Affiliation: Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- The Transfusion Alternatives Preoperatively in Sickle Cell Disease (TAPS) study: a randomised, controlled, multicentre clinical trialJo Howard
Department of Haematology, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Lancet 381:930-8. 2013..No consensus exists on whether preoperative blood transfusions are beneficial in patients with sickle-cell disease. We assessed whether perioperative complication rates would be altered by preoperative transfusion...
- The obstetric management of sickle cell diseaseJo Howard
Department of Haematology, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, Guy s Hospital, Great Maze Pond, London, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 26:25-36. 2012..There is an increased prevalence of sickle crisis during pregnancy and patients should be monitored carefully throughout this time...
- Pain management and quality of life in sickle cell diseaseJo Howard
Department of Haematology, St Thomas Hospital, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7EH, UK
Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res 9:347-52. 2009..We consider medical and psychological methods of pain management in SCD, drawing on recently published UK Standards of Care, and also consider the effect of SCD on quality of life...
- Myocardial tissue characterization and the role of chronic anemia in sickle cell cardiomyopathyMark A Westwood
Cardiovascular MR Unit, Royal Brompton Hospital and Imperial College, London, UK
J Magn Reson Imaging 26:564-8. 2007....
- Cannabis use in sickle cell disease: a questionnaire studyJo Howard
Department of Haematology, Central Middlesex Hospital, London, UK
Br J Haematol 131:123-8. 2005..We conclude that research in the use of cannabinoids for pain relief in SCD would be both important and acceptable to adult patients...
- Evaluation of the validity of Hb A2 and mean corpuscular haemoglobin action values in antenatal screening for beta thalassaemia carriers in EnglandYvonne Daniel
Red Cell Centre, Special Haematology, Guys and St Thomas Hospital, GSTS Pathology, London, UK
Br J Haematol 166:607-11. 2014..These findings support the continuation of the current action values. ..
- The association between tricuspid regurgitation velocity and 5-year survival in a North West London population of patients with sickle cell disease in the United KingdomInes Zimbarra Cabrita
National Heart and Lung Institute, Hammersmith Campus, Imperial College London, London, UK
Br J Haematol 162:400-8. 2013..Further prospective studies are needed to more clearly characterize which patient factors modify survival in SCD patients with raised TRV...
- The presence of alpha-thalassaemia trait blunts the response to hydroxycarbamide in patients with sickle cell diseaseNisha Vasavda
Molecular Haematology, Division of Gene and Cell Based Therapy, King s College London School of Medicine, London, UK
Br J Haematol 143:589-92. 2008..We provide data from 30 SCD patients (10 with alpha-thalassaemia) demonstrating that co-existing alpha-thalassaemia significantly affects several standard measures of HC efficacy in SCD...
- Sickle cell/β0-thalassemia associated with the 1393 bp deletion can be associated with a severe phenotypeYvonne Daniel
Blood Sciences, Guy s and St Thomas Pathology, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Hemoglobin 35:406-10. 2011..This deletion cannot be presumed to be associated with a mild disease phenotype and we recommend that patients with Hb S/β(0)-thal are screened for this deletion...
- Moving young people with sickle cell disease from paediatric to adult servicesJo Howard
Department of Haematology, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, London
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 71:310-4. 2010..This article reviews data about transition from paediatric to adult services in patients with sickle cell disease, the most common inherited disease in the UK, and outlines how this has been addressed in a large UK sickle cell centre...