma in adultsV Garcia
Dept of Public Health Sciences, King s College London, 5th Floor, Capital House, 42 Weston St, London, SE1 3QD, UK
Eur Respir J 26:449-52. 2005..It is possible that other flavonoids or polyphenols present in apples may explain the protective effect of apples on obstructive lung disease...
- The relationship of dietary patterns with adult lung function and COPDS O Shaheen
Respiratory Epidemiology and Public Health Group, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, UK
Eur Respir J 36:277-84. 2010..012). Associations in males were stronger in smokers than nonsmokers (interaction p-value for FEV(1)/FVC 0.002). A "prudent" dietary pattern may protect against impaired lung function and COPD, especially in male smokers...
- Childhood asthma and fruit consumptionB J Okoko
Respiratory Epidemiology and Public Health Group, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, Emmanuel Kaye Building, Manresa Road, London SW3 6LR, UK
Eur Respir J 29:1161-8. 2007....
- Vitamin D deficiency and the asthma epidemicS O Shaheen
Thorax 63:293; author reply 293. 2008