Affiliation: Ege University
- Valproate-associated reproductive and metabolic abnormalities: are epileptic women at greater risk than bipolar women?Fisun Akdeniz
Department of Psychiatry, Affective Disorders Unit, Ege University School of Medicine, 35100 Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 27:115-21. 2003..This study explores whether the association of VPA with reproductive endocrine abnormalities is applicable to women with bipolar disorder (BD) or is unique to women with epilepsy...
- Risk factors associated with childbearing-related episodes in women with bipolar disorderFisun Akdeniz
Ege University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Izmir, Turkey
Psychopathology 36:234-8. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate the impact of clinical and psychosocial factors associated with pregnancy and the postpartum period on the course of BD...
- Executive and verbal working memory dysfunction in first-degree relatives of patients with bipolar disorderEmre Bora
Department of Psychiatry, Affective Disorders Unit, Ege University School of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Psychiatry Res 161:318-24. 2008..Verbal working memory and executive function deficits may be useful endophenotypic markers of genetic vulnerability to BD...
- The effect of previous psychotic mood episodes on cognitive impairment in euthymic bipolar patientsEmre Bora
Affective Disorders Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Ege University School of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Bipolar Disord 9:468-77. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of previous psychotic features on neuropsychological measures, including sustained attention, in remitted bipolar patients...
- [Effects of valproate on male reproductive functions]Ebru Aldemir
Ege U Tip Fak, Psikiyatri AD, Affektif Hastaliklar Birimi, Izmir
Turk Psikiyatri Derg 20:376-84. 2009..In the second section we review the results of animal research, which could be beneficial in assessing the effects of valproate and epilepsy...
- The effect of antidepressant treatment on N-acetyl aspartate levels of medial frontal cortex in drug-free depressed patientsAli Saffet Gonul
Department of Psychiatry Affective Disorders Unit, Ege University, School of Medicine, 35100 Izmir, Turkey
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:120-5. 2006..Antidepressant treatment with its neurotrophic effects might play a positive role in restoring the neuronal integrity. Further studies are needed to support these initial findings...
- Effect of treatment on serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels in depressed patientsAli Saffet Gonul
Ege University School of Medicine Psychiatry, Department Affective Disorder Unit, 35100, Bornova Izmir, Turkey
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 255:381-6. 2005..These results support the hypothesis that BDNF might play a critical role in the pathophysiology of major depressive disorder and successful antidepressant treatment increases the attenuated BDNF levels in depressed patients...
- Female-specific health problems in mental patientsFisun Akdeniz
Affective Disorders Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Ege University, School of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Curr Opin Psychiatry 23:378-82. 2010..Different from other reviews, we will summarize the effects of current mental disorder/psychotropic medication on the female-specific reproduction-related events (such as menstrual regularity, pregnancy, postpartum period and menopause)...
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors combined with venlafaxine in depressed patients who had partial response to venlafaxine: four casesAli Saffet Gonul
Affective Disorders Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Ege University, School of Medicine, 35100 Izmir, Turkey
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 27:889-91. 2003..They showed only a partial response to high dose of venlafaxine but improved after the addition of an SSRI (sertraline, citalopram, or paroxetine) to venlafaxine. The combination treatment was well tolerated in all of the cases...
- Affective temperaments as measured by TEMPS-A in patients with bipolar I disorder and their first-degree relatives: a controlled studySermin Kesebir
Affective Disorder Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Tip Fakultesi, Ege University, Bornova, Izmir 35100, Turkey
J Affect Disord 85:127-33. 2005....
- Is obesity a risk factor for psychopathology among adolescents?Serpil Erermis
Department of Child Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
Pediatr Int 46:296-301. 2004..The aim of the present study was to explore the type and frequency of psychopathology in a clinical as well as a non-clinical sample of obese adolescents, and in a normal weight control group...
- Low serum levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in patients with schizophrenia do not elevate after antipsychotic treatmentSebnem Pirildar
Department of Psychiatry, Medical Faculty, Ege University, Bornova 35100, Izmir, Turkey
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 28:709-13. 2004..05). Our results support the view that BDNF would be associated with schizophrenia. However, we could not conclude that treatment with antipsychotics alters serum BDNF levels in patients with schizophrenia...
- Effectiveness and tolerability of mirtazapine and amitriptyline in alcoholic patients with co-morbid depressive disorder: a randomized, double-blind studyA Ender Altintoprak
Department of Psychiatry, Ege University School of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Hum Psychopharmacol 23:313-9. 2008....
- Sustained attention deficits in manic and euthymic patients with bipolar disorderEmre Bora
Melbourne Neuropsychiatry Centre, University of Melbourne, Australia
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:1097-102. 2006..In contrast, the exacerbation of seemingly trait-related impairments in the manic state can be at least partly explained by the impact of pharmacological therapy...
- [Is there a relationship between mood disorders and affective temperaments?]Fisun Akdeniz
Ege U Tip Fak, Psikiyatri AD, Affektif Hastaliklar Birimi, Izmir
Turk Psikiyatri Derg 15:183-90. 2004....
- Menstrually related symptom changes in women with treatment-responsive bipolar disorderFigen Karadag
Bakirkoy State Hospital for Psychiatric and Neurological Diseases, Istanbul, Turkey
Bipolar Disord 6:253-9. 2004....
- [The relationship of affective temperament and clinical features in bipolar disorder]Sermin Kesebir
Psikiyatri Kl, Kirikkale
Turk Psikiyatri Derg 16:164-9. 2005..Testing the relationships between phenomenological features, course, severity of episodes, overall severity of illness and comorbid conditions would clarify the reliability and validity of affective temperamental descriptions...
- [The role and importance of cognitive symptoms in bipolar disorder]Emre Bora
University of Melbourne, Melbourne Neuropsychiatry Centre, Melbourne
Turk Psikiyatri Derg 19:81-93. 2008..Our aim was to review evidence of the role of cognitive deficits in bipolar disorder and their relationship to other factors, such as disorder variables, treatment, additional diagnoses, genetic risk, and brain imaging findings...
- Neuroleptic malignant-like syndrome induced with low-dose quetiapine treated with electroconvulsive therapyEmre Bora
Eur Psychiatry 18:323. 2003
- Serum nitric oxide metabolite levels and the effect of antipsychotic therapy in schizophreniaFatma Taneli
Department of Biochemistry and Clinical Biochemistry, Celal Bayar University School of Medicine, Manisa, Turkey
Arch Med Res 35:401-5. 2004..Our secondary aim was to further evaluate the impact of psychopharmacologic treatment on circulating NO levels not assessed previously...