- Change in the z-axis location of the sternal notch in an arms-raised vs arms-down position on CT examinationsY Al-Abed
Department of Radiology, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Norwich, UK
Br J Radiol 81:855-8. 2008..This may have implications when categorizing nodes at the cervicothoracic junction on staging CT examinations, when deciding if nodes might be accessible to ultrasound-guided biopsy, and in classifying goitres...
- A simple technique for safe mesenteric defect closure following bowel resectionYahya A Al Abed
Department of General Surgery, Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals, Essex SS16 5NL, United Kingdom
J Surg Tech Case Rep 4:22-3. 2012..We describe a novel technique that enables efficient mesenteric defect closure while minimizing the risk of blood vessel injury...
- Tight swimming trunks to prevent post scrotal surgery: an experimental justificationYahya A Al-Abed
Department of Urology, Southend University Hospital, Prittlewell Chase, Westcliff on Sea SS0 0RY, United Kingdom
Urol J 10:898-902. 2013..To conduct a study to measure the pressure effects of the different scrotal supports applied on a simulated expanding scrotal hematoma...
- Tissue-conserving, yet radical surgery for extensive gas-forming soft tissue infections arising from perirectal abscess: report of a caseYahya A Al-Abed
Department of General Surgery, North Middlesex University Hospital National Health Service Trust, Sterling Way, London, United Kingdom
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 13:332-5. 2012..In such instances, the high morbidity and mortality rates from the severe systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) associated with rapidly evolving necrotizing and gas-forming soft tissue infections are of major concern...
- Simultaneous xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis and gallbladder cancer in a patient with a large abdominal aortic aneurysmYahya Al-Abed
Department of Surgery, North Middlesex University Hospital, London, UK
Korean J Intern Med 27:338-41. 2012..There is a known possible association of this uncommon condition with gallbladder cancer. The management of concomitant pathologies can present a real challenge to the multidisciplinary team, especially with large aneurysms...
- Metastatic Hurthle Cell Carcinoma of the thyroid presenting as a Breast Lump: A Case ReportYahya Al-Abed
The Breast Unit, Department of Surgery, Southend University Hospital, Prittlewell Chase, Westcliff on Sea, Essex SS0 0RY, UK
Int Semin Surg Oncol 5:14. 2008..The breast is a rare site for metastasis from extramammary sources. We present the first case of breast metastasis from Hurthle cell carcinoma of the thyroid...
- A novel home laparoscopic simulatorYahya Al-Abed
Department of Surgery, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, NHS Trust, Norwich, United Kingdom
J Surg Educ 66:1-2. 2009..The development of a home laparoscopic simulator is reported here that is cheap and easy to build and incorporates an extra dimension of practical port insertion as well as a novel design for a mobile light and camera source...
- Hyperamylasaemia in ureteric colicY A Al-Abed
Southend University Hospital, Prittlewell Chase, Westcliff on Sea, SS0 0RY, UK
Postgrad Med J 85:108-9. 2009..Patients presenting with ureteric colic and elevated concentrations of serum amylase should raise the clinical suspicion of urinary extravasation...
- Outcomes of emergency colectomy for fulminant Clostridium difficile colitisYahya A Al-Abed
Department of Surgery, Southend University Hospital, Prittlewell Chase, Westcliff on Sea SS0 0RY, UK
Surgeon 8:330-3. 2010..difficile colitis (FCDC). Early surgical consultation is necessary to avoid delay in diagnosis. We present a retrospective review of the outcomes of colectomies for FCDC at our large district general hospital...