Affiliation: Wageningen University
Country: The Netherlands
- Anemia in relation to body mass index and waist circumference among Chinese womenYu Qin
Department of Chronic Disease Control, Jiangsu Province Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Nanjing, China
Nutr J 12:10. 2013..Anemia was defined as hemoglobin concentration < 12 g/dl. Prevalence ratios (PRs) of the relationship between anemia and BMI or waist circumference were calculated using Poisson regression...
- Iodine supplementation in pregnancy and its effect on child cognitionAlida Melse-Boonstra
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Trace Elem Med Biol 26:134-6. 2012..The outcomes of these trials will contribute importantly to the evidence base for iodine supplementation of pregnant women living in areas of mild iodine deficiency...
- Iodine deficiency in pregnancy, infancy and childhood and its consequences for brain developmentAlida Melse-Boonstra
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, 6700 EV Wageningen, The Netherlands
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 24:29-38. 2010..Urinary iodine may also be useful but only at the population level. Adequate salt iodisation will cover the requirements of infants and children as well as pregnant women. However, close monitoring remains essential...
- Bioavailability of polyglutamyl folic acid relative to that of monoglutamyl folic acid in subjects with different genotypes of the glutamate carboxypeptidase II geneAlida Melse-Boonstra
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences and the Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, 6700 EV Wageningen, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 80:700-4. 2004..The 1561T allele of the glutamate carboxypeptidase II gene (GCPII), which codes for folylpoly-gamma-glutamyl carboxypeptidase, may impair intestinal absorption of dietary folates...
- A dual-isotope-labeling method of studying the bioavailability of hexaglutamyl folic acid relative to that of monoglutamyl folic acid in humans by using multiple orally administered low dosesAlida Melse-Boonstra
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 84:1128-33. 2006....
- Betaine concentration as a determinant of fasting total homocysteine concentrations and the effect of folic acid supplementation on betaine concentrationsAlida Melse-Boonstra
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences and the Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Wageningen, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 81:1378-82. 2005..Folic acid supplementation increases the betaine concentration, which indicates that the 2 remethylation pathways are interrelated...
- Quantifying folate bioavailability: a critical appraisal of methodsAlida Melse-Boonstra
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences, Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 7:539-45. 2004..Studies on folate bioavailability from total diets are urgently required in order to evaluate current recommendations for folate intake...
- Validation of a food frequency questionnaire to assess folate intake of Dutch elderly peopleOndine van de Rest
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 98:1014-20. 2007..Our FFQ showed a weak correlation between folate intake and blood folate concentrations and reproducibility was acceptable. This FFQ is able to rank subjects according to their folate intake...
- Sharply higher rates of iron deficiency in obese Mexican women and children are predicted by obesity-related inflammation rather than by differences in dietary iron intakeAna C Cepeda-Lopez
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 93:975-83. 2011..Obese individuals may be at increased risk of iron deficiency (ID), but it is unclear whether this is due to poor dietary iron intakes or to adiposity-related inflammation...
- Bioavailability of heptaglutamyl relative to monoglutamyl folic acid in healthy adultsAlida Melse-Boonstra
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences, Wageningen University, Wageningen, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 79:424-9. 2004..Bioefficacy, determined by changes in plasma homocysteine concentrations, was 106% (77%, 134%). CONCLUSION: The polyglutamate chain of folates in the diet reduces their bioavailability...