Affiliation: Istanbul University
- Iron and ferritin levels in saliva of patients with thalassemia and iron deficiency anemiaDuran Canatan
Suleyman Demirel University, Department of Pediatric Hematology, Isparta, Turkey
Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis 4:e2012051. 2012..In conclusion, iron and ferritin saliva can be routinely used for diagnosis of both iron overload and deficiency; furthermore this procedure may be an important advantage for blood donors being easily available and not invasive...
- A new donor system for the patients with thalassemia: "Blood mother and blood father"Duran Canatan
Department of Pediatric Hematology, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Asian J Transfus Sci 4:109-11. 2010..In 1998, "Thalassemia flowers don't fade" campaigning was started to get regular voluntary blood for patients with thalassemia. We would like to present results of our campaigning...
- The Thalassemia center of Antalya State Hospital: 15 years of experience (1994 to 2008)Duran Canatan
Akdeniz Kan Hastaliklari Vakfi, Antelsan Is Merkezi, Kisla Mh Gulluk Cd, Antalya, Turkey
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 35:24-7. 2013..It served all patients for 15 years until the team was dispersed; thereafter, most of the patients were not followed up on a regular basis...
- Hemoglobinopathy control program in TurkeyDuran Canatan
Department of Pediatric Hematology, National Hemoglobinopathy Council and Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Community Genet 9:124-6. 2006..The hemoglobinopathy scientific committee was set up, a guidebook was published and a national HCP was started in these high-risk provinces...
- The use of recombinant activated factor VII in the circumcision operation in the case of a congenital factor VII deficiencyDuran Canatan
Department of Pediatrics, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta 32040, Turkey
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 18:375-6. 2007..The same dose was repeated at 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21 and 24 h post operation. The circumcision operation could therefore be safely performed in patients with congenital factor VII using rFVIIa...
- Soft tissue density variations in thalassemia major: a possible pitfall in lumbar bone mineral density measurements by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometryMustafa Yildiz
School of Medicine, Department of Nuclear Medicine, Suleyman Demirel University, 32100 Isparta, Turkey
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 22:723-6. 2005..The BMD of the L(3) vertebra was 0.3669 g/cm(2) (0.30 SD as compared with young adults). It is important to interpret the images visually in order to obtain true values of BMD, and preclude invalid BMD measurements...
- Evaluation of angiogenesis with vascular endothelial growth factor in patients with thalassemia majorSeref Olgar
Suleyman Demirel University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatric Hematology, Isparta, Turkey
Pediatr Int 52:247-51. 2010..However, it is known that angiogenetic factors, especially the vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), cause differentiation of the hemangioblast...
- Does the periodontal health of thalassemia major patients have an impact on the blood lipid profiles? A preliminary reportZuhal Yetkin Ay
Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Periodontology, Suleyman Demirel University, 32260, Çünür Isparta, Turkey
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 29:694-9. 2007..Further studies are needed to determine the lipid profile involvement magnitude and the cardiovascular disease risk caused by the periodontal health of TM patients...
- Elastic properties of the ascending aorta in patients with beta-thalassemia majorOmer Gedikli
Department of Cardiology, Sevket Demirel Heart Center, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Echocardiography 24:830-6. 2007..However, elastic properties of the aorta have not been sufficiently investigated in patients with beta-TM. We investigated whether beta-TM is related to impaired ascending aortic elastic properties...
- Analysis of pediatric thrombotic patients in TurkeyHale Oren
Department of Pediatrics, Dokuz Eylul University Faculty of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 21:573-83. 2004..The significant morbidity and mortality found in this study supports the need for multicentric prospective clinical trials to obtain more generalizable data on management and outcome of thrombosis in Turkish children...
- Frequency of consanguineous marriages in patients with hereditary blood disorders in southern TurkeyDuran Canatan
Community Genet 6:58. 2003
- Psychosocial burden of beta-thalassaemia major in Antalya, south TurkeyDuran Canatan
Department of Paediatric Haematology, Antalya State Hospital, P O Box 624, 07001 Antalya, Turkey
Soc Sci Med 56:815-9. 2003..The results reflect the need for a national policy for public education and screening of thalassaemia in Turkey in order to offer prenatal diagnosis for all families at risk of homozygous thalassaemia...