W Howard Evans
Affiliation: Cardiff University
- Lighting up gap junction channels in a flashW Howard Evans
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Wales Heart Research Institute, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
Bioessays 24:876-80. 2002....
- Gap junctions: structure and function (Review)W Howard Evans
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Diagnostic Radiology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
Mol Membr Biol 19:121-36. 2002..Genetic ablation approaches are helping to map out a connexin code and point to specific connexins being required for cell growth and differentiation as well as underwriting basic intercellular communication...
- Perturbing plasma membrane hemichannels attenuates calcium signalling in cardiac cells and HeLa cells expressing connexinsVandana Verma
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Immunology, Cardiff University Medical School, Heath Park, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Eur J Cell Biol 88:79-90. 2009..Since calcium signalling is fundamental to the maintenance of cellular homeostasis, connexin hemichannels emerge as therapeutic targets open to manipulation by reagents interacting with external regions of these channels...
- Manipulating connexin communication channels: use of peptidomimetics and the translational outputsW Howard Evans
Institute of Infection and Immunity, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, Wales CF14 4XN, UK
J Membr Biol 245:437-49. 2012..Cx peptidomimetics show promise as candidates in developing new therapeutic approaches for containing and reversing damage inflicted on CxHcs, especially in hypoxia and ischemia in the heart and in brain functions...
- Relative contributions of NO and gap junctional communication to endothelium-dependent relaxations of rabbit resistance arteries vary with vessel sizeRodney S Berman
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Wales Heart Research Institute, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, CF14 4XN, Wales, United Kingdom
Microvasc Res 63:115-28. 2002....
- Low connexin channel-dependent intercellular communication in human adult hematopoietic progenitor/stem cells: probing mechanisms of autologous stem cell therapyJian Yang
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Immunology, Cardiff University Medical School, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Cell Commun Adhes 16:138-45. 2009..The results concur with the hypothesis that bone marrow cells elicit improved cardiac function through release of undefined paracrine mediators...
- ATP release by cardiac myocytes in a simulated ischaemia model: inhibition by a connexin mimetic and enhancement by an antiarrhythmic peptideThomas C Clarke
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Immunology and Wales Heart Research Institute, Cardiff University, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Eur J Pharmacol 605:9-14. 2009....
- The gap junction cellular internet: connexin hemichannels enter the signalling limelightW Howard Evans
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Immunology and the Wales Heart Research Institute, Cardiff University Medical School, Cardiff CF14 4XN, Wales, UK
Biochem J 397:1-14. 2006....
- Mimetic peptides as blockers of connexin channel-facilitated intercellular communicationW Howard Evans
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Immunology, Wales Heart Research Institute Cardiff University Medical School, Heath Park, Cardiff, UK
Cell Commun Adhes 14:265-73. 2007..A mechanism is proposed to help explain the dual action of connexin mimetic peptides on connexin hemichannels and gap-junctional coupling...
- Incorporation of connexins into plasma membranes and gap junctionsPatricia E M Martin
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Immunology and Wales Heart Research Institute, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, Wales, UK
Cardiovasc Res 62:378-87. 2004..This mechanism of channel assembly is highly dependent on microtubule integrity and may allow cells to rapidly modulate gap junctional cross talk...
- Gap junction intercellular communication during lymphocyte transendothelial migrationErnesto Oviedo-Orta
Department of Medical Biochemistry, University of Wales College of Medicine, HeathPark Cardiff, CF14 4XN, UK
Cell Biol Int 26:253-63. 2002..Although gap junctional communication was inhibited by connexin mimetic peptides, they had little influence on the transmigration process...
- CD4+ T lymphocyte subsets express connexin 43 and establish gap junction channel communication with macrophages in vitroAlexandra Bermudez-Fajardo
School of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford GU2 7XH, UK
J Leukoc Biol 82:608-12. 2007..Therefore, a further mechanism featuring gap junction-mediated communication may be implicated in immune regulation...
- Connexin hemichannels and gap junction channels are differentially influenced by lipopolysaccharide and basic fibroblast growth factorElke De Vuyst
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Ghent University, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Mol Biol Cell 18:34-46. 2007....
- The antiarrhythmic peptide rotigaptide (ZP123) increases gap junction intercellular communication in cardiac myocytes and HeLa cells expressing connexin 43Thomas C Clarke
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Immunology and Wales Heart Research Institute, Cardiff University, Cardiff, Wales
Br J Pharmacol 147:486-95. 2006..We conclude that the effects of rotigaptide were confined to cells expressing Cx43...
- Intracellular calcium changes trigger connexin 32 hemichannel openingElke De Vuyst
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
EMBO J 25:34-44. 2006..Our results indicate that [Ca2+]i elevation triggers hemichannel opening, and suggest that these channels are under physiological control...
- Altered permeability and modulatory character of connexin channels during mammary gland developmentDarren Locke
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, UMDNJ, Newark, NJ 07101, USA
Exp Cell Res 298:643-60. 2004..Connexin channel stoichiometry, permeability, and chemical gating character change in precisely the desired fashion after parturition to maximize molecular and electrical coupling to support coordinated milk secretion...
- Photoliberating inositol-1,4,5-trisphosphate triggers ATP release that is blocked by the connexin mimetic peptide gap 26Katleen Braet
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Ghent University, De Pintelaan 185, Block B, Room 306, Ghent B 9000, Belgium
Cell Calcium 33:37-48. 2003..Photoliberating calcium did not trigger intercellular calcium waves or ATP release. We conclude that InsP(3)-triggered ATP release through connexin hemichannels contributes to the intercellular propagation of calcium signals...
- Connexin channels, connexin mimetic peptides and ATP releaseLuc Leybaert
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Cell Commun Adhes 10:251-7. 2003..Work performed up to now with these peptides should be re-interpreted in terms of these new findings...
- Pharmacological sensitivity of ATP release triggered by photoliberation of inositol-1,4,5-trisphosphate and zero extracellular calcium in brain endothelial cellsKatleen Braet
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Ghent University, De Pintelaan, Ghent, Belgium
J Cell Physiol 197:205-13. 2003....
- Gap junctions and connexins: potential contributors to the immunological synapseErnesto Oviedo-Orta
Bristol Heart Institute, Bristol Royal Infirmary, United Kingdom
J Leukoc Biol 72:636-42. 2002..The increasing structural and functional evidence points to a potential role that lymphocyte gap junctional intercellular communication may play within the complex signaling components of the immunological synapse...
- Epidermal stem cells do not communicate through gap junctionsMaja Matic
Department of Oral Biology and Pathology, SUNY at Stony Brook, New York 11794, USA
J Invest Dermatol 118:110-6. 2002..Thus, presumptive keratinocyte stem cells can be identified and separated based on connexin 43 expression...
- Cell-cell communication in heterocellular cultures of alveolar epithelial cellsBrant E Isakson
Department of Physiology, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 29:552-61. 2003..In conclusion, AT1 and AT2 cells have unique connexin profiles that allow for functional coupling and distinct intercellular pathways for coordination of Ca2+ signaling...
- Adenosine stimulates connexin 43 expression and gap junctional communication in pituitary folliculostellate cellsB Mary Lewis
Centre for Endocrine and Diabetes Sciences, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
FASEB J 20:2585-7. 2006..These data suggest that adenosine, formed locally in the anterior pituitary gland can stimulate gap junction communication in FS cells...
- Post-translational integration and oligomerization of connexin 26 in plasma membranes and evidence of formation of membrane pores: implications for the assembly of gap junctionsShoeb Ahmad
Department of Medical Biochemistry, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, Wales, U K
Biochem J 365:693-9. 2002....
- Reversible connexin 43 dephosphorylation during hypoxia and reoxygenation is linked to cellular ATP levelsMark S Turner
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, University of Miami, Fla, USA
Circ Res 95:726-33. 2004..The role of this regulated phosphorylation in the adaptation to ischemia remains to be determined...