Michael L Burr
Affiliation: Cardiff University
- Effects on respiratory health of a reduction in air pollution from vehicle exhaust emissionsM L Burr
University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
Occup Environ Med 61:212-8. 2004....
- Effects on patients with asthma of eradicating visible indoor mould: a randomised controlled trialM L Burr
Department of Epidemiology, Statistics and Public Health, Neuadd Meirionnydd, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4YS, UK
Thorax 62:767-72. 2007..It is not clear whether associations between respiratory symptoms and indoor mould are causal. A randomised controlled trial was conducted to see whether asthma improves when indoor mould is removed...
- The effects of dietary advice and vouchers on the intake of fruit and fruit juice by pregnant women in a deprived area: a controlled trialM L Burr
Department of Epidemiology, Statistics and Public Health, Centre for Health Sciences Research, Cardiff University, Neuadd Meirionnydd, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4YS, UK
Public Health Nutr 10:559-65. 2007..To examine the effectiveness of two methods of increasing fruit and fruit juice intake in pregnancy: midwives' advice and vouchers exchangeable for juice...
- Secondary prevention of CHD in UK men: the Diet and Reinfarction Trial and its sequelMichael L Burr
Department of Epidemiology, Statistics and Public Health, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF14 4YS, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 66:9-15. 2007..Nutritional supplements do not necessarily have the same effects as the foods from which they are derived...
- Is fish oil good or bad for heart disease? Two trials with apparently conflicting resultsM L Burr
Department of Epidemiology, Statistics and Public Health, Cardiff University, Wales CF14 4XN, UK
J Membr Biol 206:155-63. 2005..A mechanism is proposed that could account for these findings...
- Asthma prevalence in 1973, 1988 and 2003M L Burr
Department of Epidemiology, Statistics and Public Health, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Thorax 61:296-9. 2006..A study was undertaken to see whether the prevalence of asthma has changed since a survey was conducted in 1988, using the same methods that showed an increase during the previous 15 years...
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677C-->T genotype modulates homocysteine responses to a folate-rich diet or a low-dose folic acid supplement: a randomized controlled trialPauline A L Ashfield-Watt
Cardiovascular Sciences Research Group, Wales Heart Research Institute, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 76:180-6. 2002..Low folate status and elevated plasma homocysteine are associated with increased risk of neural tube defects and cardiovascular disease. Homocysteine responses to folate may be influenced by genetic variants in folate metabolism...
- Lack of benefit of dietary advice to men with angina: results of a controlled trialM L Burr
University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:193-200. 2003..To see whether mortality among men with angina can be reduced by dietary advice...
- Results at 1 year of outpatient multidisciplinary pulmonary rehabilitation: a randomised controlled trialT L Griffiths
Department of Medicine, University of Wales, College of Medicine, Llandough Hospital, Penarth, UK
Lancet 355:362-8. 2000..We undertook a randomised controlled trial to assess the effect of outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation on use of health care and patients' wellbeing over 1 year...
- Health effects of indoor moldsM L Burr
Centre for Applied Public Health Medicine, University of Wales College of Medicine, Temple of Peace and Health, Cardiff, UK
Rev Environ Health 16:97-103. 2001..Knowing how important mold exposure really is in health terms is difficult, owing to the tendency for mold growth to be associated with other factors that are prejudicial to health...
- Nutritional advice to increase soluble fibre intake does not change plasma folate or homocysteine in men with angina: a randomised controlled trialPauline Al Ashfield-Watt
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Centre for Applied Public Health Medicine, Wales Heart Research Institute, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, UK
Public Health Nutr 5:47-53. 2002..To study the effect of advice to increase dietary soluble fibre, including fruit and vegetables, on plasma folate and homocysteine in men with angina...
- Left ventricular systolic dysfunction and atrial fibrillation in older people in the community--a need for screening?Shu F Ho
University Department of Geriatric Medicine, Llandough Hospital, Cardiff, UK
Age Ageing 33:488-92. 2004..Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors improve symptoms and survival in left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Anticoagulants are effective in stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation with aspirin being a less effective alternative...
- Pollen counts in relation to the prevalence of allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, asthma and atopic eczema in the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC)M L Burr
Centre for Applied Public Health Medicine, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
Clin Exp Allergy 33:1675-80. 2003..Although pollens are major allergens associated with allergic rhinoconjunctivitis and asthma, there is little information about the relative prevalence of these conditions in populations with different pollen exposures...
- Factors influencing atopic dermatitis-a questionnaire survey of schoolchildren's perceptionsJ R Williams
Department of Epidemiology, Statistics and Public Health, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, U K
Br J Dermatol 150:1154-61. 2004....
- A comparison of the effect of advice to eat either '5-a-day' fruit and vegetables or folic acid-fortified foods on plasma folate and homocysteineP A L Ashfield-Watt
Cardiovascular Sciences Research Group, Wales Heart Research Institute, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:316-23. 2003..To assess and compare the effects of natural folate (100 micro g) with those of folic acid from fortified sources (100 micro g/day) on plasma folate and homocysteine...
- Cost effectiveness of an outpatient multidisciplinary pulmonary rehabilitation programmeT L Griffiths
Section of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Wales College of Medicine, Llandough Hospital, Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan CF64 2XX, UK
Thorax 56:779-84. 2001..We undertook a cost/utility analysis in conjunction with a randomised controlled clinical trial of pulmonary rehabilitation versus standard care...
- Advice to eat fish and mood: a randomised controlled trial in men with anginaAndrew R Ness
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Canynge Hall, Whiteladies Road, Bristol, UK
Nutr Neurosci 6:63-5. 2003..This trial provides no evidence that increased fatty fish intake in people without depressive symptoms has any substantial effect on mood...
- Fish-oil supplementation in patients with implantable cardioverter defibrillators: a meta-analysisDavid J A Jenkins
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 178:157-64. 2008....