K P Morris
Affiliation: Birmingham Children's Hospital
- The relationship between blood lactate concentration, the Paediatric Index of Mortality 2 (PIM2) and mortality in paediatric intensive careKevin P Morris
Birmingham Children s Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Intensive Care Med 38:2042-6. 2012..Blood lactate concentration predicts mortality in neonates, infants, children and adults, with evidence that it has better predictive power than other markers of acid-base status such as absolute base excess or pH...
- Control of hyperglycaemia in paediatric intensive care (CHiP): study protocolDuncan Macrae
Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, Royal Brompton Hospital, Sydney Street, London SW3 6NP, UK
BMC Pediatr 10:5. 2010..Children show similar hyperglycaemic responses to surgery or critical illness. However it is not known whether tight control will benefit children given maturational differences and different disease spectrum...
- Effect of peritoneal dialysis on intra-abdominal pressure and cardio-respiratory function in infants following cardiac surgeryKevin P Morris
Department of Paediatric Intensive Care, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Cardiol Young 14:293-8. 2004..To investigate the relationship between dialysate volume, intra-abdominal pressure, and cardio-respiratory function in infants following cardiac surgery...
- A new formula for blood transfusion volume in the critically illK P Morris
Department of Paediatric Intensive Care, Birmingham Children s Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Arch Dis Child 90:724-8. 2005..Published formulae, frequently used to predict the volume of transfused red cells required to achieve a desired rise in haemoglobin (Hb) or haematocrit (Hct), do not appear to have been validated in clinical practice...
- Intracranial pressure complicating severe traumatic brain injury in children: monitoring and managementKevin P Morris
Diana Princess of Wales Children s Hospital, Steelhouse Lane, B4 6NH, Birmingham, UK
Intensive Care Med 32:1606-12. 2006..To evaluate current practice against recently published guidelines...
- Survey of the use of therapeutic hypothermia post cardiac arrestBarnaby R Scholefield
Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, Birmingham Children s Hospital, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham B4 6NH, UK
Arch Dis Child 95:796-9. 2010....
- Late-onset hyperlactataemia following paediatric cardiac surgeryLara Jackman
Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, Birmingham Children s Hospital, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham, UK
Intensive Care Med 35:537-45. 2009..To investigate the clinical significance of a late rise in blood lactate concentration, developing after PICU admission, in older children undergoing cardiac surgery...
- Early postoperative body temperature and developmental outcome after open heart surgery in infantsSerena M Cottrell
Department of Paediatric Intensive Care, Birmingham Children s Hospital, Steelehouse Lane, B4 6NH, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 77:66-71; discussion 71. 2004..We explored whether minor deviations in early postoperative body temperature after infant heart surgery affects developmental outcome...
- Norwood procedure for hypoplastic left heart syndrome: BT shunt or RV-PA conduit?Linda Edwards
Department of Paediatric Intensive Care, Birmingham Children s Hospital NHS Trust, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham, B4 6NH, United Kingdom
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 92:F210-4. 2007..It is argued that this will result in a more favourable balance between pulmonary and systemic circulations...
- Prediction of raised intracranial pressure complicating severe traumatic brain injury in children: implications for trial designRob J Forsyth
School of Clinical Medical Sciences Child Health, Sir James Spence Institute of Child Health, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Pediatr Crit Care Med 9:8-14. 2008..This would permit quantification of ICP elevation and enrollment as appropriate to randomized controlled trials of raised ICP interventions...
- Hypothermia therapy after traumatic brain injury in childrenJames S Hutchison
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, ON M5G 1X8, Canada
N Engl J Med 358:2447-56. 2008..However, the effect of hypothermia therapy on the neurologic outcome and mortality among children who have severe traumatic brain injury is unknown...