- Congenital absence of cartilaginous tracheal rings associated with esophageal atresia and trifurcated carina: a novel anomaly?
Paediatric Surgery Department, Istituto G Gaslini, 16148 Genova, Italy
J Pediatr Surg 47:1008-11. 2012
..In our experience, it has been associated with EA and trifurcated carina. Our limited experience suggests resection of the abnormal segment and tracheal anastomosis as the best treatment...
- Absorbable stabilisation of the bar in minimally invasive repair of pectus excavatum
Pediatric Surgery, G Gaslini Institute, Genova, Italy
Eur J Pediatr Surg 18:407-9. 2008
..Their efficacy for the stabilisation of the bar has not been proved yet. In this paper we compare the surgical outcome in two groups of patients, one treated with metallic and the other with absorbable stabilisers...
- Thymectomy to achieve primary closure of total sternal cleft
Pediatric Surgery Department, G Gaslini Institute, Genova, Italy
J Pediatr Surg 43:e17-20. 2008
..We suggest considering this simple procedure in selected patients to reduce the risk of mediastinal compression...
- [The treatment of pectus excavatum: results of a mininvasive surgical technique on the first 50 patients]
Dipartimento di Chirurgia Pediatrica, Istituto Giannina Gaslini, Genova, Italia
Minerva Pediatr 60:391-6. 2008
..Pectus excavatum is the commonest thoracic congenital malformation, but its treatment remains not well known. The authors present the results of the mini-invasive repair at G. Gaslini Institute of Genoa, Italy...
- Long-term urologic outcome in patients with caudal regression syndrome, compared with meningomyelocele and spinal cord lipoma
Paediatric Surgery, Istituto Giannina Gaslini, 16148 Genoa, Italy
J Pediatr Surg 43:530-3. 2008
..The long-term urologic outcome in a large series of patients with neural tube defects was evaluated...
- Dextrocardia in patients with Poland syndrome: phenotypic characterization provides insight into the pathogenesis
Pediatric Surgery Department, Gaslini Children Hospital, Genova, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 139:1177-82. 2010
..We studied the clinical correlation between these 2 anomalies, and we tried to elucidate whether dextrocardia or Poland syndrome comes first...
- Risk factors for renal function impairment in a series of 502 patients born with spinal dysraphisms
Pediatric Surgery Unit, G Gaslini Institute, Genova, Italy
J Pediatr Urol 7:39-43. 2011
..To evaluate the risk of renal damage in a large series of patients affected by spinal dysraphism...
- Lipoblastoma with unique localization requiring tracheal and esophageal resection
Pediatric Surgery, Istituto Gaslini, Genova 16148, Italy
J Pediatr Surg 45:e21-3. 2010
..To our knowledge, this is the first report of such localization of this tumor...
- Granular cell tumor mimicking a subglottic hemangioma
Pediatric Surgery Department, Istituto G Gaslini, 16148 Genoa, Italy
J Pediatr Surg 45:e9-11. 2010
..Granular cell tumor must be considered in the differential diagnosis of upper airway obstructive symptoms in infancy and childhood...
- Diagnostic and therapeutic approach to multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B in pediatric patients
Divisione e Cattedra di Chirurgia Pediatrica, Istituto G Gaslini, Largo G Gaslini, Genoa, Italy
Pediatr Surg Int 18:378-83. 2002
..The surgical treatment of MEN 2B is total thyroidectomy with cervical lymphadenectomy of the central compartment of the neck. When possible, this intervention should be performed prophylactically before 1 year of age...
- Sacral development in anorectal malformations and in normal population
Department of Paediatric Surgery, G Gaslini Institute, Largo G Gaslini, 5, 16 147 Genoa, Italy
Pediatr Radiol 31:858-62. 2001
..The SR is obtained by comparing sacrum size with fixed bony parameters of the pelvis. In previous studies, the average normal SR was calculated to be 0.74 for the anteroposterior view (APSR) and 0.77 for the lateral view (LSR)...
- Gaslini's tracheal team: preliminary experience after one year of paediatric airway reconstructive surgery
Paediatric Surgery Unit, Gaslini Children s Hospital, Genova, Italy
Ital J Pediatr 37:51. 2011
..Aim of this study is to present the results of the first year of airway reconstructive surgery activity of the Tracheal Team...
- Bilateral endoclose approach for the stabilization of the bar in pectus repair
Department of Pediatric Surgery, G Gaslini Institute, Genova, Italy
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 19:S227-8. 2009
..Hamilton HM, Bermuda). The left hemithorax is visualized from the right side, pushing the optic through the mediastinum following the bar and staying just below it...
- Preperitoneoscopic approach for bladder neck sling suspension in a boy: preliminary experience
Pediatric Surgery Department, G Gaslini Institute, University of Genoa, Italy
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 20:497-501. 2010
..This report is aimed at describing our preliminary experience with the preperitoneoscopic approach to the bladder neck for rectus fascial sling suspension in neurogenic bladder...
- Poland syndrome with bilateral features: case description with review of the literature
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Gaslini Children Hospital, Genova, Italy
Am J Med Genet A 149:1597-602. 2009
..In this study, we reviewed the bilateral features present in our patient and those described in the literature. Hypotheses explaining bilateral features in PS are reviewed...
- Phenotypic spectrum and management of sternal cleft: literature review and presentation of a new series
Pediatric Surgery, Giannina Gaslini Children s Hospital, and University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 41:4-9. 2012
..Although primary closure is the preferred option and should be performed in the neonatal period, the use of prostheses warrants good results as well. Prior to treatment, associated defects and syndromes should be excluded...
- Removal of pectus bar fixed with absorbable vs metallic stabilizers
Pediatric Surgery, Istituto Gaslini, 16148 Genova, Italy
J Pediatr Surg 46:1338-41. 2011
..Our study aims to evaluate bar removal in 2 groups of patients with metallic and absorbable stabilizers, respectively...
- Aortopexy for the treatment of tracheomalacia in children: review of the literature
Paediatric Surgery, G, Gaslini Institute, Genova, Italy
Ital J Pediatr 38:62. 2012
..Other treatments of tracheomalacia, particularly tracheal stenting, were associated with a higher rate of failure, severe morbidity and mortality...
- Risk management in pediatric surgery
Pediatric Surgery Department, G Gaslini Children s Hospital, Largo G Gaslini, 5, 16147, Genoa, Italy
Pediatr Surg Int 25:683-90. 2009
..To present the experience documented over 1 year of analysis and quality control on surgical complications and organizational accidents...
- Hand and upper limb anomalies in Poland syndrome: a new proposal of classification
Microsurgery and Hand Surgery Unit Orthopaedics and Traumatology Department, G Gaslini Institute, Genoa, Italy
J Pediatr Orthop 32:727-31. 2012
..In this work, a new classification of hand and upper limb anomalies in PA is proposed, on the basis of the clinical and instrumental evaluation of 175 patients...
- HLXB9 homeobox gene and caudal regression syndrome
U O Neurochirurgia, Istituto G Gaslini, Genova, Italy
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 76:205-9. 2006
..Previous reports have shown HLXB9 to be a major causative gene for CS. The aim of our study was to reevaluate the involvement of the HLXB9 gene in a larger group of CRS cases...
- The nuss procedure after breast augmentation for female pectus excavatum
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Giannina Gaslini Children s Hospital, Largo G Gaslini 5, 16148, Genova, Italy
Aesthetic Plast Surg 34:397-400. 2010
..Moreover, for breast implant patients, this technique is absolutely feasible without major complications...
- Currarino syndrome: proposal of a diagnostic and therapeutic protocol
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Gaslini Children's Hospital, Genoa, Italy
J Pediatr Surg 39:1305-11. 2004
..Early diagnosis and treatment are essential to avoid morbidity and mortality from an undiagnosed presacral mass...
- Laparoscopic-assisted peritoneal dialysis catheter implantation in pediatric patients
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Gaslini Children s Hospital and Research Institute, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Urology 69:1185-9. 2007
..To assess the feasibility and complications of laparoscopic-assisted placement of peritoneal dialysis catheters (PDCs) in pediatric patients...
- Anorectal malformations associated with enteric dysganglionosis in Danforth's short tail (Sd) mice
Department and Chair of Pediatric Surgery, G Gaslini Institute, University of Genoa, Italy
J Pediatr Surg 34:1818-21. 1999
..In the current study, the Sd mouse enteric nervous system (ENS) was thoroughly investigated with specific immunohistochemical markers...
- Exclusion of the Sonic Hedgehog gene as responsible for Currarino syndrome and anorectal malformations with sacral hypodevelopment
Laboratorio di Genetica Molecolare, Istituto G Gaslini, Genova Quarto, Italy
Hum Genet 104:108-10. 1999
..In addition, the screening of SHH in 7 CS and in 15 sporadic ARM patients with sacral hypodevelopment allowed us to exclude its role in the pathogenesis of these disorders...
- Histochemical study of Dom mouse: A model for Waardenburg-Hirschsprung's phenotype
Department of Pediatric Surgery, G. Gaslini Children's Hospital, University of Genova, Genoa, Italy
J Pediatr Surg 39:1098-103. 2004
..Because dysganglionosis in this animal model (Dom/+) was evident in 79% of cases (AG or HG), we concluded that Dom mice could represent important models for further experimental studies...
- Caudal regression syndrome: an online multicentre survey. Urological long-term results
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Hospital Gaslini, Genova, Italy
Eur J Pediatr Surg 12:S26-8. 2002
- Associated anomalies in intestinal neuronal dysplasia
J Pediatr Surg 37:219-23. 2002
..Abnormalities of the fetal ENS could determine the IND phenotype, which is likely to contribute to the pathogenesis of different intestinal malformations and in particular of anorectal and "rotation" anomalies...
- A new rapid acetylcholinesterase histochemical method for the intraoperative diagnosis of Hirschsprung's disease and intestinal neuronal dysplasia
Department and Chair of Pediatric Surgery, Giannina Gaslini Children s Hospital University of Genova, Genova, Italy
Eur J Pediatr Surg 11:300-4. 2001
..We propose the following diagnostic protocols: a) for preoperative histochemical study: conventional AChE plus LDH and NADPH-diaphorase; b) for intraoperative study: rapid AChE plus ANE...
- Feasibility of perineal sagittal approaches in patients without anorectal malformations
A Pini Prato
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Giannina Gaslini Institute, University of Genova, Largo G Gaslini 5, 16147 Genova, Italy
Pediatr Surg Int 20:762-7. 2004
..Although tumours can be treated via these approaches, outcome remains related to the nature and malignancy of the disease itself...