Dean A Fennell
- Advances in the systemic therapy of malignant pleural mesotheliomaDean A Fennell
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queen s University Belfast, 97 Liburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, Northern Ireland, UK
Nat Clin Pract Oncol 5:136-47. 2008..Coupled with high-quality translational research, such developments have real potential to improve the outlook of patients at a time of increasing incidence...
- BRCA1 is an essential mediator of vinorelbine-induced apoptosis in mesotheliomaSara Busacca
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queen s University Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
J Pathol 227:200-8. 2012..9% of samples. Together, these data suggest that BRCA1 plays a critical role in mediating apoptosis by vinorelbine in mesothelioma, warranting its clinical evaluation as a predictive biomarker...
- Ultra-fast processing of gigapixel Tissue MicroArray images using High Performance ComputingYinhai Wang
Centre for Biomedical Informatics, Queen s University Belfast, Health Science Building, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast, BT9 7BL, UK
Cell Oncol (Dordr) 34:495-507. 2011..The digitised TMA slides or TMA Virtual Slides, are ultra-large digital images, and can contain several hundred samples. The processing of such slides is time-consuming, bottlenecking a potentially high throughput platform...
- The deubiquitinating enzyme USP17 is associated with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) recurrence and metastasisCheryl McFarlane
Centre for Infection and Immunity, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Oncotarget 4:1836-43. 2013..Overall, these findings establish USP17 as a potentially valuable novel biomarker for metastatic lung cancer. ..
- Combinatorial use of bone morphogenetic protein 6, noggin and SOST significantly predicts cancer progressionHiu Fung Yuen
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Cancer Sci 103:1145-54. 2012..Our results strongly suggest that BMP6, noggin and SOST could be used in combination as a prognostic indicator in cancer progression...
- PARP inhibition induces BAX/BAK-independent synthetic lethality of BRCA1-deficient non-small cell lung cancerIan Paul
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queen s University Belfast, UK
J Pathol 224:564-74. 2011....
- A TMA de-arraying method for high throughput biomarker discovery in tissue researchYinhai Wang
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e26007. 2011..These factors demand the development of a robust method for de-arraying TMAs which identifies each TMA core, and assigns them to their appropriate coordinates on the constructed TMA slide...
- Response to chemotherapy is predictive in relation to longer overall survival in an individual patient combined-analysis with pleural mesotheliomaJaine K Blayney
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queen s University Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Eur J Cancer 48:2983-92. 2012..We also validate published progression-free survival rates (PFSRs) and a progression-free survival (PFS) prognostic-index model...
- Vorinostat/SAHA-induced apoptosis in malignant mesothelioma is FLIP/caspase 8-dependent and HR23B-independentJane L Hurwitz
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Science, Queen s University Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Eur J Cancer 48:1096-107. 2012..The histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitor Vorinostat (SAHA) is currently being evaluated in relapsed mesothelioma. We examined the roles of FLIP and caspase 8 in regulating SAHA-induced apoptosis in MPM...
- Polyomavirus enhancer activator 3 protein promotes breast cancer metastatic progression through Snail-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transitionHiu Fung Yuen
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queen s University of Belfast, UK
J Pathol 224:78-89. 2011..In conclusion, our results suggest that Pea3 may be an important prognostic marker and a therapeutic target for metastatic progression of human breast cancer...
- Gene expression meta-analysis identifies VDAC1 as a predictor of poor outcome in early stage non-small cell lung cancerClaire Grills
Centre for Biomedical Informatics, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e14635. 2011..To test this hypothesis, we conducted an in vivo gene-expression meta-analysis of surgically resected non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) using 602 individual expression profiles, to examine the impact of VDAC1 on survival...
- Conatumumab (AMG 655) coated nanoparticles for targeted pro-apoptotic drug deliveryFrancois Fay
Molecular Therapeutics, School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, UK
Biomaterials 32:8645-53. 2011..These results demonstrate that antibodies on nanoparticulate surfaces can be exploited for dual modes of action to enhance the therapeutic utility of the modality...
- Ultra-fast processing of gigapixel Tissue MicroArray images using high performance computingYinhai Wang
Centre for Biomedical Informatics, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Anal Cell Pathol (Amst) 33:271-85. 2010..The digitised TMA slides or TMA Virtual Slides, are ultra-large digital images, and can contain several hundred samples. The processing of such slides is time-consuming, bottlenecking a potentially high throughput platform...
- Platinum resistant cancer cells conserve sensitivity to BH3 domains and obatoclax induced mitochondrial apoptosisNyree Crawford
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queen s University Belfast, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Apoptosis 16:311-20. 2011..Conservation of sensitivity to BH3 domain induced apoptosis can be exploited by agents such as obatoclax, which directly target the mitochondria and BCL-2 family...
- New advances in the second-line treatment of small cell lung cancerJane L Hurwitz
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast BT9 7BL, Northern Ireland
Oncologist 14:986-94. 2009..Several Bcl-2 inhibitors, including obatoclax, are currently entering clinical trials in SCLC and are an exciting area of drug development in the relapsed setting...
- Molecular and Immunological approachesDean A Fennell
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queen s University, Belfast City Hospital, Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7AB, Northern Ireland
Lung Cancer 49:S87. 2005
- Caspase regulation in non-small cell lung cancer and its potential for therapeutic exploitationDean A Fennell
Thoracic Oncology Research Group, Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Oncology, Belfast City Hospital, Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7AB, Northern Ireland
Clin Cancer Res 11:2097-105. 2005..This review discusses current knowledge relating to caspase regulation in NSCLC and highlights novel strategies for reversing the apoptosis resistant phenotype, with potential to accelerate development of effective therapy...
- In vivo loss of expression of argininosuccinate synthetase in malignant pleural mesothelioma is a biomarker for susceptibility to arginine depletionPeter W Szlosarek
Cancer Research UK Translational Oncology Laboratory, Barts and The London, UK
Clin Cancer Res 12:7126-31. 2006..In this study, we investigated the expression and biological significance of argininosuccinate synthetase (AS), a rate-limiting enzyme in arginine production...
- Prognostic factors in mesotheliomaJeremy P C Steele
Mesothelioma Unit, Department of Medical Oncology, St Bartholomew s Hospital and Medical College, London EC1A 7BE, UK
Lung Cancer 49:S49-52. 2005..9 months [95% C.I.=8.5-11.3] for those in the worst group. The suggestion is that all clinical and biological factors relevant to prognosis should be recorded prospectively in mesothelioma patients selected for clinical trials...
- Statistical validation of the EORTC prognostic model for malignant pleural mesothelioma based on three consecutive phase II trialsDean A Fennell
Lung Cancer and Mesthelioma Unit, Department of Oncology, and the Institute of Cell and Molecular Science Pathology, St Bartholomew s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 23:184-9. 2005..Our retrospective analysis set out to test the validity of the model as a prognostic tool in patients treated in three phase II trials at St Bartholomew's Hospital (London, United Kingdom) between 1999 and 2003...
- Defective core-apoptosis signalling in diffuse malignant pleural mesothelioma: opportunities for effective drug developmentDean A Fennell
Department of Medical Oncology, Lung Cancer and Mesothelioma Research Group, St Bartholomew s Hospital, West Smithfield, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 5:354-62. 2004..This review discusses recent developments in apoptosis biology that are specific to mesothelioma and the therapeutic implications for this aggressive cancer...
- Efficacy and safety of first- or second-line irinotecan, cisplatin, and mitomycin in mesotheliomaDean A Fennell
Lung and Mesothelioma Unit, Department of Medical Oncology, St Bartholomew s Hospital, West Smithfield, London, UK
Cancer 109:93-9. 2007..Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a rapidly progressive lethal tumor. Treatment options remain limited and the outcome in recurrent disease is poor...
- Bortezomib inhibits nuclear factor-kappaB dependent survival and has potent in vivo activity in mesotheliomaAndrea Sartore-Bianchi
Institute of Internal Medicine and Medical Oncology, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo University Hospital, 1 27100 Pavia corrected Italy
Clin Cancer Res 13:5942-51. 2007..We aimed at verifying whether the proteasome inhibitor Bortezomib could abrogate NF-kappaB activity in MMe cells, leading to tumor cell death and may be established as a novel treatment for this aggressive neoplasm...
- Phase II trial of vinorelbine and oxaliplatin as first-line therapy in malignant pleural mesotheliomaDean A Fennell
Lung and Mesothelioma Unit, Department of Medical Oncology, St Bartholomew s Hospital, West Smithfield, London EC1A 7BE, United Kingdom
Lung Cancer 47:277-81. 2005..Quality of life assessed by Rotterdam symptom checklist was associated with stabilization or improvement of psychological well-being and lung symptoms in the majority of patients, but deterioration in physical symptoms...
- Pulmonary toxicity and cancer treatmentDean A Fennell
Lung Cancer and Mesothelioma Research Group, Department of Medical Oncology, St Bartholomew s Hospital, London
Hosp Med 65:462-5. 2004..This article discusses the mechanisms, common clinical features and risk factors for cytotoxic drug-induced pulmonary toxicity, and outlines general management principles...
- PK11195, a peripheral benzodiazepine receptor ligand, chemosensitizes acute myeloid leukemia cells to relevant therapeutic agents by more than one mechanismDeborah E Banker
Clinical Research Division, FHCRC, D1 100, 1124 Columbia Street, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Leuk Res 26:91-106. 2002..Therefore, PK11195 might contribute to improved clinical outcomes in AML...