- Effectiveness of quinine versus artemether-lumefantrine for treating uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Ugandan children: randomised trialJane Achan
Makerere University School of Health Sciences, PO Box 7475, Kampala, Uganda
BMJ 339:b2763. 2009..To compare the effectiveness of oral quinine with that of artemether-lumefantrine in treating uncomplicated malaria in children...
- Antiretroviral agents and prevention of malaria in HIV-infected Ugandan childrenJane Achan
Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Kampala, Uganda
N Engl J Med 367:2110-8. 2012....
- Effect of trimethoprim-sulphamethoxazole on the risk of malaria in HIV-infected Ugandan children living in an area of widespread antifolate resistanceAnne F Gasasira
School of Medicine, Makerere University Kampala, Uganda
Malar J 9:177. 2010..This study assessed the incidence of falciparum malaria and the prevalence of resistance-conferring Plasmodium falciparum mutations in HIV-infected children receiving daily TS and HIV-uninfected children not taking TS...
- Placental malaria among HIV-infected and uninfected women receiving anti-folates in a high transmission area of UgandaPatrick M Newman
School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94131, USA
Malar J 8:254. 2009..TS decreases the risk of malaria in HIV-infected adults and children but has not been evaluated among pregnant women...
- Quinine, an old anti-malarial drug in a modern world: role in the treatment of malariaJane Achan
Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, P O Box 7475, Kampala, Uganda
Malar J 10:144. 2011..In HIV and TB infected populations, concerns about potential interactions between quinine and antiretroviral and anti-tuberculosis drugs exist, and these will need further research and pharmacovigilance...
- Case management of severe malaria--a forgotten practice: experiences from health facilities in UgandaJane Achan
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Kampala, Uganda
PLoS ONE 6:e17053. 2011..There is paucity of published information on current practices of severe malaria case management in sub-Saharan Africa; we evaluated the management practices for severe malaria in Ugandan health facilities..
- High risk of neutropenia in HIV-infected children following treatment with artesunate plus amodiaquine for uncomplicated malaria in UgandaAnne F Gasasira
Department of Internal Medicine, Makerere University, Mulago Hospital, Kampala, Uganda
Clin Infect Dis 46:985-91. 2008..Artemisinin-based combination therapies are rapidly being adopted for the treatment of malaria in Africa; however, there are limited data on their safety and efficacy among human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected populations...
- Malaria in Uganda: challenges to control on the long road to elimination: I. Epidemiology and current control effortsAdoke Yeka
Infectious Diseases Research Collaboration, Kampala, Uganda
Acta Trop 121:184-95. 2012..Despite these challenges, prospects for the control of malaria have improved, and with attention to underlying challenges, progress toward the control of malaria in Uganda can be expected...
- Quinine monotherapy for treating uncomplicated malaria in the era of artemisinin-based combination therapy: an appropriate public health policy?Adoke Yeka
Uganda Malaria Surveillance Project, Kampala, Uganda
Lancet Infect Dis 9:448-52. 2009....
- Effects of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole and insecticide-treated bednets on malaria among HIV-infected Ugandan childrenMoses R Kamya
Makerere University Medical School, Kampala, Uganda
AIDS 21:2059-66. 2007..The efficacy of TMP/SMX may be diminished where antifolate resistance to malaria is high. We evaluated the efficacy of these interventions for malaria prevention among Ugandan children...
- Parasite-based malaria diagnosis: are health systems in Uganda equipped enough to implement the policy?Daniel J Kyabayinze
Malaria Consortium, Upper Naguru East Road, P, O, Box 8045, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Public Health 12:695. 2012..Effective coverage of parasite-based malaria diagnosis (PMD) remains limited in malaria endemic countries. This study assessed the health system's capacity to absorb PMD at primary health care facilities in Uganda...
- Profile of T cell immune responses in HIV-infected children from UgandaIsaac Ssewanyana
Joint Clinical Research Centre, Kampala, Uganda
J Infect Dis 196:1667-70. 2007..Understanding the balance between immune activation and T cell immunity in HIV-infected children may provide further insights into the mechanisms leading to effective immune control...
- Efficacy of quinine, artemether-lumefantrine and dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine as rescue treatment for uncomplicated malaria in Ugandan childrenAdoke Yeka
Uganda Malaria Surveillance Project, Kampala, Uganda
PLoS ONE 8:e53772. 2013..Moreover, such practice goes against the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommendation to use combination therapy for uncomplicated malaria...
- Rectal versus intravenous quinine for the treatment of childhood cerebral malaria in Kampala, Uganda: a randomized, double-blind clinical trialJane Achan
Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
Clin Infect Dis 45:1446-52. 2007..We compared the efficacy and safety of intrarectal quinine with those of intravenous quinine in the treatment of childhood cerebral malaria...