D A Scott
Affiliation: King's College London
- The acute influence of tobacco smoking on adhesion molecule expression on monocytes and neutrophils and on circulating adhesion molecule levels in vivoD A Scott
Dental Clinical Research, Guy s, King s and St Thomas s Schools of Medicine and Dentistry, King s College London, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Addict Biol 5:195-205. 2000..These data suggest that the elevated concentration of sICAM-1 in smokers is not due to an immediate effect of smoking...
- Dramatic decline in circulating intercellular adhesion molecule-1 concentration on quitting tobacco smokingD A Scott
Dental Clinical Research, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Blood Cells Mol Dis 26:255-8. 2000..Soluble ICAM-1 remains bioactive and may contribute to pathogenic processes; therefore, reduction in the concentration of circulating ICAM-1 molecules may directly contribute to the health benefits associated with smoking cessation...
- Potential mechanisms of susceptibility to periodontitis in tobacco smokersR M Palmer
Department of Periodontology, Guy s, Kings School of Medicine and Dentistry, King s College London, UK
J Periodontal Res 34:363-9. 1999..These observations may be relevant to aetiological mechanisms in periodontitis and other smoking-associated diseases...
- Effect of nicotine replacement and quitting smoking on circulating adhesion molecule profiles (sICAM-1, sCD44v5, sCD44v6)R M Palmer
Department of Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, King s College London, UK
Eur J Clin Invest 32:852-7. 2002..We have previously shown that systemic concentrations of these molecules are increased significantly in tobacco smokers, but reduce to within normal levels at 12 months following successful quitting...
- Expression of ICAM-1 and E-selectin in gingival tissues of smokers and non-smokers with periodontitisK Rezavandi
Department of Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, Guy's, King's and St. Thomas' Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, King's College London, London, UK
J Oral Pathol Med 31:59-64. 2002..Reduced ICAM-1 expression in non-inflamed areas of smokers could reflect a systemic effect of tobacco smoking on ICAM-1 independent of inflammation...
- Elevated systemic concentrations of soluble ICAM-1 (sICAM) are not reflected in the gingival crevicular fluid of smokers with periodontitisH S Fraser
Department of Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, Guy's, King's, and St Thomas' Dental Institute, School of Medicine, King's College London, UK
J Dent Res 80:1643-7. 2001..001). Since GCF is a serum-derived tissue exudate, these results suggest that, in smokers, circulating sICAM-1 molecules are affected either in their passage from the periodontal microvasculature or within the periodontal tissues...
- Validation of smoking status in clinical research into inflammatory periodontal diseaseD A Scott
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, Canada, R3E OW2
J Clin Periodontol 28:715-22. 2001..DISCUSSION: Additionally, clinical studies that have examined periodontal health in subjects with validated smoking status are discussed...
- Tobacco-induced alterations to the Fourier-transform infrared spectrum of serumJ T Borden
Department of Oral Biology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Manitoba, 780 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, R3E 0W2, Canada
J Mol Med 81:788-94. 2003..This further extends the utility of IR spectroscopy as a rapidly emerging tool in the field of molecular biodiagnostics...
- The influence of vitamin C on systemic markers of endothelial and inflammatory cell activation in smokers and non-smokersD A Scott
Periodontics, Endodontics and Dental Hygiene, School of Dentistry, University of Louisville, 501 South Preston, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Inflamm Res 54:138-44. 2005....
- Increased local matrix metalloproteinase-8 expression in the periodontal connective tissues of smokers with periodontal diseaseK Z Liu
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1762:775-80. 2006..This finding may also have relevance to other tobacco-induced inflammatory diseases, such as vascular and pulmonary diseases...
- Variation in tobacco use profiles obtained from periodontal maintenance patientsJ P Picard
Department of Dental Diagnostics, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Man, Canada
J Dent 35:934-8. 2007..To compare methods of tobacco use profiling in patients undergoing maintenance treatment for periodontitis...
- Gingival bleeding on probing increases after quitting smokingP Nair
Department of Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, Guy's, King's and St Thomas' School of Dentistry, Kings College, Guy's Campus, London SE1 9RT, UK
J Clin Periodontol 30:435-7. 2003..CONCLUSION: This provides further evidence that tobacco smoking affects the inflammatory response and that these changes are reversible on quitting...