Maria Gloria Basanez
Affiliation: Imperial College
- Basanez M, Marshall C, CARABIN H, Gyorkos T, Joseph L. Bayesian statistics for parasitologists. Trends Parasitol. 2004;20:85-91 pubmed..We advocate collaboration between parasitologists and Bayesian statisticians as a fruitful and rewarding venture for advancing applied research in parasite epidemiology and the control of parasitic infections. ..
- Botto C, BasaÃ±ez M, Escalona M, Villamizar N, Noya AlarcÃ³n O, Cortez J, et al. Evidence of suppression of onchocerciasis transmission in the Venezuelan Amazonian focus. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:40 pubmed publisher..We conclude that onchocerciasis transmission could be feasibly interrupted in the Venezuelan Amazonian focus. ..
- Walker M, Mabud T, Olliaro P, Coulibaly J, King C, Raso G, et al. New approaches to measuring anthelminthic drug efficacy: parasitological responses of childhood schistosome infections to treatment with praziquantel. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:41 pubmed publisher..We discuss the future application of statistical modelling approaches for monitoring and evaluation of PCT programmes targeting human helminthiases in the context of the WHO 2020 control and elimination goals. ..
- CucunubÃ¡ Z, Okuwoga O, BasÃ¡Ã±ez M, Nouvellet P. Increased mortality attributed to Chagas disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:42 pubmed publisher..Publication bias was not statistically significant (Egger's test p=0.08). The results indicate a statistically significant excess of mortality due to Chagas disease that is shared among both symptomatic and asymptomatic populations. ..
- Winskill P, Harrison W, French M, Dixon M, Abela Ridder B, Basanez M. Assessing the impact of intervention strategies against Taenia solium cysticercosis using the EPICYST transmission model. Parasit Vectors. 2017;10:73 pubmed publisher..Together with its validation against field data, EPICYST will be a valuable tool to help reach the WHO goals and to conduct economic evaluations of interventions in varying epidemiological settings. ..
- Koukounari A, Toure S, Donnelly C, Ouedraogo A, Yoda B, Ky C, et al. Integrated monitoring and evaluation and environmental risk factors for urogenital schistosomiasis and active trachoma in Burkina Faso before preventative chemotherapy using sentinel sites. BMC Infect Dis. 2011;11:191 pubmed publisher..More research is needed to confirm if these findings can be generalized to West Africa and beyond. ..
- Basanez M, Pion S, Boakes E, Filipe J, Churcher T, Boussinesq M. Effect of single-dose ivermectin on Onchocerca volvulus: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2008;8:310-22 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a baseline microfilarial skin repopulation curve against which to compare studies done after long-term treatment...
- Lamberton P, Cheke R, Walker M, Winskill P, Crainey J, Boakye D, et al. Onchocerciasis transmission in Ghana: the human blood index of sibling species of the Simulium damnosum complex. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:432 pubmed publisher..There was no evidence that HBI is vector and/or host density dependent. Transmission breakpoints will vary among locations due to differing cytospecies compositions and vector abundances. ..
- Basanez M, Razali K, Renz A, Kelly D. Density-dependent host choice by disease vectors: epidemiological implications of the ideal free distribution. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2007;101:256-69 pubmed..Density dependence in the contact rate of infectious diseases transmitted by insects may be an important non-linear process with implications for their epidemiology and control...
- Basanez M, Pion S, Churcher T, Breitling L, Little M, Boussinesq M. River blindness: a success story under threat?. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e371 pubmed