Affiliation: Imperial College
- Human mesenchymal stem cells induce T cell anergy and downregulate T cell allo-responses via the TH2 pathway: relevance to tissue engineering human heart valvesPuspa Batten
Heart Science Centre, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London at Harefield Hospital, Harefield, Middlesex, United Kingdom
Tissue Eng 12:2263-73. 2006..This implies that allogeneic MSCs could be a suitable cell source for tissue engineering a heart valve...
- Immune response to stem cells and strategies to induce tolerancePuspa Batten
Tissue Engineering Group, Heart Science Centre, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, Harefield Hospital, Harefield, Middlesex UB9 6JH, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 362:1343-56. 2007..The ultimate goal is to produce 'off-the-shelf' cells and tissues capable of inducing specific immune tolerance...
- Characterization of structural and signaling molecules by human valve interstitial cells and comparison to human mesenchymal stem cellsNajma Latif
Imperial College, National Heart and Lung Institute, Heart Science Centre, Harefield Hospital, Harefield, Middlesex UB9 6JH, UK
J Heart Valve Dis 16:56-66. 2007..A comprehensive, phenotypic analysis of MSCs and, for the latter, their comparison with valve interstitial cells (ICs) is therefore essential...
- Collagen synthesis by mesenchymal stem cells and aortic valve interstitial cells in response to mechanical stretchChing Hsin Ku
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Heart Science Centre, Harefield Hospital, NHLI, Imperial College London, UK
Cardiovasc Res 71:548-56. 2006..We have examined and compared the capacity of mesenchymal stem cells to synthesise collagen in response to stretch in comparison with native aortic valve interstitial cells...
- Magnetic resonance imaging of ferumoxide-labeled mesenchymal stem cells seeded on collagen scaffolds-relevance to tissue engineeringJohn V Terrovitis
Heart Science Centre, Harefield Hospital, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
Tissue Eng 12:2765-75. 2006..Ferumoxide labeling of human MSCs seeded on collagen scaffolds is an effective, non-toxic technique for visualization of these cells using MRI. This technique appears promising for cell tracking in future tissue-engineering applications...
- The cardiac valve interstitial cellPatricia M Taylor
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, National Heart and Lung Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine at Harefield Hospital, Heart Science Centre, Middlesex, Harefield, UB9 6JH, UK
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 35:113-8. 2003..In this respect, these cells exhibit a profile unlike skin fibroblasts, which may allude to their role in valve function...
- Loss of ecto-5'nucleotidase from porcine endothelial cells after exposure to human blood: Implications for xenotransplantationZain Khalpey
Heart Science Centre, Imperial College at Harefield Hospital, Middlesex UB9 6JH, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1741:191-8. 2005..This effect is triggered by human humoral immune responses, and complement contributes but does not fully mediate E5'N depletion...