Shamez N Ladhani
Affiliation: Health Protection Agency
- Immunoglobulin deficiency in children with Hib vaccine failureShamez Ladhani
Health Protection Agency Colindale, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5EQ, UK
Vaccine 29:9137-40. 2011..A proportion of children with Hib vaccine failure, especially where it occurs at a young age, appear to have a maturational delay in development of normal immunoglobulin concentrations...
- Impact of the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on invasive pneumococcal disease in infants younger than 90 days in England and walesShamez N Ladhani
Health Protection Services Colindale, Health Protection Agency, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, United Kingdom
Clin Infect Dis 56:633-40. 2013....
- Invasive pneumococcal disease after routine pneumococcal conjugate vaccination in children, England and WalesShamez N Ladhani
Immunisation Department, Health Protection Agency Colindale, London, UK
Emerg Infect Dis 19:61-8. 2013..4% (58/1,332) but higher for meningitis (11.0%) and children with comorbidities (9.1%). Thus, comorbidities were more prevalent in children with IPD caused by non-PCV13 serotypes and were associated with increased case fatality...
- Invasive meningococcal disease in England and Wales: implications for the introduction of new vaccinesShamez N Ladhani
Health Protection Agency Colindale, Immunisation Department, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5EQ, United Kingdom
Vaccine 30:3710-6. 2012....
- Invasive Haemophilus influenzae serotype e and f disease, England and WalesShamez N Ladhani
Health Protection Agency, London, UK
Emerg Infect Dis 18:725-32. 2012..Multilocus sequence typing revealed a single major circulating clone for both Hif (sequence type 124; 89/99 isolates, 90%) and Hie (sequence type 18; 21/33, 64%), but no association between type and clinical disease or outcome was found...
- Invasive meningococcal capsular group Y disease, England and Wales, 2007-2009Shamez N Ladhani
Department, Health Protection Agency Colindale, 61 Colindale Ave, London NW9 5EQ, UK
Emerg Infect Dis 18:63-70. 2012..The increase in MenY disease requires careful epidemiologic and molecular monitoring...
- Changes in ascertainment of Hib and its influence on the estimation of disease incidence in the United KingdomS Ladhani
Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, UK
Epidemiol Infect 135:861-7. 2007..Continued high-quality surveillance is needed in order to accurately monitor and detect changes in disease incidence...
- The impact of Haemophilus influenzae serotype B resurgence on the epidemiology of childhood invasive Haemophilus influenzae disease in England and WalesShamez N Ladhani
Immunisation Department, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, England
Pediatr Infect Dis J 30:893-5. 2011..26/100,000), rising to 1.8/100,000 in 2002 before falling to 0.27/100,000 in 2008. During this period, nontype b H. influenzae disease remained stable, but there was a small year-on-year increase (3.4%/y; 95% CI: 1.4-5.5%) in incidence...
- Association between single-nucleotide polymorphisms in Mal/TIRAP and interleukin-10 genes and susceptibility to invasive haemophilus influenzae serotype b infection in immunized childrenShamez N Ladhani
Academic Unit of Paediatrics, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, United Kingdom
Clin Infect Dis 51:761-7. 2010..The objective of this study was to investigate single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) known to affect function in biologically plausible genes in relation to the risk of Hib vaccine failure and its clinical manifestations...
- Continuing impact of infectious diseases on childhood deaths in England and Wales, 2003-2005Shamez Ladhani
Immunisation Department, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, United Kingdom
Pediatr Infect Dis J 29:310-3. 2010..Data on the contribution of specific infections to childhood deaths in developed countries are limited...
- Invasive Haemophilus influenzae Disease, Europe, 1996-2006Shamez Ladhani
Health Protection Agency, London, UK
Emerg Infect Dis 16:455-63. 2010..Thus, the incidence of invasive non-type b H. influenzae is now higher than that of Hib and is associated with higher case fatality...
- Haemophilus influenzae serotype b conjugate vaccine failure in twelve countries with established national childhood immunization programmesS Ladhani
Immunisation Department, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:948-54. 2010..Children with Hib vaccine failure should have immunoglobulin and convalescent Hib antibody concentrations measured after infection and receive additional vaccination, if required...
- Recommendations for the prevention of secondary Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) diseaseShamez Ladhani
Immunisation Department, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5EQ, UK
J Infect 58:3-14. 2009..Families of children attending the same pre-school or primary school as an index case should be advised to seek medical advice if their child becomes unwell...
- Changes in antibiotic resistance rates of invasive Haemophilus influenzae isolates in England and Wales over the last 20 yearsShamez Ladhani
Immunisation Department, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5EQ, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:776-9. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine trends in antibiotic resistance profiles of invasive clinical Haemophilus influenzae isolates over the last 20 years...
- Long-term immunological follow-up of children with haemophilus influenzae serotype b vaccine failure in the United KingdomShamez Ladhani
Academic Unit of Paediatrics, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, St George s, University of London, London, United Kingdom
Clin Infect Dis 49:372-80. 2009..The objective of this study was to determine Hib antibody concentrations in children several years after infection and to identify risk factors for low antibody concentrations...
- Risk of invasive Haemophilus influenzae infection during pregnancy and association with adverse fetal outcomesSarah Collins
Immunisation, Hepatitis, and Blood Safety Department, Public Health England, London, England
JAMA 311:1125-32. 2014..A number of studies have reported an increased incidence in neonates and suggested that pregnant women may have an increased susceptibility to invasive unencapsulated H. influenzae disease...
- Very low rates of culture-confirmed invasive bacterial infections in a prospective 3-year population-based surveillance in Southwest LondonKirsty Le Doaré
Paediatric Infectious Diseases Research Group, St George s Hospital, London, UK Wellcome Trust Imperial Centre for Global Health Research, Imperial College, London, UK
Arch Dis Child 99:526-31. 2014..To estimate the incidence, clinical characteristics and risk factors for culture-confirmed invasive bacterial infections in England...
- Changes in molecular epidemiology of streptococcus pneumoniae causing meningitis following introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccination in England and WalesBruno Pichon
Respiratory and Systemic Infection Laboratory, Health Protection Agency, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 51:820-7. 2013....
- Trends in bacterial, mycobacterial, and fungal meningitis in England and Wales 2004-11: an observational studyIfeanichukwu O Okike
Paediatric Infectious Diseases Research Group and Vaccine Institute, St George s, University of London, London, UK Immunisation Department, Public Health England, London, UK
Lancet Infect Dis 14:301-7. 2014..Our aim was to do such a study using routinely reported data available in England and Wales...
- Pneumococcal carriage in children and adults two years after introduction of the thirteen valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in EnglandAlbert Jan van Hoek
Immunisation, Hepatitis and Blood Safety Department, Public Health England, London NW9 5EQ, England, United Kingdom Electronic address
Vaccine 32:4349-55. 2014..In April 2010 the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) was replaced by the 13-valent PCV. We investigated pneumococcal carriage in children eligible for PCV7 or PCV13 and their household contacts...
- The burden of nonencapsulated Haemophilus influenzae in children and potential for preventionDespoina Gkentzi
St George s University of London, Cranmer Terrace, London, UK
Curr Opin Infect Dis 25:266-72. 2012..influenzae infections across all age groups and is associated with higher case fatality. A pneumococcal conjugate vaccine has recently been licensed, which may potentially also protect against invasive H. influenzae infections...
- Two decades of experience with the Haemophilus influenzae serotype b conjugate vaccine in the United KingdomShamez N Ladhani
St George s University of London, London, United Kingdom
Clin Ther 34:385-99. 2012....
- Antibody Responses After Primary Immunization in Infants Born to Women Receiving a Pertussis-containing Vaccine During Pregnancy: Single Arm Observational Study With a Historical ComparatorShamez N Ladhani
Immunisation, Hepatitis and Blood Safety Department, Public Health England Paediatric Infectious Diseases Research Group, Institute for Infection and Immunity, St George s, University of London
Clin Infect Dis 61:1637-44. 2015..We assessed infant responses to antigens in the maternal vaccine and to those conjugated to tetanus (TT) or the diphtheria toxin variant, CRM...
- Fall in Haemophilus influenzae serotype b (Hib) disease following implementation of a booster campaignS Ladhani
Immunisation Department, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, 61 Colindale Avenue, London, UK
Arch Dis Child 93:665-9. 2008....
- Invasive meningococcal disease in England: assessing disease burden through linkage of multiple national data sourcesShamez N Ladhani
Immunisation, Hepatitis and Blood Safety Department, Public Health England, 61 Colindale Avenue, London, NW9 5EQ, UK
BMC Infect Dis 15:551. 2015..In England, Public Health England conducts enhanced surveillance of invasive meningococcal disease (IMD). The continuing decline in reported IMD cases has raised concerns that the MRU may be underestimating true IMD incidence...
- The introduction of the meningococcal B (MenB) vaccine (Bexsero(®)) into the national infant immunisation programme - New challenges for public healthShamez N Ladhani
Public Health England, Immunisation Department, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5EQ, United Kingdom Electronic address
J Infect 71:611-4. 2015....
- Rapid Declines in Age Group-Specific Rotavirus Infection and Acute Gastroenteritis Among Vaccinated and Unvaccinated Individuals Within 1 Year of Rotavirus Vaccine Introduction in England and WalesChristina J Atchison
Immunisation, Hepatitis, and Blood Safety Department Department of Primary Care and Public Health, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 213:243-9. 2016..We estimated the impact on laboratory-confirmed rotavirus infections and hospitalizations for all-cause acute gastroenteritis (AGE) during the first year after introduction...
- Targeted empiric antibiotic therapy for children with non-oncological comorbidities and community-onset invasive bacterial infectionsRosy Wells
Paediatric Infectious Diseases Research Group, St George s Hospital, Blackshaw Road, London, SW17 0QT, UK
J Infect 71:294-301. 2015....
- Enter B and W: two new meningococcal vaccine programmes launchedShamez N Ladhani
Immunisation Department, Public Health England, London, UK
Arch Dis Child 101:91-5. 2016..meningitidis, in addition to maintaining control against MenC disease provided by the current adolescent programme. 2. ..
- Validity of a reported history of chickenpox in targeting varicella vaccination at susceptible adolescents in EnglandNigel Field
Immunisation, Hepatitis and Blood Safety Department, Health Protection Services, Health Protection Agency, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5EQ, United Kingdom 1 Research Department of Infection and Population Health, University College London, Mortimer Market Centre, off Capper Street, London WC1E 6JB, United Kingdom Electronic address
Vaccine 32:1213-7. 2014..To inform this approach, we estimated the proportion of adolescents with varicella antibodies by reported chickenpox history...
- Serotype-specific effectiveness and correlates of protection for the 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine: a postlicensure indirect cohort studyNick J Andrews
Statistics, Modelling, and Economics Department, Health Protection Services, Public Health England, London, UK
Lancet Infect Dis 14:839-46. 2014..We did a postlicensure assessment of serotype-specific vaccine effectiveness and immunogenicity in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland to derive the correlates of protection for individual serotypes...
- Preventing secondary cases of invasive meningococcal capsular group B (MenB) disease using a recently-licensed, multi-component, protein-based vaccine (Bexsero(®))Shamez N Ladhani
Immunisation Department, Public Health England, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5EQ, United Kingdom Paediatric Infectious Diseases Research Group, St George s University of London, Cranmer Terrace, London SW17 0RE, United Kingdom Electronic address
J Infect 69:470-80. 2014..To assess the potential use of a protein-based meningococcal group B (MenB) vaccine (Bexsero(®)) in addition to antibiotic chemoprophylaxis for preventing secondary cases...
- Trends in paediatric nosocomial bacteraemia in a London tertiary hospitalAndrés Pérerz Lopéz
Paediatric Infectious Disease Research Group, St George s Hospital NHS Trust, London, UK
Acta Paediatr 102:1005-9. 2013..To describe the incidence and microbiological characteristics of nosocomial bloodstream infections in childhood over a 9-year period at a South London tertiary hospital...
- Incidence of pneumococcal and varicella disease in HIV-infected children and adolescents in the United Kingdom and Ireland, 1996-2011Helen Payne
From the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Unit, St Georges Healthcare NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Unit at UCL, London, United Kingdom Clinical Sciences and Vaccine Institute, St Georges, University of London, London, United Kingdom and Public Health England, Colindale, London, United Kingdom
Pediatr Infect Dis J 34:149-54. 2015..To define the burden of hospitalization due to 2 vaccine-preventable infections, invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) and varicella zoster (VZ), among HIV-infected children in the UK and Ireland...
- Invasive bacterial and fungal infections in paediatric patients with cancer: incidence, risk factors, aetiology and outcomes in a UK regional cohort 2009-2011Elizabeth A Calton
Paediatric Infectious Diseases Group, St George s University of London, London, UK
Pediatr Blood Cancer 61:1239-45. 2014..This study aimed to estimate the risk, aetiology and outcome of bloodstream bacterial and fungal infections in children with cancer within a geographically defined region in South-West London over a 3-year period...
- Septicaemia due to glucose non-fermenting, gram-negative bacilli other than Pseudomonas aeruginosa in childrenS Ladhani
Departments of Paediatrics and Microbiology, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Acta Paediatr 91:303-6. 2002..Six patients were successfully treated with antibiotics alone. Four others received antibiotics, but also required line removal, and two patients responded to line removal without the need for antibiotics...
- Evaluation and validation of a serum bactericidal antibody assay for Haemophilus influenzae type b and the threshold of protectionKelly Townsend
Vaccine Evaluation Unit, Public Health England, Clinical Sciences Building, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Vaccine 32:5650-6. 2014..Thus, the optimised Hib SBA assay was specific and reproducible and correlated with anti-PRP IgG. Such assays may have a role in evaluating immune responses to conjugate vaccines in addition to measuring capsular antibodies. ..
- Female genital mutilation: analysis of the first twelve months of a Southeast London specialist clinicC Momoh
Guy's and St.Thomas's Hospital, UMDS, London, UK
BJOG 108:186-91. 2001..Doctors and midwives in particular, should enquire specifically about genital mutilation when caring for women from high risk countries, and offer the services of specialist clinics for female genital mutilation...
- No evidence for Haemophilus influenzae serotype replacement in Europe after introduction of the Hib conjugate vaccineShamez Ladhani
Lancet Infect Dis 8:275-6. 2008
- Changes in laboratory features of 192 children with imported falciparum malaria treated with quinineShamez Ladhani
Department of Pediatrics, Newham General Hospital, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, East London, United Kingdom
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:1017-20. 2005..Thus most children presented with abnormal laboratory values, which initially worsened in a significant proportion, but none required active intervention once therapy was initiated...
- Staphylococcal skin infections in children: rational drug therapy recommendationsShamez Ladhani
Department of Paediatrics, Newham General Hospital, London, UK
Paediatr Drugs 7:77-102. 2005..While the choice of antibacterial is important, supportive management, including removal of any infected foreign bodies, surgical drainage of walled-off lesions, and regular wound cleaning, play a vital role in ensuring cure...
- Childhood malaria in East LondonShamez Ladhani
Department of Pediatrics, Newham General Hospital, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:814-9. 2003..To describe the epidemiologic, clinical and laboratory features of children younger than 16 years with malaria in East London...