J M Brostoff
- Glucocorticoids as a novel approach to the treatment of disabling side effects of sodium stibogluconateJ M Brostoff
Registrar in Infectious Diseases, Ealing Hospital NHS Trust, London, UK
J Clin Pharm Ther 37:122-3. 2012..SbV has a side effect profile that requires treatment interruption in up to 28% of patients. Side effects can be unpleasant and - in the case of QTc prolongation - dangerous...
- Carbon monoxide poisoning in a patient with carbon dioxide retention: a therapeutic challengeTristan Ra Lane
Central Middlesex Hospital, Acton Lane, London, NW10 7NS, UK
Cases J 1:102. 2008..We suggest that patients with risk factors for obstructive lung disease be monitored extremely carefully during treatment for carbon monoxide toxicity...
- An unusual cause of fever and rash in an adultJoshua M Brostoff
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Central Middlesex Hospital, Acton Lane, London NW10 7NS, United Kingdom
Eur J Intern Med 19:67-9. 2008..A high index of suspicion is required to diagnose measles in an immunocompetent adult, and we suggest that occupational health departments should be more rigorous in screening for vaccinations in health workers...
- Phenytoin toxicity: an easily missed cause of cerebellar syndromeJ M Brostoff
Department of Elderly Care, Central Middlesex Hospital, London, UK
J Clin Pharm Ther 33:211-4. 2008....
- Late venous outflow obstruction after liver transplant: The 'piggy-back' syndromeJoshua M Brostoff
Medical Registrar, Central Middlesex Hospital, London, UK
Eur J Intern Med 19:374-6. 2008..We described a patient who developed combined venous outflow obstruction 6 years after liver transplant and was successfully treated with metallic stent placement. Mechanical 'torsion' is a rare cause of venous outflow obstruction...
- Primary Biliary Cirrhosis with a normal Alkaline Phosphatase: a case reportJoshua M Brostoff
34 Fitzjohns Avenue, London, NW3 5NB, UK
Cases J 1:33. 2008..The case is notable for the fact that primary biliary cirrhosis can manifest clinically without an elevation in alkaline phosphatase - normally the hallmark of the disease...
- Henoch-Schonlein Purpura with thrombocythaemia: an abnormality in Smad4 expression?Joshua M Brostoff
Central Middlesex Hospital, London, UK
Rheumatol Int 29:587-9. 2009..With normal Smad4 expression TGF-beta provides inhibition of thrombocyte proliferation. While this needs further elucidation, it could lead to a new approach to classification and management of HSP...
- Photosensitivity, corneal scarring and developmental delay: Xeroderma Pigmentosum in a tropical countryJames Halpern
Supervising Physician, Hospitalito Atitlàn, Santiago Atitlàn, Guatemala
Cases J 1:254. 2008..We highlight the difficulties encountered due to the lack of diagnostic and treatment modalities for this child, and offer a brief review of XP, including emerging treatments that show potential...