Juliet L Osborne
Affiliation: Institute for Animal Health
- Bumblebee flight distances in relation to the forage landscapeJuliet L Osborne
Department of Plant and Invertebrate Ecology, Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2JQ, UK
J Anim Ecol 77:406-15. 2008..terrestris foraging was large enough to buffer against effects of forage patch and flowering crop heterogeneity, but bee species with shorter foraging ranges may experience highly variable colony success according to location...
- Effects on weed and invertebrate abundance and diversity of herbicide management in genetically modified herbicide-tolerant winter-sown oilseed rapeDavid A Bohan
Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Hertfordshire AL5 2JQ, UK
Proc Biol Sci 272:463-74. 2005..Year totals for Collembola were greater under GMHT management. There were few other treatment effects on invertebrates, despite the marked effects of herbicide management on the weeds...
- Two bee-pollinated plant species show higher seed production when grown in gardens compared to arable farmlandJohn Cussans
Plant and Invertebrate Ecology Department, Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e11753. 2010....
- The ontogeny of bumblebee flight trajectories: from naïve explorers to experienced foragersJuliet L Osborne
Environment and Sustainability Institute, University of Exeter, Penryn, Cornwall, United Kingdom Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e78681. 2013..In summary bumblebees learn to find home and food rapidly, though phases of orientation, learning and searching were not easily separable, suggesting some multi-tasking. ..
- Honeybees perform optimal scale-free searching flights when attempting to locate a food sourceAndrew M Reynolds
Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, UK
J Exp Biol 210:3763-70. 2007..The implications of these findings for animal foraging in general are discussed...
- Pollination biology of fruit-bearing hedgerow plants and the role of flower-visiting insects in fruit-setJennifer H Jacobs
Plant and Invertebrate Ecology Department, Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Herts AL5 2JQ, UK
Ann Bot 104:1397-404. 2009..The present study investigates the pollination biology of five common hedgerow plants: blackthorn (Prunus spinosa), hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna), dog rose (Rosa canina), bramble (Rubus fruticosus) and ivy (Hedera helix)...