Mahmood F Bhutta
- Fair trade for surgical instrumentsMahmood F Bhutta
Department of ENT, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH Mahmood F Bhutta
BMJ 333:297-9. 2006
- Evolution and Otitis Media: A Review, and a Model to Explain High Prevalence in Indigenous PopulationsMahmood F Bhutta
1 Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital, 330 Grays Inn Road, London WC1X 8DA, UK E mail
Hum Biol 87:92-108. 2015..This exposed them to new strains of bacteria to which their immune system had not evolved immunity, perturbing a previously stable host-pathogen coevolutionary state. ..
- Surveying the Down syndrome mouse model resource identifies critical regions responsible for chronic otitis mediaMahmood F Bhutta
Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences, John Radcliffe Hospital, University of Oxford, Room 6607 Level 6, Headley Way, Oxford, OX3 9DU, UK
Mamm Genome 24:439-45. 2013..We also conclude that environmental factors likely play an important role in disease onset...
- Alternative recruitment strategies influence saliva sample return rates in community-based genetic association studiesMahmood F Bhutta
Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Oxford, Level 6, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headley Way, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Ann Hum Genet 77:244-50. 2013..Overall, study design significantly impacts upon response rates for genetic association studies recruiting from the community. Our findings will help researchers in constructing and costing a recruitment protocol...
- Mouse models of otitis media: strengths and limitationsMahmood Fazal Bhutta
Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences University of Oxford, Level 6, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 147:611-4. 2012..These drawbacks of the mouse may in the future limit its usefulness in otitis media research...
- Nasal polyps do not contain olfactory structuresM F Bhutta
Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
Rhinology 49:185-9. 2011..However, removal of polyps medial to the middle turbinate is controversial: some believe this will relieve physical obstruction to odourants, others state that removal here risks excising olfactory neuroepithelium...
- Parotid pleomorphic adenoma with solitary renal metastasisMahmood F Bhutta
Kettering General Hospital, Kettering, Northants, United Kingdom
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 48:61-3. 2010..Metastasising pleomorphic adenoma shows malignant clinical behaviour, and although it appears histologically benign, there may be unknown molecular features that determine its unusual ability to spread...
- Sneezing induced by sexual ideation or orgasm: an under-reported phenomenonMahmood F Bhutta
Wexham Park Hospital, Wexham Street, Wexham, Slough, Berkshire, UK
J R Soc Med 101:587-91. 2008..We surmise that an indiscrete stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system may be an underlying mechanism to explain this and other reported unusual triggers of sneezing...
- Sex and the nose: human pheromonal responsesMahmood F Bhutta
Department of ENT, Kettering General Hospital, Rothwell Road, Kettering, Northants NN16 8UZ, UK
J R Soc Med 100:268-74. 2007..However, increasing evidence from research in other animals suggests that olfaction may serve another and more important purpose, that of mate selection in sexual reproduction; indeed, olfaction may be an essential impetus for evolution...
- Cervico-thoracic teratoma masquerading as lymphatic malformationM F Bhutta
Department of Paediatric ENT, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, London, UK
J Laryngol Otol 120:955-8. 2006..The potential consequences are discussed...
- Myringotomy in the Junbo mouse model of chronic otitis media alleviates inflammation and cellular hypoxiaMahmood F Bhutta
UCL Ear Institute, London, United Kingdom MRC Harwell, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom Department of Otolaryngology, Barts Health NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom
Laryngoscope 124:E377-83. 2014..Here we explore whether surgical ventilation may alleviate chronic otitis media through downregulation of hypoxia...
- Quality of surgical instrumentsMahmood F Bhutta
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 89:190; author reply 190. 2007