Affiliation: Kings College London
Location: London, United Kingdom
Dr. Sophia Karagiannis is a translational cancer immunologist specialising in antibody therapies for melanoma, ovarian and breast carcinomas who has undertaken discovery and development of immunotherapeutics in academic and biotechnology environments. She has a track record on evaluating the tumour-targeting mechanisms of IgE antibodies and Th2 responses in cancer and has led studies on monoclonal antibodies of the IgG and IgE classes for the treatment of solid tumours since 1998. These have yielded the first IgE antibody therapeutic candidate for the treatment of cancer, presently in development for clinical trials in patients with FRα+ carcinomas by her team at Kings College London in collaboration with Cancer Research UK.
Since 2007 she heads her own King
Lacy KE, Karagiannis SN, Nestle FO, Immunotherapy for melanoma. Expert Rev Dermatol, 7(1): 51-68, DOI:10.1586/edm.11.80, 2012.
Karagiannis SN, Nestle FO, Gould HJ. IgE interacts with potent effector cells against tumors: ADCC and ADCP, in
- Crescioli S, Correa I, Karagiannis P, Davies A, Sutton B, Nestle F, et al. IgG4 Characteristics and Functions in Cancer Immunity. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2016;16:7 pubmed publisher..We discuss the inflammatory conditions in tumors that support IgG4, the emerging and proposed mechanisms by which IgG4 may contribute to tumor-associated escape from immune surveillance and implications for cancer immunotherapy. ..
- Josephs D, Bax H, Dodev T, Georgouli M, Nakamura M, Pellizzari G, et al. Anti-Folate Receptor-? IgE but not IgG Recruits Macrophages to Attack Tumors via TNF?/MCP-1 Signaling. Cancer Res. 2017;77:1127-1141 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(5); 1127-41. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Crescioli S, Chiaruttini G, Mele S, Ilieva K, Pellizzari G, Spencer D, et al. Engineering and stable production of recombinant IgE for cancer immunotherapy and AllergoOncology. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018;: pubmed publisher....
- Karagiannis S, Bracher M, Beavil R, Beavil A, Hunt J, McCloskey N, et al. Role of IgE receptors in IgE antibody-dependent cytotoxicity and phagocytosis of ovarian tumor cells by human monocytic cells. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2008;57:247-63 pubmed..Harnessing IgE receptors to target tumor cells suggests the potential of tumor-specific IgE antibodies to activate effector cells in immunotherapy of ovarian cancer. ..
- Karagiannis S, Bracher M, Hunt J, McCloskey N, Beavil R, Beavil A, et al. IgE-antibody-dependent immunotherapy of solid tumors: cytotoxic and phagocytic mechanisms of eradication of ovarian cancer cells. J Immunol. 2007;179:2832-43 pubmed..These results demonstrate that IgE Abs can engage cell surface IgE receptors and activate effector cells against ovarian tumor cells. Our findings offer a framework for an improved immunotherapeutic strategy for combating solid tumors. ..
- Karagiannis S, Josephs D, Bax H, Spicer J. Therapeutic IgE Antibodies: Harnessing a Macrophage-Mediated Immune Surveillance Mechanism against Cancer. Cancer Res. 2017;77:2779-2783 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(11); 2779-83. ©2017 AACR. ..