Affiliation: Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
- Predicting contamination by the fuel additive cerium oxide engineered nanoparticles within the United Kingdom and the associated risksAndrew C Johnson
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Environ Toxicol Chem 31:2582-7. 2012..The highest predicted water concentration of 300 ng/L was associated with water draining from a road surface, assuming a restricted deposition spread. These predictions are well below most toxicological levels of concern...
- An assessment of the fate, behaviour and environmental risk associated with sunscreen TiO₂ nanoparticles in UK field scenariosAndrew C Johnson
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Wallingford OX108BB, United Kingdom
Sci Total Environ 409:2503-10. 2011..Direct exposure to TiO₂ ENPs did not impair the immuno-effectiveness of earthworm coelomocyte cells at concentrations greatly above those predicted for sewage sludge...
- Predicting national exposure to a point source chemical: Japan and endocrine disruption as an exampleAndrew C Johnson
CEH Wallingford, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 8BB, United Kingdom
Environ Sci Technol 45:1028-33. 2011..Simple predictions based on population and flow can give an appropriate "ball park" value for catchments and even nations for concentrations of polar organic contaminants which have a majority human origin...
- The role of microbial community composition and groundwater chemistry in determining isoproturon degradation potential in UK aquifersAndrew Johnson
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology Wallingford, Benson Lane, Wallingford, Oxfordshire OX10 8BB, UK
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 49:71-82. 2004..The data suggested that the nature of the indigenous community does influence pesticide degradation in groundwater, but that the groundwater chemistry may also play a role...
- The British river of the future: how climate change and human activity might affect two contrasting river ecosystems in EnglandAndrew C Johnson
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, OX10 8BB, United Kingdom
Sci Total Environ 407:4787-98. 2009....
- Assessing the concentrations of polar organic microcontaminants from point sources in the aquatic environment: measure or model?Andrew C Johnson
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Wallingford, Oxfordshire OX10 8BB, UK
Environ Sci Technol 42:5390-9. 2008..A combination of modeling and measuring techniques will give the greatest confidence in risk assessment...
- Estrogen content and relative performance of Japanese and British sewage treatment plants and their potential impact on endocrine disruptionAndrew Johnson
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology Wallingford, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 8BB, UK
Environ Sci 14:319-29. 2007..Overall, the apparently higher incidence of endocrine disruption in British wild fish than in Japanese wild fish cannot be attributed to differences in the efficiency of their respective STPs...
- What difference might sewage treatment performance make to endocrine disruption in rivers?Andrew C Johnson
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Maclean Building, Benson Lane, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 8BB, UK
Environ Pollut 147:194-202. 2007..This difference was shown to have an important effect on predicted river E1 concentrations and consequent risk classifications...
- A practical demonstration in modelling diclofenac and propranolol river water concentrations using a GIS hydrology model in a rural UK catchmentA C Johnson
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology CEH Wallingford, Benson Lane, Wallingford, Oxfordshire OX10 8BB, UK
Environ Pollut 146:155-65. 2007..Further testing will be required to establish their accuracy...
- The potential steroid hormone contribution of farm animals to freshwaters, the United Kingdom as a case studyA C Johnson
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology Wallingford, Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 8BB, United Kingdom
Sci Total Environ 362:166-78. 2006..This survey suggests that direct excretion of steroid hormones by animals into water courses, or discharges from farmyard drains, are likely to be more important sources of contamination rather than via normal agricultural scenarios...
- Comparing steroid estrogen, and nonylphenol content across a range of European sewage plants with different treatment and management practicesA C Johnson
CEH Wallingford, Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxfordshire OX10 8BB, UK
Water Res 39:47-58. 2005..05 to 1.31 microg/L. A comparison of removal performance for E1 was carried out following prediction of the probable influent concentration. A weak but significant (alpha<5%) correlation between E1 removal and HRT or SRT was observed...
- The ability of indigenous micro-organisms to degrade isoproturon, atrazine and mecoprop within aerobic UK aquifer systemsAndrew C Johnson
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK
Pest Manag Sci 59:1291-302. 2003..It was noted that the ability of the groundwater at a field site to degrade a pesticide was not related to performance of the soil above...
- Removal of endocrine-disrupting chemicals in activated sludge treatment worksA C Johnson
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK
Environ Sci Technol 35:4697-703. 2001....
- Estimating steroid oestrogen inputs into activated sludge treatment works and observations on their removal from the effluentA C Johnson
lnstitute of Hydrology, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK
Sci Total Environ 256:163-73. 2000..Using the currently available data collected from composite samples, an average of 88% of E2 and 74% of E1 would appear to be removed by the activated sludge process...
- Predicted exposures to steroid estrogens in U.K. rivers correlate with widespread sexual disruption in wild fish populationsSusan Jobling
Beyond The Basics Ltd, Burnham, Bucks, United Kingdom
Environ Health Perspect 114:32-9. 2006....
- Current and future education of medical illustratorsAndrew Johnson
Birmingham Children s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, UK
J Vis Commun Med 30:108-9. 2007
- Onychomycosis: quality of studiesAditya K Gupta
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Science Center Sunnybrook site and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Cutan Med Surg 7:312-6. 2003..The quality of original clinical trial publications pertaining to the use of oral antifungal agents to treat onychomycosis was evaluated using predetermined criteria...