- Psychiatric co-morbidity and substance use disorders: treatment in parallel systems or in one integrated system?
Institut de Neuropsiquiatria i Addicions, Hospital del Mar IMIM, Parc de Salut Mar, Passeig Maritim 25 29, Barcelona, Spain
Subst Use Misuse 47:1005-14. 2012
- Impact of co-occurring psychiatric disorders on retention in a methadone maintenance program: an 18-month follow-up study
Institute of Psychiatry and Addiction, Hospital del Mar and Institut Municipal d Investigació Mèdica, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Environ Res Public Health 6:2822-32. 2009
..672] were related to retention. In the follow-up period 19 new diagnoses were made, mainly major depression and antisocial and borderline personality disorders. Co-occurring psychiatric disorders should be assessed during MMT follow-up...
- Clinical pharmacology of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, "ecstasy"): the influence of gender and genetics (CYP2D6, COMT, 5-HTT)
Human Pharmacology and Clinical Neurosciences Research Group, Neuroscience Research Program, IMIM, Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute, Parc de Salut Mar, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e47599. 2012
..4 mg/kg MDMA to the gender differences observed in drug effects appears to be negligible or even null. In contrast, 5-HTTLPR and COMT val158met genotypes play a major role...
- Changes in CYP1A2 activity in humans after 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, ecstasy) administration using caffeine as a probe drug
Human Pharmacology and Clinical Neurosciences Research Group, Neurosciences Research Program, IMIM Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute, Barcelona, Spain
Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 27:605-13. 2012
..Results show an increase in CYP1A2 activity when CYP2D6 is inhibited by MDMA in both genders, being more pronounced in females...
- Impact of substance dependence and dual diagnosis on the quality of life of heroin users seeking treatment
Department of Psychiatry and Drug Abuse and Psychiatric Research Group, Hospital del Mar IAPS and Institut Municipal d Investigació Mèdica IMIM, and Departament de Psiquiatria i Medicina Legal, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Subst Use Misuse 43:612-32. 2008
..Mean scores for PCS-12 and MCS-12 were 44.1+/-10.1 and 39.9+/-11.7, without differences by presence or absence of dual diagnosis. Heroin users on methadone treatment showed a high prevalence of dual diagnosis and a very impaired HRQoL...
- Contribution of cytochrome P450 and ABCB1 genetic variability on methadone pharmacokinetics, dose requirements, and response
Institut de Neuropsiquiatria i Addiccions Parc de Salut Mar, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e19527. 2011
..Pharmacokinetic factors could explain some but not all differences in MMT outcome and methadone dose requirements...
- 5-HTTLPR polymorphism, mood disorders and MDMA use in a 3-year follow-up study
Human Pharmacology and Clinical Neurosciences Research Group, Institut Municipal d Investigació Mèdica IMIM Hospital del Mar, Dr Aiguader 88, Barcelona, Spain
Addict Biol 15:15-22. 2010
..018). Ecstasy use was associated with a higher rate of cannabis abuse/dependence disorders and mood disorders than cannabis use. In the ecstasy users, 5-HTTLPR polymorphism may result in a high vulnerability to primary mood disorders...
- Sex differences in 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA; ecstasy)-induced cytochrome P450 2D6 inhibition in humans
Human Pharmacology and Clinical Neurosciences Research Group, Neuropsychopharmacology Program, IMIM Hospital del Mar Research Institute, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Pharmacokinet 50:319-29. 2011
..These data were compared with the data obtained from a previous study in male subjects...
- Prevalence of long QTc interval in methadone maintenance patients
Drug Addiction Unit, IAPS Hospital del Mar, Passeig Maritim 25 29, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Drug Alcohol Depend 99:327-32. 2009
..A cross-sectional study was designed to evaluate the prevalence of long QTc (LQTc) interval in patients in methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) and risk factors for LQTc...
- Structural and functional imaging studies in chronic cannabis users: a systematic review of adolescent and adult findings
Psychiatry, Institute of Neurosciences, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, CIBERSAM, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 8:e55821. 2013
..We conducted a systematic review to assess the evidence of the impact of chronic cannabis use on brain structure and function in adults and adolescents...
- Personality profile in young current regular users of cocaine
M Jesús Herrero
Health Services Research Unit IMIM, Barcelona, Spain
Subst Use Misuse 43:1378-94. 2008
..The limitations and implications of the study are discussed...
- Effectiveness of antiretroviral therapy in HIV-1-infected active drug users attended in a drug abuse outpatient treatment facility providing a multidisciplinary care strategy
Gabriel V Sanchez
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital del Mar, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Curr HIV Res 10:356-63. 2012
..We describe the effectiveness of HAART provided in a drug abuse outpatient treatment facility through a comprehensive integrated care that includes medical, drug dependence, and psychosocial support...
- Response to methadone maintenance treatment is associated with the MYOCD and GRM6 genes
Institut de Neuropsiquiatria i Addiccions Parc de Salut Mar, Barcelona, Spain
Mol Diagn Ther 14:171-8. 2010
..Most studies have focused on genetic polymorphisms related to methadone pharmacokinetics and, to a lesser extent, those genes implicated in the pharmacodynamics of methadone...
- The influence of genetic and environmental factors among MDMA users in cognitive performance
Human Pharmacology and Clinical Neurosciences Research Group, Neurosciences Research Program, IMIM Hospital del Mar Research Institute, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e27206. 2011
..Both MDMA lifetime use and gene-related individual differences influence cognitive dysfunction in ecstasy users...
- Relative abuse liability of gamma-hydroxybutyric acid, flunitrazepam, and ethanol in club drug users
Pharmacology Research Unit, Human Pharmacology and Clinical Neurosciences Research Group, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, c Doctor Aiguader 80, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:625-38. 2007
..To evaluate GHB-induced subjective and physiological effects, its relative abuse liability and its impact on psychomotor performance in club drug users...
- The consequences of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine induced CYP2D6 inhibition in humans
Human Pharmacology and Clinical Neurosciences Research Group, Neuropsychopharmacology Program, IMIM Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:523-9. 2008
..CYP2D6 activity recovered after 10 days with a recovery half-life of 46.6 hours. In addition to the possible long-term serotonergic effects of MDMA, users must be warned of the consequences of such an inhibition...
- Antipsychotic drugs in cocaine dependence: A systematic review and meta-analysis
Human Pharmacology Unit, Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute IMIM, UCICEC CAIBER, Parc de Salut Mar, 08003 Barcelona, Spain Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona Department of Pharmacology, Therapeutics and Toxicology and Department of Psychiatry, 08193 Bellaterra Cerdanyola del Valles, Spain
J Subst Abuse Treat 45:1-10. 2013
..91, 95%CI=0.82-1.02). Risperidone reduced slightly dropouts in comparison to placebo (RR=0.87; 95%CI=0.79-0.97). To date there is insufficient evidence to justify the use of antipsychotic drugs for cocaine dependence...
- Staff regard towards working with substance users: a European multi-centre study
Substance Use Disorders Research Group, Institut Municipal d Investigació Mèdica Hospital del Mar, C Dr Aiguader 88, Barcelona, Spain
Addiction 106:1114-25. 2011
..To compare regard for working with different patient groups (including substance users) among different professional groups in different health-care settings in eight European countries...
- Anticonvulsant drugs in cocaine dependence: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Human Pharmacology Unit, IMIM Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain
J Subst Abuse Treat 38:66-73. 2010
..85-1.06) compared to placebo. Available clinical trials indicate that there is insufficient evidence to justify the use of anticonvulsant drugs in treating cocaine dependence...
- Psychiatric comorbidity in young cocaine users: induced versus independent disorders
M Jesús Herrero
Health Services Research Unit IMIM Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain
Addiction 103:284-93. 2008
..To examine the psychiatric status of young cocaine users using a validated instrument for the evaluation of psychiatric comorbidity, emphasizing the distinction between independent and induced psychiatric conditions...
- Psychiatric comorbidity in illicit drug users: substance-induced versus independent disorders
Substance Use Disorders Research Group, Institut de Recerca Hospital del Mar IMIM, Barcelona, Spain
Drug Alcohol Depend 113:147-56. 2011
..In this study we determine the risks associated with independent and substance-induced psychiatric disorders among a sample of 629 illicit drug users recruited from treatment and out of treatment settings...
- Methadone maintenance treatment in Spain: the success of a harm reduction approach
Institut de Neuropsiquiatria i Addicions, Hospital del Mar, Institut Hospital del Mar d Investigacions Mèdiques, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Passeig Maritim 25 29, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Bull World Health Organ 91:136-41. 2013
..Spain was also the European country with the highest number of cases of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome transmitted through illicit drug injection...
- Dual diagnosis in an inpatient drug-abuse detoxification unit
Department of Psychiatry, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Addict Res 13:192-200. 2007
..A total of 80% of the patients successfully completed the detoxification process. The present results enhance the value of detoxification in a general hospital as a first step of the overall treatment strategy...
- Consumption of new psychoactive substances in a Spanish sample of research chemical users
Human Pharmacology and Clinical Neurosciences Unit and Drug Addiction Unit, IMIM Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute, INAD Hospital del Mar, Parc de Salut Mar, Barcelona, Spain
Hum Psychopharmacol 28:332-40. 2013
..To know the pattern of use of new psychoactive substances (NPSs) in a Spanish sample of research chemical (RC) users and to deepen the RC user profile and risk reduction strategies employed...
- Importance of clinical diagnoses for comorbidity studies in substance use disorders
Drug Abuse Unit, Institut d Atenció Psiquiátrica IAPS, Hospital del Mar, Universitat Autonoma Barcelona, Passeig Maritim 25 29, E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Neurotox Res 10:253-61. 2006
- Efficacy of antidepressants in substance use disorders with and without comorbid depression. A systematic review and meta-analysis
Psychiatric and Drug Abuse Department, Hospital del Mar IAPs, Passeig Maritim 25 29, E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Drug Alcohol Depend 78:1-22. 2005
..Differences both related to individual characteristics and specific antidepressant drugs need to be clarified in future studies...