Affiliation: King's College London
- Long-term care and dementia services: an impending crisisAlastair Macdonald
Old Age Psychiatry, SL and M NHS Trust, South London, London, UK
Age Ageing 36:16-22. 2007..We therefore estimated the number and proportion of older residents in care homes who suffer from dementia relative to all those with dementia in the United Kingdom and projected future levels of demand on the basis of this data...
- Objections to routine clinical outcomes measurement in mental health services: any evidence so far?Alastair J D MacDonald
Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, London, UK
J Ment Health 19:517-22. 2010..Routine clinical outcomes measurement (RCOM) is gaining importance in mental health services...
- The birth of a specialty: the first ten thousand patients of an old age psychiatry serviceA MacDonald
Institute of Psychiatry, London, U K
Int Psychogeriatr 19:53-63. 2007..There are few accounts of referrals to old age psychiatry services and no quantitative accounts of the referral patterns to such teams. We report on the first 10,000 patients newly referred to the first such service in the world...
- C-reactive protein levels predict the incidence of delirium and recovery from itAlastair Macdonald
Institute of Psychiatry, Psychological Medicine, London, UK
Age Ageing 36:222-5. 2007
- Impact of the demand for 'proxy assent' on recruitment to a randomised controlled trial of vaccination testing in care homesPaul James Whelan
Older People and Healthy Ageing, Central and North West London NHS FT, London, UK
J Med Ethics 39:36-40. 2013..Further thought should be given to how assent to enter research for those who lack capacity should be provided, and we suggest avenues for further discussion such as independent risk/benefit expert panels...
- The evaluation of delirium post-strokeJohn Mc Manus
Department of Clinical Gerontology, Clinical Age Research Unit, King s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Denmark Hill, Bessemer Road, London, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24:1251-6. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess and compare the Confusion Assessment Method (CAM) and the Delirium Rating Scale (DRS) in the detection of delirium in the acute stroke setting, when used by a non-psychiatrist doctor...
- 'Do you feel that your life is empty?' The clinical utility of a one-off question for detecting depression in elderly care home residentsPaul James Whelan
South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, Mental Health of Older Adults, London, UK
Age Ageing 37:475-8. 2008
- The utility of the Mini-Mental State Examination in guiding assessment of capacity to consent to researchPaul J P Whelan
North Southwark CMHT, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, London, U K
Int Psychogeriatr 21:338-44. 2009..We aimed to assess the utility of the MMSE in predicting capacity to consent to research in elderly U.K. care home residents, to determine the optimal cut-point score, and to ascertain which items of the MMSE most predicted capacity...
- Concepts and causation of depression: a cross-cultural study of the beliefs of older adultsVanessa Lawrence
PO26, Section of Mental Health and Ageing, Health Services Research Department, The David Goldberg Centre, The Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF, UK
Gerontologist 46:23-32. 2006..The study sought to explore and compare beliefs about the nature and causes of depression, and to suggest ways in which these beliefs act to facilitate or deter older people from accessing treatment...
- 'They're all depressed, aren't they?' A qualitative study of social care workers and depression in older adultsN McCrae
Section of Mental Health and Ageing, Health Services Research Department, Institute of Psychiatry, Denmark Hill, London, UK
Aging Ment Health 9:508-16. 2005..While primary care was criticised for not taking depression seriously in older people, mental health services were generally praised. Expansion of social, recreational and psychological interventions was advocated...
- The course of delirium in acute strokeJohn McManus
Department of Clinical Gerontology, King s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Denmark Hill, London, UK
Age Ageing 38:385-9. 2009..several studies have assessed delirium post-stroke but conflicting results have been obtained. Also, the natural history and outcome of delirium post-stroke need to be fully elucidated...
- A feasibility and tolerability study of lithium in Alzheimer's diseaseAlastair Macdonald
NIHR Biomedical Research Centre for Mental Health at the South London and Maudsley Foundation NHS Trust and the MRC Centre for Neurodegeneration Research, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 23:704-11. 2008..To assess the safety and feasibility of prescribing long term lithium to elderly people with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- An attempt to determine the benefits of a 'home-for-life' principle in residential care for people with dementia and behavioural problems: a comparative cohort studyAlastair Macdonald
Joint Division of Psychological Medicine, Guy s, King s and St Thomas Medical Schools and Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, London, UK
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 18:6-14. 2004..Our results confirm previous studies of the disruptive effects of re-location for patients with severe dementia but do not suggest major differences between the two models of care...
- Flu: effect of vaccine in elderly care home residents: a randomized trialFiona Gaughran
Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:1912-20. 2007..To determine whether assessing seroprotection after influenza vaccine and administering booster vaccination where not achieved reduces hospitalization and death. To estimate the overall seroprotection rate of influenza vaccine...
- Primary care professionals' perceptions of depression in older people: a qualitative studyJoanna Murray
Health Services Research Department, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, London, UK
Soc Sci Med 63:1363-73. 2006..Families were identified as the main source of both support and distress; and as such their influence could be crucial to the identification and treatment of depression in older people...
- Male gender influences response to an educational package for delirium prevention among older people: a stratified analysisNaji Tabet
Postgraduate Medical School, Faculty of Health, University of Brighton, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 21:493-7. 2006..It is not yet established whether specific and 'fixed' patients' characteristics influence the rate of response to such an intervention...
- Dementia is being avoided in NHS and social careAlastair Macdonald
BMJ 324:548. 2002
- Delirium post-strokeJohn McManus
Department of Clinical Gerontology, Clinical Age Research Unit, King s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Denmark Hill, Bessemer Road, London SE5 9PJ, UK
Age Ageing 36:613-8. 2007..It is associated with longer stay in hospital, increased mortality and increased risk of institutionalisation post discharge. In this article, we review the literature to date on delirium in the acute stroke setting...
- Neglect of somatoform disordersBart Sheehan
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19:497. 2004