Genomes and Genes
Wen G Jiang
Affiliation: Cardiff University
- Jiang W, Eynard A, Mansel R. The pathology of essential fatty acid deficiency: is it cell adhesion mediated?. Med Hypotheses. 2000;55:257-62 pubmed..These findings may provide molecular explanations for those phenomena seen in EFAD and this paper aims to discuss these relationships and raise points for further discussion. ..
- Jiang W, Ablin R, Douglas Jones A, Mansel R. Expression of transglutaminases in human breast cancer and their possible clinical significance. Oncol Rep. 2003;10:2039-44 pubmed..Breast cancer displays an aberrant expression of TGases, wherein the levels of TGases-2, 3 and 7 have a relationship with node involvement and patient outcome. ..
- Jiang W, Hiscox S, Horrobin D, Bryce R, Mansel R. Gamma linolenic acid regulates expression of maspin and the motility of cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;237:639-44 pubmed..This reduction was reversed with anti-maspin antibody. It is concluded that GLA, a member of then-6 series of EFAs, up-regulates the expression of maspin which is associated with a reduction in the motility of cancer cells. ..
- Li J, Ye L, Sun P, Satherley L, Hargest R, Zhang Z, et al. MTA1 Is Up-regulated in Colorectal Cancer and Is Inversely Correlated with Lymphatic Metastasis. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2015;12:339-45 pubmed..MTA1 is up-regulated in CRC. MTA1 expression is inversely associated with lymphatic metastases and the expression of VEGFC, VEGFD and VEGFR3. ..
- Wang L, Cui Y, Ruge F, Jiang W. Interleukin 21 and Its Receptor Play a Role in Proliferation, Migration and Invasion of Breast Cancer Cells. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2015;12:211-21 pubmed..In conclusion, we unveiled the roles of IL21R in breast cancer cells, which enhances our knowledge on immunological regulation of cancer cells through the axis of IL21 and its receptor. ..
- Jiang W, Redfern A, Bryce R, Mansel R. Peroxisome proliferator activated receptor-gamma (PPAR-gamma) mediates the action of gamma linolenic acid in breast cancer cells. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2000;62:119-27 pubmed..Thus, PPAR gamma serves as the receptor for GLA in the regulation of gene expression in breast cancer cells. ..
- Jiang W, Ye L, Ruge F, Owen S, Martin T, Sun P, et al. YangZheng XiaoJi exerts anti-tumour growth effects by antagonising the effects of HGF and its receptor, cMET, in human lung cancer cells. J Transl Med. 2015;13:280 pubmed publisher..This effect is likely attributed to the inhibition of the HGF receptor activation. These results indicate that YZXJ has a therapeutic role in lung cancer and that combined strategy with methods to block HGF and EGF should be considered. ..
- Jiang W, Bryce R, Mansel R. Gamma linolenic acid regulates gap junction communication in endothelial cells and their interaction with tumour cells. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1997;56:307-16 pubmed..It is concluded that GLA reduces tumour-endothelium adhesion, partly by improved gap junction communications of the endothelium. ..
- Jiang W, Davies G, Martin T, Parr C, Watkins G, Mansel R, et al. The potential lymphangiogenic effects of hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor in vitro and in vivo. Int J Mol Med. 2005;16:723-8 pubmed..Hepatocyte growth factor has potential lymphangiogenic activities, and this may have important implications in the nodal spread of cancer cells. ..
- Jiang W, Singhrao S, Hiscox S, Hallett M, Bryce R, Horrobin D, et al. Regulation of desmosomal cell adhesion in human tumour cells by polyunsaturated fatty acids. Clin Exp Metastasis. 1997;15:593-602 pubmed..Other fatty acids increased Dsg expression, but to a lesser extent. It is concluded that GLA regulates desmosome-mediated cell-cell adhesion in human cancer cells, particularly in cells without E-cadherin. ..
- Jiang W, Ye L, Ji K, Frewer N, Ji J, Mason M. Inhibitory effects of Yangzheng Xiaoji on angiogenesis and the role of the focal adhesion kinase pathway. Int J Oncol. 2012;41:1635-42 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, Yangzhen Xiaoji has a marked effect on angiogenesis, in vitro and that this effect is at least partly mediated by the focal adhesion kinase (FAK) pathway. ..
- Jiang A, Zhao H, Cai J, Jiang W. Possible Effect of Muscle-relaxant Anaesthetics on Invasion, Adhesion and Migration of Breast Cancer Cells. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:1259-65 pubmed..An understanding of the effect of anaesthetics and their impact on tumour metastasis is important, thus using an appropriate aesthetic strategy could improve long-term survival in some patients. ..
- Jiang W, Watkins G, Douglas Jones A, Holmgren L, Mansel R. Angiomotin and angiomotin like proteins, their expression and correlation with angiogenesis and clinical outcome in human breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 2006;6:16 pubmed..It links to the aggressive nature of breast tumours and the long term survival of the patients. These data point angiomotin as being a potential therapeutic target. ..
- Shi L, Resaul J, Owen S, Ye L, Jiang W. Clinical and Therapeutic Implications of Follistatin in Solid Tumours. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2016;13:425-435 pubmed..In terms of diagnosis, prognosis and therapy, FST has shown strong promise. Through a better understanding of its biological functions, potential clinical applications may yet emerge. ..
- Chen J, Xie F, Zhang L, Jiang W. iASPP is over-expressed in human non-small cell lung cancer and regulates the proliferation of lung cancer cells through a p53 associated pathway. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:694 pubmed publisher..Together with the pattern of the over-expression in clinical lung cancers, it is concluded that iASPP plays an pivotal role in the progression of lung cancer and is a potential target for lung cancer therapy. ..
- Jiang W, Martin T, Lewis Russell J, Douglas Jones A, Ye L, Mansel R. Eplin-alpha expression in human breast cancer, the impact on cellular migration and clinical outcome. Mol Cancer. 2008;7:71 pubmed publisher..EPLIN-alpha acts as a potential tumour suppressor by inhibition of growth and migration of cancer cells. ..
- Jiang W, Davies G, Martin T, Parr C, Watkins G, Mason M, et al. Targeting matrilysin and its impact on tumor growth in vivo: the potential implications in breast cancer therapy. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:6012-9 pubmed..Elimination of matrilysin is associated with low invasiveness and slow tumor growth. Taken together, the study suggests that targeting matrilysin may have important therapeutic implications. ..
- Jia Y, Ji K, Ji J, Hao C, Ye L, Sanders A, et al. IL24 and its Receptors Regulate Growth and Migration of Pancreatic Cancer Cells and Are Potential Biomarkers for IL24 Molecular Therapy. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:1153-63 pubmed..IL20R1 correlated with prognosis of patients with pancreatic cancer, and mediates pancreatic cancer cell growth and migration. It may be a potential biomarker for IL24 molecular-targeted therapy. ..
- Tong S, Si Y, Yu H, Zhang L, Xie P, Jiang W. MLN4924 (Pevonedistat), a protein neddylation inhibitor, suppresses proliferation and migration of human clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Sci Rep. 2017;7:5599 pubmed publisher..The study thus indicates that MLN4924 has potential therapeutic value for the clinical treatment of renal cancer. ..
- Ji K, Ye L, Toms A, Hargest R, Martin T, Ruge F, et al. Expression of signal-induced proliferation-associated gene 1 (SIPA1), a RapGTPase-activating protein, is increased in colorectal cancer and has diverse effects on functions of colorectal cancer cells. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2012;9:321-7 pubmed..SIPA1 is up-regulated in colorectal cancer. This suggests that SIPA1 plays diverse roles during disease progression as has contrasting effects on growth and motility of colorectal cancer cells. ..
- Jiang W, Watkins G, Douglas Jones A, Mansel R. Psoriasin is aberrantly expressed in human breast cancer and is related to clinical outcomes. Int J Oncol. 2004;25:81-5 pubmed..02 and p<0.001, vs disease-free, respectively). It is concluded that aberrant expression of psoriasin is commonly seen in human breast cancer and that excessively high levels are correlated with the clinical outcomes. ..
- Feng Y, Sanders A, Morgan L, Owen S, Ruge F, Harding K, et al. In vitro significance of SOCS-3 and SOCS-4 and potential mechanistic links to wound healing. Sci Rep. 2017;7:6715 pubmed publisher..This implies a potential regulatory role in the wound healing process and, thus highlights their potential as novel therapies. ..
- Yuan Z, Qu X, Zhang Z, Jiang W. Application of Localization and Needle Placement Guided by Mammographic, Ultrasound and Fiberoptic Ductoscopy for Resection of Non-palpable Breast Lesions. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:4523-4527 pubmed..With the help of this procedure, more malignant lesions can be localized and surgically removed. ..
- Zhao Z, Cheng S, Zabkiewicz C, Chen J, Zhang L, Ye L, et al. Reduced Expression of RanBPM Is Associated with Poorer Survival from Lung Cancer and Increased Proliferation and Invasion of Lung Cancer Cells In Vitro. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:4389-4397 pubmed..Increased expression of RanBPM associates with postponed disease progression and better prognosis. RanBPM plays an inhibitory role in regulating proliferation and invasion of lung cancer cells. ..
- Hiscox S, Jiang W. Ezrin regulates cell-cell and cell-matrix adhesion, a possible role with E-cadherin/beta-catenin. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 Pt 18:3081-90 pubmed
- Jiang W, Douglas Jones A, Mansel R. Expression of peroxisome-proliferator activated receptor-gamma (PPARgamma) and the PPARgamma co-activator, PGC-1, in human breast cancer correlates with clinical outcomes. Int J Cancer. 2003;106:752-7 pubmed..We conclude that there is aberrant expression of PPARgamma and its co-activator, PGC-1, in human breast cancer and low levels of these molecules in cancer tissues are associated with poor clinical outcomes. ..
- Sobkowicz A, Sanders A, Mason M, Jiang W. Potential Implication of Paxillin in Cancer Establishment Within the Bone Environment. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:4255-4268 pubmed..The responsiveness of cells to environmental factors such as HGF or BME may be influenced by paxillin status, although this seems to be dependent on cell type. ..
- Jiang W, Douglas Jones A, Mansel R. Levels of expression of lipoxygenases and cyclooxygenase-2 in human breast cancer. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2003;69:275-81 pubmed
- Jiang W, Sampson J, Martin T, Lee Jones L, Watkins G, Douglas Jones A, et al. Tuberin and hamartin are aberrantly expressed and linked to clinical outcome in human breast cancer: the role of promoter methylation of TSC genes. Eur J Cancer. 2005;41:1628-36 pubmed..The expression of TSC1 is associated with an unfavourable clinical outcome in patients with breast cancer. ..
- Zhang J, Jiang X, Xie C, Cheng H, Da Dong J, Wang Y, et al. Downregulation of CFTR promotes epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and is associated with poor prognosis of breast cancer. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:2961-2969 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the present study has demonstrated a previously undefined role of CFTR as an EMT suppressor and its potential as a prognostic indicator in breast cancer. ..
- Jiang W, Ablin R, Kynaston H, Mason M. The prostate transglutaminase (TGase-4, TGaseP) regulates the interaction of prostate cancer and vascular endothelial cells, a potential role for the ROCK pathway. Microvasc Res. 2009;77:150-7 pubmed publisher..It is therefore concluded, that TGase-4 plays a pivotal role in the interaction between endothelial cells and prostate cancer cells, an action which is independent of the ROCK pathway. ..
- Jiang W, Grimshaw D, Martin T, Davies G, Parr C, Watkins G, et al. Reduction of stromal fibroblast-induced mammary tumor growth, by retroviral ribozyme transgenes to hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor and its receptor, c-MET. Clin Cancer Res. 2003;9:4274-81 pubmed..Retroviral ribozyme transgenes targeting HGF/SF in fibroblasts or its receptor cMET in mammary cancer cells can reduce the growth of mammary cancer and associated angiogenesis by inhibiting paracrine stromal-tumor cell interactions. ..
- Jiang W, Davies G, Fodstad O. Com-1/P8 in oestrogen regulated growth of breast cancer cells, the ER-beta connection. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;330:253-62 pubmed..This action is potentially exerted by interacting with ER-beta, in human breast cancer cells. The fate of Com-1 can be dually regulated by oestrogen and ubiquitin pathway. ..
- Jiang W, Watkins G, Douglas Jones A, Mansel R. Reduction of isoforms of 15-lipoxygenase (15-LOX)-1 and 15-LOX-2 in human breast cancer. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2006;74:235-45 pubmed..The study has also reported a link between 15-LOX-2 and oestrogen receptor status in breast tumours. Both isoforms of 15-lipoxygenase have a tumour suppressing role in breast cancer. ..
- Jiang W, Martin T, Matsumoto K, Nakamura T, Mansel R. Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor decreases the expression of occludin and transendothelial resistance (TER) and increases paracellular permeability in human vascular endothelial cells. J Cell Physiol. 1999;181:319-29 pubmed..It is concluded that HGF/SF decreases the expression of occludin, resulting in the functional change of tight junction. ..
- Jiang W, Davies G, Martin T, Kynaston H, Mason M, Fodstad O. Com-1/p8 acts as a putative tumour suppressor in prostate cancer. Int J Mol Med. 2006;18:981-6 pubmed..Com-1/p8 is a potential tumour suppressor in human prostate cancer. ..
- Cui Y, Wu B, Flamini V, Evans B, Zhou D, Jiang W. Knockdown of EPHA1 Using CRISPR/CAS9 Suppresses Aggressive Properties of Ovarian Cancer Cells. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:4415-4424 pubmed..EPHA1 may promote the aggression of some OC cells and, thus, be considered a potential therapeutic target for the treatment of malignant OC. ..
- Jiang W, Ye L, Ablin R, Kynaston H, Mason M. The prostate transglutaminase, TGase-4, coordinates with the HGFL/MSP-RON system in stimulating the migration of prostate cancer cells. Int J Oncol. 2010;37:413-8 pubmed..It is concluded that TGase-4 expression is intrinsically linked to the activation of RON in prostate cancer cells and that this autoactivation of RON contributes to the increased cell motility in TGase-4 expressing cells. ..