Affiliation: King's College London
- Implementing buprenorphine treatment in community settings in Australia: experiences from the Buprenorphine Implementation TrialNicholas Lintzeris
National Addiction Centre, 4 Windsor Walk, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AF, United Kingdom
Am J Addict 13:S29-41. 2004..Integration of treatment systems (methadone with buprenorphine, specialist and primary-care programs) and factors thought to be important in the uptake of buprenorphine treatment in Australia since registration are discussed...
- A randomized controlled trial of buprenorphine in the management of short-term ambulatory heroin withdrawalNicholas Lintzeris
Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Addiction 97:1395-404. 2002..To determine whether buprenorphine is more effective than clonidine and other symptomatic medications in managing ambulatory heroin withdrawal...
- Buprenorphine dosing regime for inpatient heroin withdrawal: a symptom-triggered dose titration studyNicholas Lintzeris
Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre, Victoria, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 70:287-94. 2003..A dosing regime using sublingual buprenorphine tablets for short inpatient heroin withdrawal is proposed...
- Interactions on mixing diazepam with methadone or buprenorphine in maintenance patientsNicholas Lintzeris
National Addiction Center, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, England
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:274-83. 2006..Diazepam may significantly alter the response to opioid substitution treatment with methadone or buprenorphine...
- Pharmacodynamics of diazepam co-administered with methadone or buprenorphine under high dose conditions in opioid dependent patientsNicholas Lintzeris
National Addiction Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London, and South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, P O Box 48, 4 Windsor Walk, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AF, United Kingdom
Drug Alcohol Depend 91:187-94. 2007..Benzodiazepine abuse is common among methadone- and buprenorphine-maintained patients; however interactions between these drugs under high dose conditions have not been adequately examined under controlled conditions...
- Treatment expectations and satisfaction of treatment-refractory opioid-dependent patients in RIOTT, the Randomised Injectable Opiate Treatment Trial, the UK's first supervised injectable maintenance clinicsTeodora Groshkova
National Addiction Centre, King s College London, London, UK European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, Lisbon, Portugal
Drug Alcohol Rev 32:566-73. 2013....
- Cost-effectiveness of injectable opioid treatment v. oral methadone for chronic heroin addictionSarah Byford
Sarah Byford, PhD, Barbara Barrett, PhD, Centre for the Economics of Mental and Physical Health, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK Nicola Metrebian, PhD, Addictions Department, National Addiction Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK Teodora Groshkova, PhD, European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, Lisbon, Portugal Maria Cary, MSc, Centre for the Economics of Mental and Physical Health, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK Vikki Charles, MA, Addictions Department, National Addiction Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK Nicholas Lintzeris, PhD, The Langton Centre, South Eastern Sydney Local Health District, NSW Health, Australia John Strang, MD, Addictions Department, National Addiction Centre, Italy
Br J Psychiatry 203:341-9. 2013..Despite evidence of the effectiveness of injectable opioid treatment compared with oral methadone for chronic heroin addiction, the additional cost of injectable treatment is considerable, and cost-effectiveness uncertain...
- A randomized trial comparing levo-alpha acetylmethadol with methadone maintenance for patients in primary care settings in AustraliaAlison J Ritter
Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Addiction 98:1605-13. 2003..The present study aimed to compare the efficacy of levo-alpha-acetylmethadol (LAAM) and methadone, as measured by retention in treatment and heroin use, in a randomized trial conducted under naturalistic conditions...
- Feasibility and acceptability of an intranasal diamorphine spray as an alternative to injectable diamorphine for maintenance treatmentTimothy B Mitchell
National Addiction Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, and South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, London, UK
Eur Addict Res 12:91-5. 2006..IN administration may be an alternative or supplementary form of diamorphine maintenance and deserves serious further investigation...
- Factors associated with the prescribing of buprenorphine or methadone for treatment of opiate dependenceGayle Ridge
National Addiction Centre, Maudsley Hospital Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, London, UK
J Subst Abuse Treat 37:95-100. 2009..Buprenorphine was more likely to be prescribed for short-term detoxification and methadone for maintenance treatment...
- Supervised injectable heroin or injectable methadone versus optimised oral methadone as treatment for chronic heroin addicts in England after persistent failure in orthodox treatment (RIOTT): a randomised trialJohn Strang
King s College London, National Addiction Centre, London, UK
Lancet 375:1885-95. 2010..We aimed to compare the effectiveness of supervised injectable treatment with medicinal heroin (diamorphine or diacetylmorphine) or supervised injectable methadone versus optimised oral methadone for chronic heroin addiction...
- Buprenorphine dosing regime in the management of out-patient heroin withdrawalNicholas Lintzeris
Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre and Australian National University, Victoria, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 21:39-45. 2002..Five subjects reported no heroin use, and five subjects reported using on only one occasion during the 8 days. An out-patient buprenorphine regime is recommended...
- Severe opiate withdrawal in a heroin user precipitated by a massive buprenorphine doseNicolas C Clark
Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre, Fitzroy, Vic
Med J Aust 176:166-7. 2002..This case highlights features of the unique pharmacology of buprenorphine and some key issues for its use in the management of heroin dependence...
- Training primary health care professionals to provide buprenorphine and LAAM treatmentNicholas Lintzeris
Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Subst Abus 23:245-54. 2002..Findings of the evaluation of these initiatives and the subsequent Australian postregistration training program for buprenorphine are described...
- "Should I stay or should I go?" Coming off methadone and buprenorphine treatmentAdam R Winstock
National Addiction Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, 4 Windsor Walk, London, UK
Int J Drug Policy 22:77-81. 2011..The study explored previous experiences, current interest and concerns about stopping treatment, and perceptions of how and when coming off treatment should be supported...
- Pharmaceutical opioid analgesic and heroin dependence: how do treatment-seeking clients differ in Australia?Suzanne Nielsen
Clinical Research, Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 30:291-9. 2011..The aim of this study was to compare those presenting for treatment where heroin versus POA were the primary drugs of concern...
- Unplanned admissions to two Sydney public hospitals after naltrexone implantsNicholas Lintzeris
Drug Health Services, Sydney South West Area Health Service, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 188:441-4. 2008..To describe hospital presentations related to the use of naltrexone implants, an unlicensed product used in Australia for treating heroin dependence...
- Cessation of methadone maintenance treatment using buprenorphine: transfer from methadone to buprenorphine and subsequent buprenorphine reductionsCourtney L Breen
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, NSW 2052, Sydney, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 71:49-55. 2003..Buprenorphine is used in the treatment of opioid dependence. Due to its pharmacology, the transfer from methadone to buprenorphine may precipitate withdrawal symptoms...
- A comparison of buprenorphine treatment in clinic and primary care settings: a randomised trialAmy E Gibson
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, UNSW Randwick Campus, King Street, Randwick, NSW 2052, Australia
Med J Aust 179:38-42. 2003..To compare outcomes, costs and incremental cost-effectiveness of heroin detoxification performed in a specialist clinic and in general practice...
- Short-term outcomes of five heroin detoxification methods in the Australian NEPOD ProjectErol Digiusto
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Addict Behav 30:443-56. 2005....