- Constipation in older patients: effects on quality of life
St Mark's Hospital, London
Br J Nurs 15:188-92. 2006
..Strategies for prevention and minimization of constipation have the potential to substantially improve quality of life for older people...
- Randomized controlled trial of biofeedback for fecal incontinence
St Mark s Hospital, Northwick Park, Watford Road, Harrow HA 1 3UJ, England, UK
Gastroenterology 125:1320-9. 2003
..Behavioral treatment (biofeedback) has been reported to improve fecal incontinence but has not been compared with standard care...
- Long-term results of repeat anterior anal sphincter repair
Carolynne J Vaizey
St Mark s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 47:858-63. 2004
..Anterior anal sphincter repair for obstetric trauma sometimes fails because of breakdown of the repair. The long-term results of repeating the overlapping repair are not known...
- Patients' views of a colostomy for fecal incontinence
Physiology Unit, St Mark s Hospital, Harrow HA1 3UJ, UK
Dis Colon Rectum 48:1062-9. 2005
..Formation of a permanent stoma often is seen as a last resort when all other interventions for fecal incontinence have failed. However, no previous study has examined patients' views of a colostomy to manage fecal incontinence...
- St. Mark's incontinence score
Dis Colon Rectum 50:2252. 2007
- Biofeedback and/or sphincter exercises for the treatment of faecal incontinence in adults
St Mark s Hospital, Physiology Unit, Northwick Park, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex, UK HA1 3UJ
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD002111. 2006
..Anal sphincter exercises and biofeedback therapy have been used to treat the symptoms of people with faecal incontinence. However, standards of treatment are still lacking and the magnitude of alleged benefits has yet to be established...
- Anal sphincter biofeedback and pelvic floor exercises for faecal incontinence in adults--a systematic review
Physiology Unit, St Mark s Hospital, Harrow, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 15:1147-54. 2001
..Faecal incontinence is a common health care problem. Biofeedback is extensively used in clinical practice to treat faecal incontinence...
- Methodology of biofeedback for adults with fecal incontinence: a program of care
Physiology Unit, St Mark's Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex, United Kingdom
J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs 28:156-68. 2001
..A recent evaluation of this program found that two thirds of patients reported improved fecal continence after receiving care from this service...
- Pathophysiology and management of bowel dysfunction in multiple sclerosis
P H Wiesel
St Mark's Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Middx HA1 3UJ, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 13:441-8. 2001
..In the absence of clinical trial data on bowel management in MS, these should be considered as a consensus on clinical practice from a team specialized in bowel dysfunction...
- Does the St. Mark's incontinence score reflect patients' perceptions? A review of 390 patients
St Mark s Hospital, Watford Road, London, Middlesex, HA1 3UJ, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 51:436-42. 2008
..Mark's incontinence score to a change in patients' perception and outcome evaluation after treatment...
- Investigation to predict faecal continence in patients undergoing reversal of a defunctioning stoma (Porridge enema test)
St Mark s Hospital, Harrow, UK
Colorectal Dis 10:379-85. 2008
..A defunctioning stoma is often performed in cases of major anorectal surgery or sphincter injury. This study aimed to assess the Porridge enema (PE) test as a tool to evaluate function prior to stoma closure...
- Nurses, bowel continence, stigma, and taboos
Bowel Control, St Mark s Hospital, Northwick Park, Watford Road, Harrow HA1 3UJ, England
J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs 31:85-94. 2004
..By recognizing the social dimension of this problem and by incorporating knowledge about coping and control into patient teaching and clinical practice, nurses may better meet the needs of those with fecal incontinence...
- Women's experiences of faecal incontinence: a study
Physiology Unit, St Mark s Hospital, Northwick Park, Watford Road, Harrow
Br J Community Nurs 9:520-3. 2004
..This article focuses on what it means to live with faecal incontinence and, based on the findings from a small study, discusses the range of experience women with this chronic condition have...
- Behavioral management of fecal incontinence in adults
Physiology Unit, St. Mark's Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex, United Kingdom
Gastroenterology 126:S64-70. 2004
..Development and validation of outcome measures are important, and predictors of outcome and effects in patient subgroups, especially elderly and neurologically impaired patients, should also be investigated...
- Fecal incontinence: the quality of reported randomized, controlled trials in the last ten years
Department of Physiology, St Mark s Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, London, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 51:88-95. 2008
..This study was designed to analyze the characteristics and the quality of reporting of randomized, controlled trials published during the last ten years on fecal incontinence...
- Specialist nurses in gastroenterology
St Mark's Hospital, Northwick Park, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, UK
J R Soc Med 95:331-5. 2002
- A patient-centered approach to developing a comprehensive symptom and quality of life assessment of anal incontinence
Bristol Urological Institute, Southmead Hospital, Westbury on Trym, Bristol, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 51:82-7. 2008
..This study was designed to identify question items required for a comprehensive symptom and quality of life assessment for individuals with anal incontinence...
- Management of faecal incontinence in adults: summary of NICE guidance
Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwifery, King's College London, London
BMJ 334:1370-1. 2007
- Contribution of specialist nurses in managing patients with IBD
St Mark s Hospital and Burdett Institute of Gastrointestinal Nursing, King s College London
Br J Nurs 16:208-12. 2007
..There is no known medical cure for either condition, and surgery often involves stoma formation and, therefore, has major implications for the patient in terms of management and body image...
- The problem of incontinence is still with us
J Adv Nurs 53:496-7. 2006
- Randomized, controlled trial of anal electrical stimulation for fecal incontinence
Burdett Institute of Gastrointestinal Nursing, St. Mark's Hospital, Harrow, and Florence Nightingale School of Nursing, King's College London, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 49:190-6. 2006
..Home electric stimulation is a relatively cheap and generally well-tolerated therapy in the conservative treatment of fecal incontinence...
- The master's degree in gastrointestinal nursing in the United Kingdom
Gastroenterol Nurs 28:433-4. 2005
- Treatment of constipation and fecal incontinence in stroke patients: randomized controlled trial
Department of Aging and Health, St Thomas Hospital, 9th Floor, North Wing, Lambeth Palace Rd, London SE1 7EH, UK
Stroke 35:2549-55. 2004
..This is the first randomized controlled trial to evaluate treatment of constipation and fecal incontinence in stroke survivors...
- Editorial comment re: Sacral nerve stimulation for fecal incontinence and constipation in adults: a short version Cochrane review
Neurourol Urodyn 27:154. 2008