Affiliation: Faculty of Medicine
- Lack of association of childhood partial epilepsy with brain derived neurotrophic factor geneAycan Unalp
Dr Behcet Uz Child Disease and Pediatric Surgery Training and Research Hospital, Montro, Izmir, Turkey
ScientificWorldJournal 2012:414797. 2012..To draw any conclusion, further studies using larger sample sizes should be carried out in various ethnic populations in childhood epilepsies...
- Topiramate as a long-term therapy in children with refractory epilepsyAycan Unalp
Department of Pediatric Neurology, Behcet Uz Child Diseases and Pediatric Surgery Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey Tel 90 232 2387097 Fax 90 232 3668530 E mail
Neurosciences (Riyadh) 13:391-4. 2008..To evaluate the long-term efficacy, safety, and retention rate of topiramate (TPM) in childhood refractory epilepsies...
- Factor VII deficiency associated with valproate treatmentAycan Unalp
Behcet Uz Child Disease and Pediatric Surgery Educational and Research Hospital, Montro, Izmir, Turkey
Pediatr Int 50:403-5. 2008
- Comparison of the effectiveness of topiramate and sodium valproate in pediatric migraineAycan Unalp
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Neurology, Behcet Uz Child Disease and Pediatric Surgery Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
J Child Neurol 23:1377-81. 2008..4 +/- 2.5 hours, and from 20.5 +/- 16.1 to 5.5 +/- 9.2, respectively (P < .05). In conclusion, valproate and topiramate seem to be able to manage successfully childhood migraine without substantial differences in efficacy...
- Multiple cavernous malformations with supravermian arachnoid cystAycan Unalp
Department of Pediatric Neurology, Behcet UZ Child Research and Educational Hospital, Turkey
Indian J Pediatr 74:1034-6. 2007..This is the first report that demonstrates a case of pediatric multiple cavernous malformation coexisting with arachnoid cyst of the supravermian cistern...
- Prevalence and clinical findings of migraine and tension-type headache in adolescentsAycan Unalp
Department of Pediatric Neurology, Dokuz Eylul University Faculty of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Pediatr Int 49:943-9. 2007....
- Novel mutation of aspartoacylase gene in a Turkish patient with Canavan diseaseAycan Unalp
Pediatric Neurology, Dr Behçet Uz Children s Disease and Pediatric Surgery Education and Research Hospital, Montro Izmir
J Trop Pediatr 54:208-10. 2008..The patient's mother was found to be heterozygous for this mutation. We believe that future studies of aspartoacylase gene in various ethnic groups could lead to a better understanding of Canavan's pathophysiology and gene therapy...
- A case of Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome progressing to resistant epilepsyAycan Unalp
Division of Pediatric Neurology, Behçet Uz Child Disease and Pediatric Surgery Research and Educational Hospital, and Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Pediatr Neurol 37:140-3. 2007..Here we describe and discuss this patient, who initially presented with myoclonic seizures but then had a progression toward resistant epilepsy, along with electroencephalographic findings specific to Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome...
- Arachnoid cyst with growth hormone deficiencyAycan Unalp
Behçet Uz Child Disease and Surgery Education and Research Hospital, Montro Izmir, Turkey
Indian J Pediatr 74:294-6. 2007..Insulin tolerance and L-dopa growth hormone stimulation tests revealed an inefficient growth hormone response. An MRI of hypophysis and cranium yielded a shift of hypophysis and a large arachnoid cyst...
- Role of apolipoprotein E in febrile convulsionOzlem Giray
Division of Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Pediatr Neurol 39:241-4. 2008..Although apolipoprotein E4 is not a vulnerability factor regarding febrile convulsions, it seems effective in regard to prognoses...
- Prevalence and characteristics of recurrent headaches in Turkish adolescentsAycan Unalp
Karşiyaka Public Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Pediatr Neurol 34:110-5. 2006..5% was a common problem among the students with headaches. These results indicate that approximately one half of Turkish high school students have recurrent headaches which reduce the quality of their lives...
- Homocysteine levels in epileptic children receiving antiepileptic drugsSemra Kurul
Faculty of Medicine, Division of Pediatric Neurology, Department of Pediatrics, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
J Child Neurol 22:1389-92. 2007..Although the number of the study patients is limited, the authors recommend assessment of plasma homocysteine, serum vitamin B(12), and folic acid levels in children receiving enzyme-inducing antiepileptic drugs...
- Fukutin mutations in non-Japanese patients with congenital muscular dystrophy: less severe mutations predominate in patients with a non-Walker-Warburg phenotypeUluc Yis
Gaziantep Children s Hospital, Department of Pediatric Neurology, Gaziantep, Turkey
Neuromuscul Disord 21:20-30. 2011..Four of the five different FKTN mutations have not been previously described...
- Serum nerve growth factor levels in autistic children in Turkish population: a preliminary studyNida Dincel
Ege University Medical Faculty, Izmir, Turkey
Indian J Med Res 138:900-3. 2013..The objective of this preliminary study was to measure serum NGF concentrations of autistic children and compare these levels with those of healthy children...
- Diagnostic value of proton MR spectroscopy and diffusion-weighted MR imaging in childhood inherited neurometabolic brain diseases and review of the literatureHandan Cakmakci
Dokuz Eylul University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Radiology, Izmir, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 74:e161-71. 2010..05). DWI combined with MRS are complementary methods to routine cranial MRI for evaluating neurometabolic diseases which can give detailed information about neurochemistry of affected brain areas...
- Oxidant status in children after febrile seizuresSezgin Gunes
Department of Pediatrics, Dokuz Eylul University School of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Pediatr Neurol 40:47-9. 2009..Febrile seizures may cause significant oxidative stress, and these changes in oxidant status may be a step along the way to cell damage subsequent to febrile seizures...
- [Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis Cases Diagnosed by Increased CSF/Serum Measles Antibody Indices]Pinar Samlioglu
Izmir Tepecik Training and Research Hospital, Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Izmir, Turkey
Mikrobiyol Bul 46:716-8. 2012....
- Effect of nutritional support in children with spastic quadriplegiaOzlem Bekem Soylu
Department of Pediatrics, Dr Behcet Uz Children s Disease and Pediatric Surgery Training and Research Hospital, Alsancak, Izmir, Turkey
Pediatr Neurol 39:330-4. 2008..Although there was no difference regarding motor development or seizure frequency, further studies with a longer follow-up are required...