O D Howes
Affiliation: King's College London
- The relationship between prolactin levels and glucose homeostasis in antipsychotic-treated schizophrenic patientsOliver D Howes
Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, Denmark Hill, London, UK
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:629-31. 2006..To determine if prolactin levels are associated with glucose-insulin homeostasis in antipsychotic-treated patients with schizophrenia...
- Sexual function and gonadal hormones in patients taking antipsychotic treatment for schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorderOliver D Howes
Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London, UK
J Clin Psychiatry 68:361-7. 2007..To determine rates of sexual dysfunction and hypogonadism and establish the relationship between gonadal hormone levels and sexual function in patients taking antipsychotic treatment for schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder...
- Elevated striatal dopamine function linked to prodromal signs of schizophreniaOliver D Howes
Section of Neuroimaging, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, England
Arch Gen Psychiatry 66:13-20. 2009....
- Bone mineral density and its relationship to prolactin levels in patients taking antipsychotic treatmentOliver D Howes
The Institute of Psychiatry, London SE5 8AF, UK
J Clin Psychopharmacol 25:259-61. 2005..BMD was correlated with body mass index but there was no correlation with prolactin. BMD was not correlated with prolactin levels and showed no clinically significant reduction. The low BMD in black males warrants further investigation...
- Mechanisms underlying psychosis and antipsychotic treatment response in schizophrenia: insights from PET and SPECT imagingO D Howes
PET Psychiatry MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College Hammersmith Campus, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Curr Pharm Des 15:2550-9. 2009..Finally, we discuss the implications of these PET and SPECT findings for new avenues of drug development...
- The effect of clozapine on factors controlling glucose homeostasisOliver D Howes
Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Psychiatry 65:1352-5. 2004..This prospective study examines the effect of clozapine on factors determining glucose homeostasis...
- Diabetic keto-acidotic (DKA) coma following olanzapine initiation in a previously euglycaemic woman and successful continued therapy with olanzapineO D Howes
The Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London, UK
J Psychopharmacol 18:435-7. 2004..The case highlights that changes in antipsychotic treatment may be associated with large changes in glucose tolerance, and that it is possible to continue antipsychotic treatment with appropriate diabetic care...
- Pathways to schizophrenia: the impact of environmental factorsOliver D Howes
Department of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF, UK
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 7:S7-S13. 2004..Thus, stresses, such as drug use and social adversity, in adolescence or early adult life may propel the neurodevelopmentally impaired individual over a threshold into frank psychosis...
- Street slang and schizophreniaOliver D Howes
Institute of Psychiatry, London SE5 8AF
BMJ 335:1294. 2007
- Abnormal frontostriatal interactions in people with prodromal signs of psychosis: a multimodal imaging studyPaolo Fusar-Poli
Psychosis Clinical Academic Group PO67, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London SE58AF, England
Arch Gen Psychiatry 67:683-91. 2010..Alterations in dopaminergic neurotransmission and function of the prefrontal cortex are thought to be central to the pathophysiology of schizophrenia, but the relationship between these factors in the development of psychosis is unclear...
- Abnormal prefrontal activation directly related to pre-synaptic striatal dopamine dysfunction in people at clinical high risk for psychosisP Fusar-Poli
Department of Psychological Medicine, Neuroimaging Section, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
Mol Psychiatry 16:67-75. 2011..These changes reflect an increased vulnerability to psychosis and predate the first episode of frank psychosis...
- Further evaluation of the carbon11-labeled D(2/3) agonist PET radiotracer PHNO: reproducibility in tracer characteristics and characterization of extrastriatal bindingAlice Egerton
Division of Neuroscience and Psychological Medicine, Department of Neuroscience and Mental Health, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Synapse 64:301-12. 2010....
- A prospective study of impairment in glucose control caused by clozapine without changes in insulin resistanceOliver D Howes
Division of Psychological Medicine, Insitute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Am J Psychiatry 161:361-3. 2004..This prospective study examines the effect of clozapine on glucose control and insulin sensitivity...
- Acute effect of the anti-addiction drug bupropion on extracellular dopamine concentrations in the human striatum: an [11C]raclopride PET studyAlice Egerton
Psychiatric Imaging, Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, UK
Neuroimage 50:260-6. 2010..These findings have important implications for understanding the mechanism of action underlying bupropions' therapeutic efficacy and for the development of novel treatments for addiction and depression...
- The test-retest reliability of 18F-DOPA PET in assessing striatal and extrastriatal presynaptic dopaminergic functionAlice Egerton
Psychiatric Imaging, Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Neuroimage 50:524-31. 2010..This information can be used to optimize the experimental design of future studies investigating changes in brain dopaminergic function with 18F-DOPA...
- The dopaminergic basis of human behaviors: A review of molecular imaging studiesAlice Egerton
Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital, United Kingdom
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 33:1109-32. 2009....
- Striatal dopamine synthesis capacity in twins discordant for schizophreniaP Shotbolt
Psychiatric Imaging, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College London, London, UK
Psychol Med 41:2331-8. 2011..Relatives of patients with schizophrenia are themselves at increased risk of developing the condition. In this study we examined striatal dopamine synthesis capacity in both members of twin pairs discordant for schizophrenia...
- A comprehensive review and model of putative prodromal features of bipolar affective disorderO D Howes
Psychiatric Imaging Group, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College Hammersmith Campus, London, UK
Psychol Med 41:1567-77. 2011..This review addresses two key questions: Is there a bipolar prodrome? And, if there is, what are its characteristic features?..
- The effect of ageing on grey and white matter reductions in schizophreniaSubrata K Bose
MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital Campus, Du Cane Road, London, UK
Schizophr Res 112:7-13. 2009..This suggests that illness related factors may differentially affect grey and white matter, with implications for understanding the pathophysiology of schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders...
- Functional neuroimaging in schizophrenia: diagnosis and drug discoveryPhilip McGuire
Sections of Neuroimaging, Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, De Crespigny Park 16, London, UK
Trends Pharmacol Sci 29:91-8. 2008..Here, we focus on the potential for the use of these techniques in the diagnosis of schizophrenia and in the development of new drugs for its treatment...
- Comments on "Prolactin levels and erectile function in patients treated with risperidone" (J Clin Psychopharmacol 2004;24:161-166)Oliver D Howes
J Clin Psychopharmacol 25:393-4. 2005
- Serum glutamic acid decarboxylase 65 antibody levels in people with schizophrenia and their familiesFiona Gaughran
Schizophr Res 73:379-81. 2005
- Comment on Hyperprolactinaemia and antipsychotic therapy in schizophreniaOliver D Howes
Curr Med Res Opin 20:1649. 2004
- Molecular imaging studies of the striatal dopaminergic system in psychosis and predictions for the prodromal phase of psychosisOliver D Howes
Br J Psychiatry Suppl 51:s13-8. 2007....