Martin J Shearer
Affiliation: Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- Vitamin K deficiency bleeding (VKDB) in early infancyMartin J Shearer
The Centre for Haemostasis and Thrombosis, St Thomas Hospital, Westminster Bridge Road, London, UK
Blood Rev 23:49-59. 2009..Targeted surveillance of high-risk groups (e.g. biliary atresia) offers a novel approach to assess efficacy of prophylaxis...
- Metabolism and cell biology of vitamin KMartin J Shearer
Centre for Haemostasis and Thrombosis, St Thomas Hospital, Westminster Bridge Road, London, UK
Thromb Haemost 100:530-47. 2008..In humans, MK-7 has a greater efficacy than phylloquinone in carboxylating both liver and bone Gla proteins. A daily supplement of phylloquinone has shown potential for improving anticoagulation control...
- Vitamin K nutrition, metabolism, and requirements: current concepts and future researchMartin J Shearer
Haemostasis Research Unit, Centre for Haemostasis and Thrombosis, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Adv Nutr 3:182-95. 2012..In contrast, there is still a lack of suitable biomarkers or clinical endpoints that can be used to determine vitamin K requirements among adults...
- Vitamin K in parenteral nutritionMartin J Shearer
Centre for Haemostasis and Thrombosis, St Thomas Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Gastroenterology 137:S105-18. 2009..Natural forms of vitamin K have no proven toxicity...
- Erythrocyte folate and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate levels decline during 6 months of oral anticoagulation with warfarinAgata Sobczyńska-Malefora
Centre for Haemostasis and Thrombosis, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 20:297-302. 2009..The majority of patients had intakes of folate and phylloquinone below the national average or UK guidelines. The study highlights the need for improved dietary management of patients taking oral anticoagulants...
- Excretion of the urinary 5C- and 7C-aglycone metabolites of vitamin K by young adults responds to changes in dietary phylloquinone and dihydrophylloquinone intakesDominic J Harrington
The Centre for Haemostasis and Thrombosis, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, UK
J Nutr 137:1763-8. 2007..699, P < 0.001). We conclude that the urinary excretion of vitamin K metabolites reflects dietary phylloquinone intake and offers the first candidate marker of global vitamin K status...
- Pharmacokinetics and efficacy of oral versus intravenous mixed-micellar phylloquinone (vitamin K1) in severe acute liver diseaseStephen P Pereira
Institute of Liver Studies, King s College Hospital, London, UK
J Hepatol 42:365-70. 2005..However, there have been no studies of the pharmacokinetics or efficacy of i.v. or oral K1 in such patients...
- The external quality assurance of phylloquinone (vitamin K(1)) analysis in human serumDavid J Card
The Centre for Haemostasis and Thrombosis Nutristasis Unit, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Biomed Chromatogr 23:1276-82. 2009..The high proportion of false positive results suggest that poor assay specificity at low phylloquinone concentrations is a common problem, which in the clinical setting could lead to underreporting of vitamin K deficiency...
- The role of dietary vitamin K in the management of oral vitamin K antagonistsMichael V Holmes
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Blood Rev 26:1-14. 2012....
- Urinary excretion of vitamin K metabolites in term and preterm infants: relationship to vitamin K status and prophylaxisDominic Jon Harrington
The Nutristasis Unit, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, United Kingdom
Pediatr Res 68:508-12. 2010..Measurement of the 5C- and 7C-aglycones may facilitate longitudinal studies of vitamin K status in neonates and aid the development of improved prophylactic regimens...
- Determination of the urinary aglycone metabolites of vitamin K by HPLC with redox-mode electrochemical detectionDominic J Harrington
Centre for Haemostasis and Thrombosis, The Haemophilia Reference Centre, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
J Lipid Res 46:1053-60. 2005..We propose that the measurement of urinary vitamin K metabolite excretion is a candidate noninvasive marker of total vitamin K status...
- Hyperhomocysteinemia and B-vitamin status after discontinuation of oral anticoagulation therapy in patients with a history of venous thromboembolismAgata Sobczyńska-Malefora
The Haemophilia Reference Centre, Centre for Thrombosis and Haemostasis, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Clin Chem Lab Med 41:1493-7. 2003..On the basis of this study we suggest that homocysteine screening should be carried out at the time that patients begin warfarin therapy...
- Pharmacodynamic resistance to warfarin associated with a Val66Met substitution in vitamin K epoxide reductase complex subunit 1Dominic J Harrington
The Centre for Haemostasis and Thrombosis, St Thomas Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Thromb Haemost 93:23-6. 2005....
- The uptake of lipoprotein-borne phylloquinone (vitamin K1) by osteoblasts and osteoblast-like cells: role of heparan sulfate proteoglycans and apolipoprotein EPaul Newman
The Haemophilia Centre, St Thomas s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Bone Miner Res 17:426-33. 2002..The inhibition by heparin of lipoprotein-mediated carriage of vitamin K and possibly other lipids to bone may provide a basis for the future understanding of heparin-induced osteoporosis...