Ben S Cooper
Affiliation: Health Protection Agency
- The analysis of hospital infection data using hidden Markov modelsBen Cooper
Department of Epidemiology, Kresge Building, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Biostatistics 5:223-37. 2004..Compared to the standard hidden Markov model, the new approach is more parsimonious, is more biologically plausible, and allows key epidemiological parameters to be estimated...
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in hospitals and the community: stealth dynamics and control catastrophesB S Cooper
Department of Medical Microbiology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, University of London, WC1E 7HU, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:10223-8. 2004..If resources do not scale with MRSA prevalence, isolation policies can fail "catastrophically."..
- An augmented data method for the analysis of nosocomial infection dataBen S Cooper
Statistics, Modelling and Bioinformatics Department, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, United Kingdom
Am J Epidemiol 168:548-57. 2008..The method is applied to illustrative data from an interrupted time-series study of vancomycin-resistant enterococci transmission in a hematology ward...
- Transmission of SARS in three Chinese hospitalsBen S Cooper
Health Protection Agency, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 14:71-8. 2009..To quantify the transmissibility of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in hospitals in mainland China and to assess the effectiveness of control measures...
- Confronting models with dataBen S Cooper
Statistics, Modelling and Bioinformatics Department, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, UK
J Hosp Infect 65:88-92. 2007..These tools should allow us to address questions that would have been impossible to answer using previous analytical techniques...
- Delaying the international spread of pandemic influenzaBen S Cooper
Statistics, Modelling, and Bioinformatics Department, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 3:e212. 2006..Moreover, the large increases that have occurred in international air travel might be expected to lead to more rapid global dissemination than in previous pandemics...
- Poxy models and rash decisionsBen Cooper
Statistics, Modelling, and Bioinformatics Department, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London NW9 5EQ, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:12221-2. 2006
- Introducing the ORION Statement, a CONSORT equivalent for infection control studiesB S Cooper
Health Protection Agency, Colindale, UK
J Hosp Infect 65:85-7. 2007
- Screening, isolation, and decolonisation strategies in the control of meticillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus in intensive care units: cost effectiveness evaluationJulie V Robotham
Modelling and Economics, Health Protection Agency, London NW9 5EQ, UK
BMJ 343:d5694. 2011..To assess the cost effectiveness of screening, isolation, and decolonisation strategies in the control of meticillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in intensive care units...
- The Feedback Intervention Trial (FIT)--improving hand-hygiene compliance in UK healthcare workers: a stepped wedge cluster randomised controlled trialChristopher Fuller
Royal Free Campus, University College London Medical School, University College, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e41617. 2012..There is no RCT evidence showing how to do this. Systematic reviews suggest feedback is most effective and call for long term well designed RCTs, applying behavioural theory to intervention design to optimise effectiveness...
- The ORION statement: guidelines for transparent reporting of outbreak reports and intervention studies of nosocomial infectionSheldon P Stone
Academic Department of Geriatric Medicine, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
Lancet Infect Dis 7:282-8. 2007..Journals and research councils are strongly recommended to incorporate it into their submission and reviewing processes. Feedback to the authors is encouraged and the statement will be revised in 2 years...
- Efficacy and limitation of a chlorhexidine-based decolonization strategy in preventing transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in an intensive care unitRahul Batra
Directorate of Infection, Guy s and St Thomas National Health Service Foundation Trust, London, UK
Clin Infect Dis 50:210-7. 2010..We report on the effect of an antiseptic protocol on acquisition of both endemic MRSA and an outbreak strain of MRSA sequence type 239 (designated TW)...
- Laboratory and in-use assessment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus contamination of ergonomic computer keyboards for ward useA Peter R Wilson
Department of Microbiology, University College London Hospitals, London, UK
Am J Infect Control 36:e19-25. 2008..An ideal computer keyboard for clinical use would be easily cleanable and cleaned by staff, meet acceptable levels of usability, and not attract hospital bacteria...
- Transmission dynamics and control of severe acute respiratory syndromeMarc Lipsitch
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 300:1966-70. 2003..Public-health efforts to reduce transmission are expected to have a substantial impact on reducing the size of the epidemic...