Affiliation: Brunel University
- Clinical reasoning and its application to nursing: concepts and research studiesMaggi Banning
Brunel University, School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Mary Seacole Building, Uxbridge UB8 3PH, Middlesex, United Kingdom
Nurse Educ Pract 8:177-83. 2008..More nursing research is needed to explore the clinical reasoning process. Investment in teaching and learning methods is needed to enhance clinical reasoning skills in nurses...
- Older people and adherence with medication: a review of the literatureMaggi Banning
Brunel University, School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Uxbridge UB8 3PH, UK
Int J Nurs Stud 45:1550-61. 2008..Older people represent a sizeable population of the UK. Many older people receive drug treatment for long-term conditions. Adherence with medication is therefore an important clinical, financial and resource intensive concern...
- A hermeneutic phenomenological study of community nurses' CPDMaggi Banning
School of Health and Social Care, Uxbridge
Br J Community Nurs 13:178-82. 2008..There is a need for organizations to invest in CPD of the workforce, consider cheaper alternatives for meeting CPD needs and for further research to assess the impact of CPD on clinical practice...
- Topical diclofenac: clinical effectiveness and current uses in osteoarthritis of the knee and soft tissue injuriesMaggi Banning
Brunel University, School of Health and Social Care, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3PH, UK
Expert Opin Pharmacother 9:2921-9. 2008....
- Case studies of patient interactions, care provision and the impact of emotions: a qualitative studyMaggi Banning
Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3PH, UK
J Cancer Educ 28:656-61. 2013..Educational support is needed to help nurses express their views in relation to emotional contagion, significance of repressed emotions and to identify supportive ways to assist nurses to communicate their experiences. ..
- Clinical nurses' expressions of the emotions related to caring and coping with cancer patients in Pakistan: a qualitative studyM Banning
School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UK
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 21:800-8. 2012..The strategies nurses use to manage emotional situations needs further research with workshops to enhance nurse's skills in emotional intelligence when caring for cancer patients...
- Managing the illness experience of women with advanced breast cancer: hopes and fears of cancer-related insecurityM Banning
School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UK
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 22:253-60. 2013....
- A review of clinical decision making: models and current researchMaggi Banning
The School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Brunel University, UK
J Clin Nurs 17:187-95. 2008..This was achieved by exploring the function and related research of the three available models of clinical decision making: information-processing model, the intuitive-humanist model and the clinical decision-making model...
- The think aloud approach as an educational tool to develop and assess clinical reasoning in undergraduate studentsMaggi Banning
Brunel University, School of Health Studies and Social Care, Mary Seacole Building, Uxbridge UB8 3PH, Middlesex, United Kingdom
Nurse Educ Today 28:8-14. 2008..J. Pediatric Health Care 11(1), 105-110.] and is one that should be adopted by nurse educators as a core teaching and learning strategy when educating pre-registration student nurses...
- The impact of culture and sociological and psychological issues on Muslim patients with breast cancer in PakistanMaggi Banning
Brunel University, School of Health Studies and Social Care, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, Middlesex, England
Cancer Nurs 32:317-24. 2009..Unique features of this study are women's need to seek spiritual support for their illness and the overriding innate characteristic of maternal responsibility. These cultural features require further analysis and research...
- A review of interventions used to improve adherence to medication in older peopleMaggi Banning
Brunel University, School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Uxbridge Middlesex, UB8 3PH, United Kingdom
Int J Nurs Stud 46:1505-15. 2009..Medication mismanagement is a continuous problem particularly in older people. Numerous interventions have been developed and tested in an attempt to improve adherence with medication in this client group...
- The use of topical diclofenac for pain in osteoarthritis of the knee: a reviewMaggi Banning
Advanced Clinical Practice, Brunel University School of Health and Social Care, Uxbridge, London
Br J Community Nurs 11:487-92. 2006..Findings imply that topical diclofenac sodium is an efficacious and safe method of pain control in patients with OA of the knee...
- Perceptions of breast health practices in Pakistani Muslim womenMaggi Banning
Brunel University, Uxbridge, England
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 10:841-7. 2009..This study aimed to investigate the perceptions of Pakistani Muslim women in relation to the aetiology of breast cancer and impressions of breast health. The study took place in Lahore, Pakistan...
- Adherence to adjuvant therapy in post-menopausal breast cancer patients: a reviewM Banning
Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UK
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 21:10-9. 2012..Concerted research is needed to investigate adherence rates, examine patient health beliefs in the medication management of post-menopausal breast cancer patients and also develop new measures to assess adherence with medication...
- Employment and breast cancer: a meta-ethnographyM Banning
School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UK
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 20:708-19. 2011..Moreover, health care professionals could become more involved in the education of breast cancer patients with regard to the timing of returning to work...
- Perceptions of breast health awareness in Black British womenMaggi Banning
School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Mary Seacole Building, Brunel University, Uxbridge UB8 3PH Middlesex, United Kingdom
Eur J Oncol Nurs 15:173-7. 2011..This pilot study aimed to address the views of Black British women on breast health awareness and breast health screening practices...
- Black women and breast health: a review of the literatureMaggi Banning
School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Brunel University Uxbridge, Middlesex, UK
Eur J Oncol Nurs 15:16-22. 2011..This literature review aimed to explore Black women's perceptions of breast health and factors that influence breast cancer screening practices...
- Cultural interrelationships and the lived experience of Pakistani breast cancer patientsMaggi Banning
Brunel University, School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB8 3PH, England, UK
Eur J Oncol Nurs 14:304-9. 2010..There is a paucity of British and international literature on the psychological, sociological and cultural correlates of breast health in ethnic minority women...
- A two-center study of Muslim women's views of breast cancer and breast health practices in Pakistan and the UKMaggie Banning
School of Health Studies and Social Care, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UK
J Cancer Educ 25:349-53. 2010..Women concurred that concise and relevant breast health education is needed irrespective of faith to improve cultural sensitivity and awareness in both Pakistani communities (both men and women)...
- Evaluating practice-based learning specific to the community matron roleMaggi Banning
Brunel University, Middlesex, UK
Br J Community Nurs 14:76-80. 2009..This study involved a small focus group of community matrons in training. The qualitative themes extracted from this work are reported on and suggest that practice-based learning is both valuable and efficacious...
- Nursing research: perspectives on critical thinkingMaggi Banning
School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Brunel University, Middlesex
Br J Nurs 15:458-61. 2006..If educators are to prepare nurses to become leaders in their profession, the educational development of these essential skills in nurses needs to be addressed...
- Medication errors: professional issues and concernsMaggi Banning
Brunel University, School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Middlesex
Nurs Older People 18:27-32. 2006....
- Advanced breast cancer: aetiology, treatment and psychosocial featuresMaggi Banning
Brunel University, School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Mary Seacole Building, Uxbridge, Middlesex, England
Br J Nurs 16:86-90. 2007....
- 'Nurse entrepreneurs' a case of government rhetoric?Michael Traynor
School of Health and Social Sciences, Middlesex University, London, UK
J Health Serv Res Policy 13:13-8. 2008....
- Symptoms and treatments of polycystic ovary syndromeMaggi Banning
Brunel University, School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Middlesex, UK
Br J Nurs 15:635-9. 2006..This article aims to examine the current aetiology, clinical manifestations, pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment options available to women with a diagnosis of PCOS...
- Student learning in care homesMaggi Banning
Nurs Older People 17:22-4. 2006..Although initially disappointed that they had not been allocated to acute hospital settings, students changed their views as they became more familiar with the learning environment..
- Approaches to teaching: current opinions and related researchMaggi Banning
Research Fellow in Evidence Based Nursing, The School of Health and Social Sciences, Middlesex University, Archway Campus, Furnival Building, 2 10 Highgate Hill, London N19 5LW, UK
Nurse Educ Today 25:502-8. 2005....
- Nurse prescribing, nurse education and related research in the United Kingdom: a review of the literatureMaggi Banning
Department of Adult Nursing, Canterbury Christ Church University College, North Holmes Road, Canterbury CT1 1QU, UK
Nurse Educ Today 24:420-7. 2004....
- Conceptions of evidence, evidence-based medicine, evidence-based practice and their use in nursing: independent nurse prescribers' viewsMaggi Banning
Faulty of Health, Department of Nursing, Canterbury Christ Church University College, Canterbury, UK
J Clin Nurs 14:411-7. 2005....
- The experience of living with breast cancerMaggi Banning
Breast J 14:317-8. 2008
- Enhancing older people's concordance with taking their medicationMaggi Banning
Department of Adult Nursing, Faculty of Health, Canterbury Christ University College, Canterbury, UK
Br J Nurs 13:669-74. 2004..As healthcare professionals, nurses, pharmacists and medical colleagues should work collaboratively to reduce the frequency of medication mismanagement in older people...
- The management of obesity: the role of the specialist nurseMaggi Banning
Canterbury Christ Church University College, Chatham Maritime, Kent, UK
Br J Nurs 14:139-44. 2005..The nursing profession needs to rise to the challenge and prepare nurses for a specialist role in obesity management...
- The principles of inflammation in the development of rheumatoid arthritisMaggi Banning
Department of Nursing, Canterbury Christ Church University College, Canterbury
Br J Nurs 14:277-83. 2005..Long-term care revolves around trying to maintain patient mobility and the protection of unaffected joints, monitoring for the side-effects from medication and progression of the disease or development of non-articular manifestations...
- Bacteria and the gastrointestinal tract: beneficial and harmful effectsMaggi Banning
The School of Health and Social Sciences, Middlesex University, Archway Campus, London
Br J Nurs 15:144-9. 2006....
- Pharmacology education: a theoretical framework of applied pharmacology and therapeuticsMaggi Banning
Faculty of Health, The South Bank University, London SE1 OAA, UK
Nurse Educ Today 23:459-66. 2003..This framework can be adapted to accommodate nurses studying for all parts of the register...