Central Middlesex Hospital
Organization: Central Middlesex Hospital
- Cultural issues and the menopauseJoan Pitkin
Menopause, Clinical and Research Unit, Northwick Park and St Mark s Hospital, The North West London Hospitals NHS Trust, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, UK
Menopause Int 16:156-61. 2010..In time, all cultures evolve regardless. Finally, there may be biological and hormonal differences between races. This article seeks to place these different forces into context...
- Constipation and flatulence management for stoma patientsJennie Burch
St Marks Hospital, Middlesex
Br J Community Nurs 12:449-52. 2007..Many of the tips provided in this article are simple but may be potentially effective...
- Molecular heterogeneity of colorectal cancer: Implications for cancer controlJeremy R Jass
Department of Cellular Pathology, St Mark s Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Middx HA1 3UJ, UK
Surg Oncol 16:S7-9. 2007..In particular, new strategies for detecting and managing sessile serrated polyps will need to be developed and evaluated...
- Gastrointestinal polyposes: clinical, pathological and molecular featuresJeremy R Jass
Department of Cellular Pathology, St Mark s Hospital and Imperial College, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, UK
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 36:927-46, viii. 2007..One of the most important, but often neglected, of these is hyperplastic polyposis...
- Are there strategies to reduce the length of stay for well near-term babies?N Bajaj
Neonatal Unit, Northwick Park, Harrow, HA1 3UJ
Arch Dis Child 93:445-7. 2008
- Northwick Park Care Needs Assessment: adaptation for inpatient neurological rehabilitation settingsHeather Williams
Regional Rehabilitation Unit, North West London Hospitals NHS Trust, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
J Adv Nurs 59:612-22. 2007..This paper is a report of a study to establish which timings and assumptions of the Northwick Park Dependency Scale and Care Needs Assessment are appropriate to the inpatient rehabilitation setting and which, if any, require adjustment...
- Dysfunctional uterine bleedingJoan Pitkin
North West London Hospitals NHS Trust, Northwick Park Hospital, Middlesex, HA1 3UJ
BMJ 334:1110-1. 2007
- A double-blind, randomized, controlled crossover trial of glutamine supplementation in home parenteral nutritionA Culkin
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, St Mark s Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
Eur J Clin Nutr 62:575-83. 2008..The aim was to determine if the inclusion of 10 g of glutamine as part of the nitrogen source of home parenteral nutrition (HPN) reduces infectious complications...
- ThinPrep LBC cervical sampleT Levine
Department of Cellular Pathology, North West London Hospitals NHS Trust, Northwick Park Hospital, Middlesex, UK
Cytopathology 18:391. 2007
- The Lead Cancer Nurse - an ill-defined role?Fiona Vaz
Cancer and Palliative Care Services, Northwest London Hospitals, NHS Trust, London, UK
J Nurs Manag 15:149-54. 2007..Recommendations include on-going monitoring and evaluation of these posts, the development of local supportive frameworks and a review of the educational needs of these postholders...
- Emerging drug therapies for preventing spontaneous preterm labor and preterm birthRonald F Lamont
Northwick Park and St Mark s NHS Trust, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex, London, HA1 3UJ, UK
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 16:337-45. 2007....
- Postmortem brain MRI with selective tissue biopsy as an adjunct to autopsy following neonatal encephalopathyR M Nicholl
Neonatal Unit, Northwick Park Hospital, North West London Hospitals NHS Trust, London, UK
Eur J Paediatr Neurol 11:167-74. 2007..We report our experience on the use of postmortem brain MRI combined with selective tissue biopsy, in six neonatal deaths in the setting of a large district general hospital...
- IVF/ICSI in a woman with active acromegaly: successful outcome following treatment with pegvisomantAsjid Qureshi
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Northwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex, London, UK
J Assist Reprod Genet 23:439-42. 2006..This complex case required intricate care by a multi-disciplinary team and is likely to represent the first in many cases of assisted conception on pegvisomant therapy for active acromegaly...
- Manuka honey dressing: An effective treatment for chronic wound infectionsBhavin G Visavadia
Maxillofacial Unit, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford Surrey, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46:55-6. 2008..We have been using honey-impregnated dressings successfully in our wound care clinic and on the maxillofacial ward for over a year...
- Recommendations for the reporting of surgically resected specimens of colorectal carcinoma: Association of Directors of Anatomic and Surgical PathologyJeremy R Jass
Department of Cellular Pathology, St Mark s Hospital, Harrow, England
Am J Clin Pathol 129:13-23. 2008
- Influence of biologic therapy on return to work in people with work disability due to ankylosing spondylitisA C Keat
Arthritis Centre, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 47:481-3. 2008..To answer the question 'does TNF blockade therapy enable people with severe AS to return to work or work more productively?'...
- Hallucinations in a child: a case demonstrating the pitfalls of urine dipstick drug testingArlene Boroda
Department of Paediatrics, Northwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Middlesex, United Kingdom
J Forensic Leg Med 15:198-9. 2008..In particular, this is critical when the results of such tests have such far reaching medicolegal and social consequences...
- Managing quality of life in the older person with a stomaRebecca C Slater
St Mark s Hospital, Harrow
Br J Community Nurs 15:480-2, 484. 2010..Nurses need to understand what their patient perceives as a good quality of life and how to alter any negative factors that may inhibit a patient's ability to care for and accept their stoma...
- Review article: the optimal medical management of acute severe ulcerative colitisA L Hart
St Mark s Hospital, London, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 32:615-27. 2010..The traditional management with intravenous corticosteroids has been modified by introduction of ciclosporin and more recently, infliximab...
- Continence problems in the house-bound patient: causes and treatmentJennie Burch
St Mark s Hospital
Br J Community Nurs 15:220-2, 224. 2010..Causes of faecal incontinence are discussed, including anal sphincter damage. Finally the nursing, medical and surgical treatment options are explored. This includes medication, biofeedback and the formation of a colostomy...
- What does enhanced recovery mean for the community nurse?Jennie Burch
St Mark s Hospital, North West London Hospitals NHS Trust
Br J Community Nurs 14:490, 492, 494. 2009..To achieve this care a number of elements are required including early feeding and early mobilization and this results in patients getting better quicker than they would with traditional hospital care...
- Atrial septal aneurysm and patent foramen ovale are less prevalent in the Indo-Asian than in the Caucasian or Afro-Caribbean populationAbdul Majeed Salmasi
Cardiovascular Risks Management and Hypertension Clinics and General Cardiology Clinics, Brent Teaching Primary Care Trust, London
Angiology 61:205-10. 2010..All participants underwent trans-thoracic echocardiography (TTE). In some patients, the TTE was repeated using bubble contrast...
- Improving clinical outcome in patients with intestinal failure using individualised nutritional adviceA Culkin
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Northwick Park and St Mark s Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 22:290-8; quiz 300-1. 2009..Written information may increase knowledge leading to improvements in clinical outcomes. The present study aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of nutrition advice incorporating the use of a booklet...
- Effectiveness of short-term, enhanced, infection control support in improving compliance with infection control guidelines and practice in nursing homes: a cluster randomized trialG Gopal Rao
Department of Microbiology and Infection Control, University Hospital, Lewisham, UK
Epidemiol Infect 137:1465-71. 2009....
- Evaluation of functional outcome measures for the hemiparetic upper limb: a systematic reviewStephen Ashford
Regional Rehabilitation Unit, Northwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 3UJ, UK
J Rehabil Med 40:787-95. 2008..To identify valid and reliable outcome measures reflective of "real-life" active and passive function for application following focal rehabilitation interventions in the hemiparetic upper limb after stroke or brain injury...
- Sexuality and the menopauseJoan Pitkin
Northwick Park St Marks Hospital, N W London Hospitals, NHS Trust, Watford Road, HA1 3UJ, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 23:33-52. 2009..This chapter seeks to put sexuality into perspective and to define both function and dysfunction...
- Progestational agents for the prevention of preterm birthRonald F Lamont
Northwick Park Institute of Medical Research, London, UK
J Perinat Med 37:12-4. 2009..The assessment of the use of PAs to prevent PTB should only relate to previous and subsequent SPTL and not to PTB due to fetomaternal indications...
- Managing a colostomy or ileostomy in community nursing practiceElissa Bradshaw
Biofeedback, St Marks Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex
Br J Community Nurs 13:514-8. 2008..The article looks at care of ostomates and ileostomates in relation to available appliances and also discusses dietary recommendations...
- Management of shoulder and proximal upper limb spasticity using botulinum toxin and concurrent therapy interventions: a preliminary analysis of goals and outcomesStephen Ashford
Regional Rehabilitation Unit, Northwick Park Hospital and Department of Palliative Care, Policy and Rehabilitation, School of Medicine, King s College London, UK
Disabil Rehabil 31:220-6. 2009..To explore the role of Botulinum Toxin type A (BoNT-A) in the management of the spastic hemiplegic shoulder and identify the common achievable goals for treatment...
- Implementation of electronic patient records in a sexual health clinicM G Brook
Patrick Clements GUM Centre, Central Middlesex Hospital, Acton Lane, London, NW10 7 NS, UK
Sex Transm Infect 84:155-6. 2008
- Nutrition and the ostomate: input, output and absorptionJennie Burch
Physiology Department, St Mark s Hospital, Harrow
Br J Community Nurs 11:349-51. 2006..The function of the nutrients in the diet is discussed and how the ostomate can best obtain these into their diet...
- Cytokine storm in a phase 1 trial of the anti-CD28 monoclonal antibody TGN1412Ganesh Suntharalingam
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Northwick Park and St Mark s Hospital, Harrow, London, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 355:1018-28. 2006..Documentation of the clinical course occurring over the 30 days after infusion offers insight into the systemic inflammatory response syndrome in the absence of contaminating pathogens, endotoxin, or underlying disease...
- Urostomy products: an update of recent developmentsJennie Burch
St Mark s Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
Br J Community Nurs 9:482-6. 2004..This article provides an overview of the recent developments in appliances for people with a urostomy. Following a short background, the products that may be useful for this patient group are discussed...
- Findings from the British HIV Association's national clinical audit of first-line antiretroviral therapy and survey of treatment practice and maternity care, 2002M G Brook
Central Middlesex Hospital, NWLH NHS Trust, London, UK
HIV Med 5:415-20. 2004..To assess the impact of and adherence to the British HIV Association (BHIVA) guidelines in routine clinical practice in the UK and Ireland...
- Is discharge home with drains after breast surgery producing satisfactory outcomes?Neil K Chadha
Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 86:353-7. 2004..To assess whether discharging patients after breast cancer surgery with drains in situ and specialist nurse support is producing satisfactory outcomes. PATIENTS and..
- Priorities in nursing management of fistulas in a community settingJennie Burch
St Mark s Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
Br J Community Nurs . 2004..The essential elements of nursing in a community setting are described, and information given on skin care, nutrition, fluids and appliances...
- Prevalence of unrecognized abnormal glucose tolerance in patients attending a hospital hypertension clinicAbdul Majeed Salmasi
Cardiac Research Unit, Cardiology Department, Central Middlesex Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Am J Hypertens 17:483-8. 2004..Diabetes mellitus (DM) and impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) are not uncommonly associated with hypertension. Fasting blood glucose level is still recognized as an indicator of DM...
- The efficacy of vaginal clindamycin for the treatment of abnormal genital tract flora in pregnancyRonald F Lamont
Northwick Park and St Mark s NHS Trust, Harrow, Middlesex, London, UK
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 11:181-9. 2003..To assess the efficacy of 2% clindamycin vaginal cream (CVC) to treat bacterial vaginosis (BV) in pregnancy...
- Neonatal screening for sickle cell disordersJoan S Henthorn
Faculty of Medicine, Central Middlesex Hospital Department of Haematology, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College London, London NW10 7NS, UK
Br J Haematol 124:259-63. 2004
- MenopauseKathy Abernethy
Menopause Clinical and Research Unit, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow
Nurs Stand 17:45-53; quiz 54-5. 2003..This article discusses the physiology, symptoms and treatment of the effects of menopause. Nurses are ideally placed to advise, inform and assist women in making decisions about their health during and following the menopause...
- Serum levels of low molecular weight advanced glycation end products in diabetic subjectsP S Sharp
Department of Endocrinology, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, UK
Diabet Med 20:575-9. 2003..Circulating AGEs can be detected in serum, and in the present study, we analysed the clinical correlates of circulating serum low molecular weight AGE (LMW-AGE)...
- Age-associated changes in left ventricular diastolic function are related to increasing left ventricular massAbdul Majeed Salmasi
Cardiac Research Unit, Department of Cardiology, Central Middlesex Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Am J Hypertens 16:473-7. 2003..A progressive increase in LVMI, which accompanies aging may contribute to stiffening of the left ventricle and deterioration in diastolic function of the left ventricle. This is exaggerated by IME...
- Intravaginal clindamycin to reduce preterm birth in women with abnormal genital tract floraRonald F Lamont
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Northwick Park and St Mark s Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex, London HA1 3UJ, United Kingdom
Obstet Gynecol 101:516-22. 2003..To assess the ability of clindamycin vaginal cream to reduce the incidence of preterm birth in women with abnormal genital tract flora in the second trimester of pregnancy...
- Recent evidence associated with the condition of preterm prelabour rupture of the membranesRonnie F Lamont
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Northwick Park and St Mark s Hospitals and Imperial College School of Medicine, London, UK
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 15:91-9. 2003....
- Meningococcal disease: treatment and preventionRobert A Wall
Department of Microbiology, Northwick Park Hospital, North West London Hospitals NHS Trust, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex, England HA1 3UJ
Ann Med 34:624-34. 2002..The recently introduced conjugate vaccine for preventing serogroup C disease represents a major advance but no vaccine is currently available to prevent serogroup B disease, cases of which will continue to challenge clinical practice...
- Scanning the horizon: emerging hospital-wide technologies and their impact on critical careGanesh Suntharalingam
Northwick Park and St Marks Hospitals, Harrow, UK
Crit Care 9:12-5. 2005....
- Injectable bulking agents for treating faecal incontinenceC J Vaizey
Department of Physiology, St Mark s Hospital at Northwick Park, Watford Road, Harrow HA1 3UJ, UK
Br J Surg 92:521-7. 2005..Reports of the use of injectable bulking agents for faecal incontinence are currently confined to a small number of pilot studies. However, the use of these agents is rapidly becoming widespread based on this limited knowledge...
- Vaginal markers of preterm birthRonald F Lamont
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Northwick Park and St Mark s NHS Trust and Imperial College, London, UK
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 84:537-8. 2005
- Guidelines for management of patients with a short bowelJ Nightingale
St Mark s Hospital, Harrow HA1 3UJ, UK
Gut 55:iv1-12. 2006
- Goal attainment for spasticity management using botulinum toxinStephen Ashford
Regional Rehabilitation Unit, Northwick Park Hospital, London, UK
Physiother Res Int 11:24-34. 2006..To determine whether goal attainment scaling (GAS) can demonstrate functional gains following injection of botulinum toxin (BTX) for spasticity in severely disabled patients...
- Modulation of nitric oxide pathways: therapeutic potential in asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAnthony E Redington
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London W12 0HS, United Kingdom
Eur J Pharmacol 533:263-76. 2006....
- Prevention of viral hepatitis in HIV co-infectionGary Brook
Patrick Clements Clinic, Central Middlesex Hospital, Acton Lane, London NW10 7NS, UK
J Hepatol 44:S104-7. 2006..Hepatitis B and C may also be prevented through counselling about safer sex, particularly condom use. In intravenous drug users, harm reduction, counselling and the use of needle/syringe exchange schemes may be helpful...
- Management of a high-output stoma in the community: case studyJennie Burch
Stoma Care, St Mark s Hospital, Harrow, UK
Br J Community Nurs 10:411-3. 2005..Issues related to high output stomas will be briefly discussed and then a case study will show how one team of community nurses assisted a patient with a jejunostomy...
- Is glycated haemoglobin a sensitive index to identify left ventricular dysfunction two months after acute myocardial infarction in normotensive subjects?Abdul Majeed Salmasi
Cardiac Research Unit, Cardiology Department, Pathology, Central Middlesex Hospital, Acton Lane, London NW10 7NS, United Kingdom
Int J Cardiol 110:67-73. 2006..This study was carried out in order to relate HbA1c to LV function two months following AMI in 171 normotensive patients who were not previously known to have had diabetes mellitus...
- The quality of nifedipine studies used to assess tocolytic efficacy: a systematic reviewRonnie F Lamont
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Northwick Park Hospital and Imperial College, London, UK
J Perinat Med 33:287-95. 2005..To assess the quality of studies of nifedipine used to treat spontaneous preterm labor...
- Left ventricular hypertrophy and preclinical impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes mellitus contribute to abnormal left ventricular diastolic function in hypertensive patientsAbdul Majeed Salmasi
Cardiac Research Unit and the Hypertension Clinic, Cardiology Department, Central Middlesex Hospital, Acton Lane, London NW10 7NS, UK
Blood Press Monit 10:231-8. 2005....
- Cannabis use in sickle cell disease: a questionnaire studyJo Howard
Department of Haematology, Central Middlesex Hospital, London, UK
Br J Haematol 131:123-8. 2005..Patients attending Central Middlesex Hospital in London were invited to complete a structured self-administered anonymous questionnaire...
- BHIVA guidelines on HIV and chronic hepatitis: coinfection with HIV and hepatitis B virus infection (2005)M G Brook
Central Middlesex Hospital, London, UK
HIV Med 6:84-95. 2005
- Stoma complications encountered in the community, A-ZJennie Burch
St Mark s Hospital, Harrow
Br J Community Nurs 10:324, 326, 328-9. 2005..Some of these problems are explored in this article. Solutions and advice are offered to assist community nurses in their care of this patient group...
- Hair analysis for drugs in child abuseArlene Boroda
Department of Paediatrics, Northwick Park Hospital NHS Trust, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, UK
J R Soc Med 98:318-9. 2005
- BSR guidelines for prescribing TNF-alpha blockers in adults with ankylosing spondylitis. Report of a working party of the British Society for RheumatologyA Keat
Arthritis Centre, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex, AAI 30J, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:939-47. 2005
- Subclinical type 1 diabetesTahseen A Chowdhury
Department of Medicine, Central Middlesex Hospital, London, UK
J R Soc Med 95:203-4. 2002