Affiliation: Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
- Nonlinearities in source receptor relationships for sulfur and nitrogen compoundsDavid Fowler
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Midlothian, UK
Ambio 34:41-6. 2005....
- The global nitrogen cycle in the twenty-first centuryDavid Fowler
NERC Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Penicuik, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 368:20130164. 2013....
- Changes in the atmospheric deposition of acidifying compounds in the UK between 1986 and 2001D Fowler
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Bush Estate, Penicuik, Midlothian, EH26 0QB, UK
Environ Pollut 137:15-25. 2005..For reduced nitrogen, there has been a small (10%) reduction in emissions and deposition, while for oxidized nitrogen, a substantial reduction in emissions (40%) occurred but wet deposition of nitrate changed by less than 10%...
- A spatial analysis of atmospheric ammonia and ammonium in the U.KM A Sutton
Center for Ecology and Hydrology, Edinburgh Research Station, Bush Estate, Penicuik, UK
ScientificWorldJournal 1:275-86. 2001..The combined approach provides the basis to assess NHx responses across the U.K. to international emission controls...
- Bioindicators of enhanced nitrogen depositionC E R Pitcairn
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Edinburgh, Bush Estate, Penicuik, Midlothian EH26 0QB, UK
Environ Pollut 126:353-61. 2003..Total tissue N and arginine concentrations were most closely linked with ammonia concentrations and N deposition, with r(2) values of >0.97 and >0.78 respectively...
- The influence of nitrogen in stemflow and precipitation on epiphytic bryophytes, Isothecium myosuroides Brid., Dicranum scoparium Hewd. and Thuidium tamariscinum (Hewd.) Schimp of Atlantic oakwoodsI D Leith
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology Edinburgh, Bush Estate, Penicuik, Midlothian, EH26 0QB, UK
Environ Pollut 155:237-46. 2008..This study shows that epiphytic bryophytes utilise stemflow N and thus increase their risk from inputs of total N deposition compared to terricolous species at the same site...
- Stress responses of Calluna vulgaris to reduced and oxidised N applied under 'real world conditions'Lucy J Sheppard
Centre of Ecology and Hydrology, Bush Estate, Penicuik, EH26 0QB, UK
Environ Pollut 154:404-13. 2008..By comparison the Calluna receiving reduced and oxidised N in rain has shown no significant visible or stress related effects with no significant increase in N status...
- Development of a low-cost system for measuring conditional time-averaged gradients of SO2 and NH3D Famulari
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology Edinburgh, Bush Estate, Penicuik, EH26 0QB, Scotland, UK
Environ Monit Assess 161:11-27. 2010..A comparison with a continuous flux gradient system suggested that the removal of stable conditions from the sampling period does not substantially modify the evaluation of the long-term fluxes...
- Potential for ammonia recapture by farm woodlands: design and application of a new experimental facilityM R Theobald
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Edinburgh, UK
ScientificWorldJournal 1:791-801. 2001..Analysis of these data give a lower limit of recapture of emitted ammonia, at the experimental facility, of 3%. By careful design of shelterbelt woodlands this figure could be significantly higher...
- Challenges in quantifying biosphere-atmosphere exchange of nitrogen speciesM A Sutton
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Edinburgh Research Station, Bush Estate, Penicuik, EH26 0QB, UK
Environ Pollut 150:125-39. 2007..Finally, attention is needed to develop N flux verification procedures to assess compliance with international protocols...
- UK emissions of the greenhouse gas nitrous oxideU Skiba
NERC Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Bush Estate, Penicuik, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 367:1175-85. 2012....
- Estimating the reduction of urban PM10 concentrations by trees within an environmental information system for plannersW J Bealey
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Edinburgh, Bush Estate, Penicuik, Midlothian, EH26 0QB, UK
J Environ Manage 85:44-58. 2007..In this way, for any new developments that contribute to the local PM(10) level, the mitigation by planting trees can be assessed, and in some cases, reductions can be sufficient to meet air quality objectives for PM(10)...
- Comparison of low cost measurement techniques for long-term monitoring of atmospheric ammoniaM A Sutton
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology CEH Edinburgh Research Station, Bush Estate, Penicuik, Midlothian, Scotland, UK EH26 0QB
J Environ Monit 3:446-53. 2001..On the basis of the results, method D has been implemented in the national network, together with application of method A to explore spatial variability in regions with expected high NH3 concentrations...
- Comparison of gas exchange and bioassay determinations of the ammonia compensation point in Luzula sylvatica (Huds.) GaudP W Hill
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland DD1 4HN, United Kingdom
Plant Physiol 125:476-87. 2001..sylvatica is sufficiently buffered to eliminate the need for correction of H(+) concentration for dilution during extraction, but that it is necessary to correct the NH(4)(+) concentration of apoplast extracts for dilution...
- Micrometeorological measurements of the urban heat budget and CO2 emissions on a city scaleEiko Nemitz
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
Environ Sci Technol 36:3139-46. 2002..8 MJ m(-2) d(-1), with the remainder coming from other energy sources, dominated by electricity. Conversely, the total energy input in late spring (May/June) was found to be approximately half this value...
- Ecological effects of sulfur dioxide, fluorides, and minor air pollutants: recent trends and research needsJ Neil Cape
Edinburgh Research Station, Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Bush Estate, Penicuik, EH26 0QB, Midlothian, UK
Environ Int 29:201-11. 2003....
- An ozone budget for the UK: using measurements from the national ozone monitoring network; measured and modelled meteorological data, and a 'big-leaf' resistance analogy model of dry depositionM Coyle
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology Edinburgh, Bush Estate, Penicuik, Midlothian EH26 0QB, UK
Environ Pollut 123:115-23. 2003..The final budget shows that for most of the year the UK is a net sink for O(3) (-25 to -800 Gg-O(3) month(-1)) with production only exceeding losses in the photochemically active summer months (+45 Gg-O(3) month(-1))...
- Ammonia emission and deposition in Scotland and its potential environmental impactsM A Sutton
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology Edinburgh Research Station, Bush Estate, Penicuik, Midlothian EH26 0QB, UK
ScientificWorldJournal 4:795-810. 2004....
- Diagnostic indicators of elevated nitrogen depositionCarole Pitcairn
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology Edinburgh, Atmospheric Sciences, Bush Estate, Penicuik, Midlothian EH26 0QB, UK
Environ Pollut 144:941-50. 2006....
- Defining the spatial impacts of poultry farm ammonia emissions on species composition of adjacent woodland groundflora using Ellenberg Nitrogen Index, nitrous oxide and nitric oxide emissions and foliar nitrogen as marker variablesC E R Pitcairn
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Penicuik, Midlothian, UK
Environ Pollut 119:9-21. 2002....
- Monitoring and modelling of biosphere/atmosphere exchange of gases and aerosols in EuropeJan Willem Erisman
Energy Research Centre of The Netherlands ECN, P O Box 1, 1755 ZG Petten, The Netherlands
Environ Pollut 133:403-13. 2005..Progress in ozone surface exchange modelling and monitoring shows that stomatal uptake can be quantified with reasonable accuracy, but external surface uptake yields highest uncertainty...
- Deposition monitoring networks: what monitoring is required to give reasonable estimates of ammonia/ammonium?Jan Willem Erisman
ECN, P O Box 1, 1755 ZG Petten, The Netherlands
Environ Pollut 135:419-31. 2005....
- The application of cognitive-behavioral therapy for psychosis in clinical and research settingsRebecca Rollinson
Psychological Therapies and Primary Care, Norfolk and Waveney Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust, Community Resource Centre, Northgate Hospital, Great Yarmouth NR30 1BU, United Kingdom
Psychiatr Serv 58:1297-302. 2007..This study compared the practice of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) for psychosis across research and routine clinical settings...
- Practical considerations for addressing uncertainties in monitoring bulk depositionUlrich Dämmgen
Institute of Agroecology, Federal Agricultural Research Centre, Bundesallee 50, D 38116 Braunschweig, Germany
Environ Pollut 134:535-48. 2005..The dependence of measurement accuracy on the number of replicates and the sampling area exposed is discussed. Recommendations are given for sampling strategies, and for making corrections and substitution of missing data...
- Virtual reality study of paranoid thinking in the general populationDaniel Freeman
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
Br J Psychiatry 192:258-63. 2008..A fear of others can be instilled by the contemporary political and social climate. Unfounded mistrust is called paranoia, and in severe forms is a central symptom of schizophrenia...
- Evaluation of laser absorption spectroscopic techniques for eddy covariance flux measurements of ammoniaJames D Whitehead
School of Earth, Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, United Kingdom
Environ Sci Technol 42:2041-6. 2008..95 between the QCLAS and the TDLAS; R2 = 0.84 between the QCLAS and the AMANDA) demonstrating the suitability of the laser absorption methods for quantifying the temporal dynamics of ammonia fluxes...
- Implications for neurobiological research of cognitive models of psychosis: a theoretical paperPhilippa A Garety
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
Psychol Med 37:1377-91. 2007....