Affiliation: Imperial College
- ..The field of exposomics merges different disciplines, notably biology and mathematics, but also the evolutionary theory, and can possibly lead to interesting breakthroughs in the next years. ..
- Vineis P. From John Snow to omics: the long journey of environmental epidemiology. Eur J Epidemiol. 2018;33:355-363 pubmed publisher..On the other side, we need to focus on the social and societal determinants which are suggested to be the root causes of many non-communicable diseases. ..
- Kelly R, Roulland S, Morgado E, Sungalee S, Jouve N, Tumino R, et al. Determinants of the t(14;18) translocation and their role in t(14;18)-positive follicular lymphoma. Cancer Causes Control. 2015;26:1845-55 pubmed publisher..The observation that the etiology of FL may differ by t(14;18) status, particularly with regard to height, supports the subdivision of FL by translocation status. ..
- Vineis P, Ahsan H, Parker M. Genetic screening and occupational and environmental exposures. Occup Environ Med. 2005;62:657-62, 597 pubmed
- Mostafavi N, Vlaanderen J, Chadeau Hyam M, Beelen R, Modig L, Palli D, et al. Inflammatory markers in relation to long-term air pollution. Environ Int. 2015;81:1-7 pubmed publisher..Effects were stronger in Italy than in Sweden, potentially reflecting the difference in air pollution levels between the two cohorts. ..
- Britton J, Khan A, Rohrmann S, Becker N, Linseisen J, Nieters A, et al. Anthropometric characteristics and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and multiple myeloma risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). Haematologica. 2008;93:1666-77 pubmed publisher..This is one of the first prospective studies focusing on central adiposity and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma subtypes. ..
- Romaguera D, Ward H, Wark P, Vergnaud A, Peeters P, van Gils C, et al. Pre-diagnostic concordance with the WCRF/AICR guidelines and survival in European colorectal cancer patients: a cohort study. BMC Med. 2015;13:107 pubmed publisher..Greater concordance with the WCRF/AICR recommendations on diet, physical activity, and body fatness prior to CRC diagnosis is associated with improved survival among CRC patients. ..
- Vineis P, Berwick M. The population dynamics of cancer: a Darwinian perspective. Int J Epidemiol. 2006;35:1151-9 pubmed
- Fisher B, Cartwright A, Quirke A, de Pablo P, Romaguera D, Panico S, et al. Smoking, Porphyromonas gingivalis and the immune response to citrullinated autoantigens before the clinical onset of rheumatoid arthritis in a Southern European nested case-control study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2015;16:331 pubmed publisher..In this cohort, P.gingivalis is not associated with pre-RA autoimmunity or risk of RA in an early phase before disease-onset. Antibodies to PPAD peptides are not an early feature of ACPA ontogeny. ..
- Vineis P, Chadeau Hyam M, Gmuender H, Gulliver J, Herceg Z, Kleinjans J, et al. The exposome in practice: Design of the EXPOsOMICS project. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2017;220:142-151 pubmed publisher..The linkage with disease risks opens the way to what are defined here as 'exposome-wide association studies' (EWAS). ..
- Vineis P, Chatziioannou A, Cunliffe V, Flanagan J, Hanson M, Kirsch Volders M, et al. Epigenetic memory in response to environmental stressors. FASEB J. 2017;31:2241-2251 pubmed publisher..Vineis, P., Chatziioannou, A., Cunliffe, V. T., Flanagan, J. M., Hanson, M., Kirsch-Volders, M., Kyrtopoulos, S. Epigenetic memory in response to environmental stressors. ..
- Georgiadis P, Liampa I, Hebels D, Krauskopf J, Chatziioannou A, Valavanis I, et al. Evolving DNA methylation and gene expression markers of B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia are present in pre-diagnostic blood samples more than 10Â years prior to diagnosis. BMC Genomics. 2017;18:728 pubmed publisher
- Demetriou C, Hadjisavvas A, Loizidou M, Loucaides G, Neophytou I, Sieri S, et al. The mediterranean dietary pattern and breast cancer risk in Greek-Cypriot women: a case-control study. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:113 pubmed publisher..This study is the first investigation of dietary effects on breast cancer risk in Cyprus, a country whose population has traditionally adhered to the Mediterranean diet. ..
- Vineis P, Wild C. Global cancer patterns: causes and prevention. Lancet. 2014;383:549-57 pubmed publisher..Primary prevention must therefore be prioritised as an integral part of global cancer control. ..
- Fiorito G, Polidoro S, Dugué P, Kivimaki M, Ponzi E, Matullo G, et al. Social adversity and epigenetic aging: a multi-cohort study on socioeconomic differences in peripheral blood DNA methylation. Sci Rep. 2017;7:16266 pubmed publisher..Socioeconomic adversity is associated with accelerated epigenetic aging, implicating biomolecular mechanisms that may link SES to age-related diseases and longevity. ..
- Vineis P, Veglia F, Garte S, Malaveille C, Matullo G, Dunning A, et al. Genetic susceptibility according to three metabolic pathways in cancers of the lung and bladder and in myeloid leukemias in nonsmokers. Ann Oncol. 2007;18:1230-42 pubmed..63-15.4) for those having three or more variant alleles. The association was considerably stronger for leukemias arising before the age of 55. ..
- Vineis P, Husgafvel Pursiainen K. Air pollution and cancer: biomarker studies in human populations. Carcinogenesis. 2005;26:1846-55 pubmed