D A Hughes
Affiliation: Institute for Animal Health
- Low density lipoprotein from patients with Type 2 diabetes increases expression of monocyte matrix metalloproteinase and ADAM metalloproteinase genesJoanna R Worley
School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, NR4 7TJ, UK
Cardiovasc Diabetol 6:21. 2007..We hypothesised that plasma low density lipoprotein [LDL] from subjects with Type 2 diabetes would influence in vitro monocytic ADAM and matrix metalloproteinase [MMP] gene expression differently compared to control LDL...
- Pro-oxidant effect of alpha-tocopherol in patients with type 2 diabetes after an oral glucose tolerance test--a randomised controlled trialMark S Winterbone
Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, NR4 7UA, UK
Cardiovasc Diabetol 6:8. 2007....
- Lack of association of colonic epithelium telomere length and oxidative DNA damage in Type 2 diabetes under good metabolic controlDeepak Kejariwal
Department of Gastroenterology, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital Colney Lane, Norwich NR4 7UY, UK
BMC Endocr Disord 8:12. 2008..We hypothesised that the colonic mucosa in Type 2 diabetes would be characterised by increased DNA damage and telomere shortening...
- Effects of dietary antioxidants on the immune function of middle-aged adultsD A Hughes
Department of Nutrition, Diet and Health, Institute of Food Research, Norwich, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 58:79-84. 1999..A further review, dealing more specifically with the effects of carotenoids on human immune function, will be presented at a forthcoming meeting of the Nutrition Society...
- Effects of carotenoids on human immune functionD A Hughes
Diet, Health and Consumer Science Division, Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 58:713-8. 1999..Finally, possible reasons for the failure of three major prospective studies to demonstrate a beneficial effect of beta-carotene supplementation on lung cancer risk will be discussed...
- Vitamin D and respiratory healthD A Hughes
Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
Clin Exp Immunol 158:20-5. 2009....
- Effects of lycopene and lutein supplementation on the expression of functionally associated surface molecules on blood monocytes from healthy male nonsmokersD A Hughes
Diet, Health and Consumer Science Division, Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Colney, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UA, UK
J Infect Dis 182:S11-5. 2000..These findings emphasize that it cannot be assumed that the effect of one carotenoid will be the same as another, even at the same level of intake...
- Dietary carotenoids and human immune functionD A Hughes
Immunology Group, Nutrition, Health and Consumer Science Division, Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UA, United Kingdom
Nutrition 17:823-7. 2001..Future studies comparing supplements with real foodstuffs, combined with postgenomic technologies, will help define optimal intakes for different sectors of the population...
- n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation, monocyte adhesion molecule expression and pro-inflammatory mediators in Type 2 diabetes mellitusM J Sampson
Bertram Diabetes Research Unit, Norfolk, UK
Diabet Med 18:51-8. 2001....
- Cord blood telomere length, telomerase activity and inflammatory markers in pregnancies in women with diabetes or gestational diabetesJ A Cross
Institute of Food Research, Colney Lane, Norwich, UK
Diabet Med 27:1264-70. 2010....
- n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids inhibit the antigen-presenting function of human monocytesD A Hughes
Diet, Health and Consumer Science Division, the Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Colney, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UA, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 71:357S-60S. 2000....
- Chromosomal telomere attrition as a mechanism for the increased risk of epithelial cancers and senescent phenotypes in type 2 diabetesM J Sampson
School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7UA, UK
Diabetologia 49:1726-31. 2006....
- Monocyte and neutrophil adhesion molecule expression during acute hyperglycemia and after antioxidant treatment in type 2 diabetes and control patientsM J Sampson
Bertram Diabetes Research Unit, Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital NHS Trust, Colney, Norwich, UK
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22:1187-93. 2002....
- Reticulated platelets interfere with flow cytometric reticulocyte countsK Ivory
Gastrointestinal Biology and Health, Institute of Food Research, Colney, Norwich, East Anglia, UK
Int J Lab Hematol 29:352-60. 2007..We conclude that it is necessary to exclude reticulated platelets from flow cytometric reticulocyte analysis...
- Absence of telomere shortening and oxidative DNA damage in the young adult offspring of women with pre-gestational type 1 diabetesJ A Cross
Institute of Food Research, Norwich, UK
Diabetologia 52:226-34. 2009..The aim of the present study was to test the hypothesis that fetal chromosomal telomere oxidative DNA damage resulting from maternal PGDM programmes the offspring towards a senescent phenotype that is detectable in young adulthood...
- Low-dose supplementation with lycopene or beta-carotene does not enhance cell-mediated immunity in healthy free-living elderly humansB M Corridan
Nutritional Sciences, Department of Food Science and Technology, University College, Cork, Ireland
Eur J Clin Nutr 55:627-35. 2001....